Empires Apart is now in beta, sign up!

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Empires Apart is now in beta, sign up!

Post by gamevideo113 »

For those of you who might be interested in this game, you should totally know that Empires Apart will very soon move onto its closed beta stage, sign ups are now open!

Beta announcement trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGdKwJfcY8E

Some screenshots:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/530630/Empires_Apart/

Hope to see you guys in game!
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: Empires Apart is now in beta, sign up!

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Already signed up :P

lets wait and see...
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Typical they won't send me an email to sign up for their forum ...
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Love what I have seen of the visuals for this game. Just signed up!
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

looks bad
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I mean they trailer isn't even any gameplay
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

WickedCossack wrote:Typical they won't send me an email to sign up for their forum ...

They are soon to be shut down. The ESOC Media Team have copyrighted the word "Empires" and are seeking legal action.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

If you want to see some gameplay, here it is, one of the devs played a skirmish game during the last stream: http://www.twitch.tv/destinybit/v/16393 ... =a&t=2753s

It should start at around 46 minutes in the vod
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

WickedCossack wrote:Typical they won't send me an email to sign up for their forum ...

Do you have issues with the sign up? If so i will let the devs/publisher know
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

gamevideo113 wrote:

Do you have issues with the sign up? If so i will let the devs/publisher know

I just sent them an email to their support line saying I didn't receive any confirmation to sign up for their forum (and consequently their beta) so hopefully they will get back to me. It looks interesting and I just like to play RTS games. :P
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

I also asked them personally and they said it might take some time, so you should be fine :)
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

gamevideo113 wrote:I also asked them personally and they said it might take some time, so you should be fine :)

It's ok, it all went through, I just got the email. :love:

Thanks though.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

wow haha 500 views already

these guys are gonna be RICH
Top quality poster.
Bulgaria Khasp
Crossbow

Post by Khasp »

Oh shit AoE O is back and now this :O. This year keeps getting better!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

This looks bad. What's up with this thing where people refuse to play AoC instead of half-assed attempts to remake it? Do people not know it's still active? There was an epic best of 21 finals recently
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Goodspeed wrote:This looks bad. What's up with this thing where people refuse to play AoC instead of half-assed attempts to remake it? Do people not know it's still active?

ye my thoughts exactly this applies to literally every game thats currently in development or has already been released ( like aoeo, this game, 0 AD etc ). Why should i play those games if i can just play the original which is still a better game than all those copies ?
Either you make sth new with new gameplay ideas etc or you dont do it at all.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Goodspeed wrote:This looks bad. What's up with this thing where people refuse to play AoC instead of half-assed attempts to remake it? Do people not know it's still active? There was an epic best of 21 finals recently

I believe its the other way, those are the people that refuse to play anything other then aoc, those guys consider aoe3 a heresy for changing stuff, So when they work in new stuff (empires apart in this case), the new game is pretty much a new aoc.

lordraphael wrote:Either you make sth new with new gameplay ideas etc or you dont do it at all.

thats my point, aoc players wont play absolutely nothing else unless its a new aoc.... so thats what all those new games are trying to be.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Goodspeed wrote:This looks bad. What's up with this thing where people refuse to play AoC instead of half-assed attempts to remake it? Do people not know it's still active? There was an epic best of 21 finals recently

What's up with this thing where people refuse to play AoEO and instead remain playing a similar game on a completely outdated and inferior game engine that doesn't even support proper shift-click? Do people not know newer games of this kind were made? There was an epic BO5 on ESOCTV recently. :flowers:
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Admittedly it does look similar-ish to AoC and I wish they would have deviated/innovated a bit more away from that, but it's a new RTS and I'm excited to try it out regardless.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

EAGLEMUT wrote:

What's up with this thing where people refuse to play AoEO and instead remain playing a similar game on a completely outdated and inferior game engine that doesn't even support proper shift-click?
I won't pretend this is some objective truth, but let's just say the overwhelming consensus is that AoC is simply a much better game. Improvements like shift-click are not necessarily improvements, they also make the game less challenging and this can be seen as a positive or a negative depending on your perspective. There's nothing wrong with the engine. There is, on the other hand, a ridiculous amount of things AoC does better.
Do people not know newer games of this kind were made? There was an epic BO5 on ESOCTV recently. :flowers:
They're well aware. They also seem to be well aware that nothing so far has come close to the original in quality.

lemmings121 wrote:I believe its the other way, those are the people that refuse to play anything other then aoc, those guys consider aoe3 a heresy for changing stuff, So when they work in new stuff (empires apart in this case), the new game is pretty much a new aoc.
People want to play AoE2 because it's one of the best games in history. AoE3 changed stuff because they understood that's how you continue a series: You make a similar game but add something new and original. Despite some crippling issues with balance, design and lag, AoE3 got a passionate fan base and is still active after 12 years. That's what happens if you do something new and it actually works out.

AoEO did nothing new. If you try so little to be different, of course you're going to be compared to the game you attempted to copy. And you're not going to come out of that comparison favourably unless you rock it, especially in AoE2's case. They didn't rock it.

I don't mean to offend anyone, your taste is your own, it's just strange to see this phenomenon of bad AoE remakes continued. As if they haven't learned. This is exactly what you don't do. You don't try to remake a masterpiece with a small budget. You're just going to disappoint people that way. You either secure a big budget and do it right or you bring something new to the table. This game seems to be doing neither. I understand RTS is a tough genre but by now they should know better.
Microsoft at least seems to understand this now and has been releasing updates for AoE2 instead of making a new game.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

@Goodspeed AoEO actually did a lot of new things, for example the whole way PvE is handled is very distinct from any other age game in the series and it did attract a new type of playerbase. The game also has a new artistic style and generally is more faster paced than the rest. If anything, you could argue AoEO did too much new stuff and that's why it didn't appeal to the AoE2 playerbase as much. Heck, it's even been described as a different genre of "F2P MMORTS". It's mechanically close at its core, but wasn't really presented like that.

If you consider things like lack of shift click and horrible unit pathing a positive, I guess AoE2 really is the game to play. As for me, I consider AoE2 a great game (I played it for thousands of hours as a kid), but after playing AoE3, the controls and unit behavior in general are just unacceptably clunky to me and I can't go back. It's literally unplayable. IMO a complete remake or some sort of a huge quality-of-life patch is exactly what the game needs.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

age of empires 2 is a horrible game imo. I have played it a fair amount and there are just so many things about it that suck and that other games have done much better. The ui sucks so much, hotkeys suck, unit pathing and interaction sucks, a lot of things unnecessarily complicated (need to press 2 hotkeys to make a building instead of one), needing to reseed farms is annoying and pointless (why not make it cost more and be infinite??). Honestly the graphics are really not that good, the civs feel bland, unique units are either bland or overpowered, maps are bland, gameplay is slow and boring compared to modern rts' (even aoe3). In general the game just feels clunky, poorly designed at times, and really just outdated. Now all this is is my opinion and I welcome you to disagree with me because I want to understand why anyone would even like aoe2 apart from nostalgia.

Now, aoe3 has its issues, im not going to ignore that fact. What I am saying is that aoe3 just does so many things way better than aoe2, and I also think that most of the issues in aoe3 are very fixable, while many of the issues in aoe 2 lie within the engine itself.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Yeah, I guess one could say the game did not age very well. After all, the engine was made by ES 20 years ago and it was their first one..