Empires Apart is now in beta, sign up!

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Re: Empires Apart is now in beta, sign up!

Post by gamevideo113 »

kami_ryu wrote:I think that the graphics look fine.

Where does one sign up for the beta? steam?

http://www.slitherine.com/beta/cnda.asp?gid=675
You need to register to Slitherine first
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Israel Adne
Musketeer

Post by Adne »

Ooh they uploaded a (in my opinion little bit) sobworthy trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_MgTbgUI1Q
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

My friend @Adne you should know that it is possible to embed videos in these forums!
phpBB [video]

Anyways, HYPE!
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Israel Adne
Musketeer

Post by Adne »

It was my assumption that the ESOC website would break if I would post such an ugly trailer on this forum :sob:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Seems the game is somewhat redundant. We have 3 new DE's coming out and AoE4. Plus the game looks like AoEO. I wish them the best of luck but fear the worst.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Looks super uncreative tbh
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Amazing, a new game comes out that looks worse than aoe3.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I get what they're going for but it just comes off as lame that it looks so similar to AoE games, and even has "Empires" in the title to draw that crowd in.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

The idea for this game was born out of frustration for the lack of good new RTS games to play. Obviously things would have gone differently if AoE4 hadn't been announced after 2 years of developement. From a relatively close point of view i appreciate this project because its philosophy consists in taking the timeless old-school RTS formula and apply it with the new features that we would expect from a new game. I know it might look a bit shabby at a first glance but here i can give you some examples of innovation over its spiritual ancestor (AoE2):
-Every civ is completely different;
-Heroes;
-Active and passive abilities;
-Built-in quicksearch;
-Built in spectator mode;
-Resync function;
-Shift click to queue commands;
-Faster gameplay pace;
-It's on steam (DEs will be on Xbox Live);
-Some QoL features.
Right now i look like an advertiser, but obviously wheteher you'll like/buy the game or not is up to you. My intent here is simply to give credit to a project that i am enthusiast about.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Goodspeed wrote:Seems the game is somewhat redundant. We have 3 new DE's coming out and AoE4. Plus the game looks like AoEO. I wish them the best of luck but fear the worst.

fightingfrenchman wrote:Looks super uncreative tbh

fightingfrenchman wrote:I get what they're going for but it just comes off as lame that it looks so similar to AoE games, and even has "Empires" in the title to draw that crowd in.

I got into the beta and my main criticism was that it shares too many similarities with existing RTS titles.

For example
- Resources are identical to Aoe1/2/O games food/wood/coin/stone.
- The way in which these resources appear are almost identical e.g there are farms, berries, sheep, boars, trees, coin & stone deposits. Farms need to be replanted, coin and stone will run out. Fishing ships gather from fish.
- Method of obtaining resources. You have two boar to lure (!), you collect couples of sheep early on (!). Resources are deposited in the same way as Aoe2.
- Buildings. You have a town center, houses, barracks, archery range, stables, siege workshop, farms, castle, blacksmith, dock, towers, wooden walls, stone walls, monastery. There was only one new building I encountered which was the economic version of the blacksmith. Even the costs of the buildings are priced similarly e.g houses cost 35 wood, same as aoe2. Farms are 80 wood, stables/raxes are about 170/190 iirc.
- Relics. Trading between markets.
etc etc etc

Now there are some differences too of course. The UI is unique for an RTS for example. Edit: other examples include the ones gamevideo lists.

I had a chat with the dev in the discord a couple months back about it and he seemed convinced it was different (enough) from existing titles. I think the issue is as a developer when you work for so long on a game every small detail and difference seems so noticeable to you it looks like an entirely different game and you can't possibly see how similar it is anymore. If I compare Aoe and Dawn of War for example I'd be hard pressed to come up with many major similarities at all. Or CnC, or SC, or Warzone etc From my outside perspective after playing a few games I struggled to see how this wasn't another age of empires game.

Objectively I'd call it a good game but I don't know how successful they will be due to the unoriginality of the title. I suppose it could drawn in aoe fans and they capitalize on the popularity of the series but I have my doubts.

I still can't get over the fact that you can lure two boar to your town every game!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

WickedCossack wrote:I had a chat with the dev in the discord a couple months back about it and he seemed convinced it was different (enough) from existing titles. I think the issue is as a developer when you work for so long on a game every small detail and difference seems so noticeable to you it looks like an entirely different game and you can't possibly see how similar it is anymore.
Yeah... I guess that's a bit of an inherent problem with game devs. They are being creative in all kinds of ways, but it's not necessarily game-changing.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

If Ensemble Studios didn't innovate as much as they did with AoE3 (from AoE2) i think they would have landed somewhere near what Empires Apart is. If AoE3 is an innovative sequel to AoE2, EA is more like a conservative sequel as far as i can tell from my experience.
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

When you signed up for the Beta test for Empires Apart you agreed to an NDA that asked you to not share anything about the game.

As of NOW, we're lifting that restriction and you're free to discuss the game openly!

Please, go out there and tell your friends, grab screens, make Gifs and stream the game on your preferred site!

Use the hashtag #EmpiresApart if you want.

e.g. https://twitter.com/Shar_ds/status/972117152101789697

Here are a few other places that you might want to consider:

Public Empires Apart discord here:

https://discord.gg/F8afHaw

We also have a subreddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/empiresapart/

And you can catch us streaming regularly on the Slitherine Twitch channel:

https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup

There's also links to our social accounts at the bottom of this mail.

We look forward to seeing you in the game!

With Thanks,

The Slitherine and DESTINYbit teams

From now on you can catch the streams here! https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Empires%20Apart
toxic, Insult, Racism ?