Rejected By Uni

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Re: Rejected By Uni

Post by Gendarme »

I wonder if lejend is just Umeu's smurf.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

umeu wrote:
lejend wrote:I am assuming most living expenses will be taken care of by parents/govt/whatever. You need only around a few thousand dollars to get started, and it snowballs from there.

Oh. Youre assuming. I thought you were speaking from experience. How naive of me.

Well entrepreneurship isn't the only type of investment. It has a high rate of failure, but I'd argue it's less risky than relying on a job or the government this century. But you're right that I'm talking about delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks and really educating yourself.

A bunch of big empty words formed into a sentence. Are you sure you didnt study?

Otherwise you can be like everyone else: take few risks but accomplish few things. It's that fear of failure and standing out that keeps people in mediocrity, and away from success.

And why do you specifically crave for this success?

Why aren't you in diplomacy lol
Top quality poster.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

InsectPoison wrote:I applied to 5 unis and got rejected by all, maybe i am not good enough for Uni and should go another route.

apply again with better marks and better looks, and a cooler name. fake news are just going with the flow of 2k17.

in my interview for uni i told them ill apply again until they let me study here, eventually the interviewer just didnt want to see my face again, and that was reason enough....
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Finally got accepted by a uni , so happy right now. Thanks for all the tips @jesus3 @Gendarme @WickedCossack
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Haha great job! Good course?
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

congratulations dude
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Well that was fast.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Jam wrote:Well that was fast.

The process is really streamlined in the UK. From reading posts in this thread it sounds like it's very different in other countries.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

congrats @InsectPoison

WickedCossack wrote:
Jam wrote:Well that was fast.

The process is really streamlined in the UK. From reading posts in this thread it sounds like it's very different in other countries.

In Germany it really depends on the subject and University. Some don't even answer at all, my current one got back to me after three days which is insanely fast
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Congrats.

What are you gonna study?
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

lejend wrote:Well entrepreneurship isn't the only type of investment. It has a high rate of failure, but I'd argue it's less risky than relying on a job or the government this century. But you're right that I'm talking about delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks and really educating yourself.

delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks, indeed few people are capable of doing that. Lot's of kids also can't afford to take that risk, since they don't have parents as a backup plan. It's already pretty tough for the kids that don't have to worry about food or paying rent. The few entrepreneur that really do succeed work a lot, as much as high finance guys. I also heard about people having a lifestyle business - which sounds great - and that the "4 hour workweek" book was excellent to learn how to do that.
Honestly, I don't think there is any risk in getting an accounting degree and working at a big 4 your whole life and some people are perfectly content with that. To each his own.

Otherwise you can be like everyone else: take few risks but accomplish few things. It's that fear of failure and standing out that keeps people in mediocrity, and away from success.

Well I'd argue that you can take measured risks while having a college degree as a backup plan. Those who "make it" as entrepreneur nowadays are - to take an extreme - evan spiegel, who went to stanford + had connections through his father.
Tons fail because they lack the credentials that venture capital/seed accelerators are looking for. My point is, being an entrepreneur without a degree (or at least dropping out) makes it even harder if you aim big. If you don't, these lifestyle businesses seem like an interesting option but I don't know much about it. Just heard a few cool stories.

What happens if you can't make it as an entrepreneur, lack the motivation, and become an unemployed 30 years old with no degree and a succession of failure on your resume?

In the end, I'd still recommend going to college for a regular person, who isn't particularly smart and/or driven. Most people are perfectly fine with what you would consider a mediocre life.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Rich parents confirmed
IT 'AINT MEEEEE
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Dolan wrote:Congrats.

Biomedical Science Bsc Hons at the University of Kent. Im quite happy as ive always wanted a more practical and clinical career.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

InsectPoison wrote:

Biomedical Science Bsc Hons at the University of Kent. Im quite happy as ive always wanted a more practical and clinical career.

You are going to love it. I'm doing the same course.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:

You are going to love it. I'm doing the same course.

Im glad to hear that.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Laurence Drake wrote:
umeu wrote:
lejend wrote:I am assuming most living expenses will be taken care of by parents/govt/whatever. You need only around a few thousand dollars to get started, and it snowballs from there.

Oh. Youre assuming. I thought you were speaking from experience. How naive of me.

Well entrepreneurship isn't the only type of investment. It has a high rate of failure, but I'd argue it's less risky than relying on a job or the government this century. But you're right that I'm talking about delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks and really educating yourself.

A bunch of big empty words formed into a sentence. Are you sure you didnt study?

And why do you specifically crave for this success?

Why aren't you in diplomacy lol

Because i foresaw the problems that would come with so many new players and i dont think its very enjoyable to play such a game. I dont think the game gets better with size, on the contrary probably. might play the next one though
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

umeu wrote:Oh. Youre assuming. I thought you were speaking from experience. How naive of me.

Well if Insect's parents care that much about him going to college, I'm guessing they wouldn't mind letting him stay at home for a few years, while he builds his business, if he convinces them that it's an excellent plan.

benj89 wrote:delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks, indeed few people are capable of doing that. Lot's of kids also can't afford to take that risk, since they don't have parents as a backup plan. It's already pretty tough for the kids that don't have to worry about food or paying rent. The few entrepreneur that really do succeed work a lot, as much as high finance guys. I also heard about people having a lifestyle business - which sounds great - and that the "4 hour workweek" book was excellent to learn how to do that.
Well I'd argue that you can take measured risks while having a college degree as a backup plan. Those who "make it" as entrepreneur nowadays are - to take an extreme - evan spiegel, who went to stanford + had connections through his father.

Tons fail because they lack the credentials that venture capital/seed accelerators are looking for. My point is, being an entrepreneur without a degree (or at least dropping out) makes it even harder if you aim big. If you don't, these lifestyle businesses seem like an interesting option but I don't know much about it. Just heard a few cool stories.
In the end, I'd still recommend going to college for a regular person, who isn't particularly smart and/or driven. Most people are perfectly fine with what you would consider a mediocre life.

Right, but I'm not talking about a million dollar business here; just a few dozen grand a year from a variety of investments. It can be from entrepreneurship too, but as you mentioned, that's a tough job, especially in the early stages, with a high rate of failure.

Venture and even angel investors gravitate toward companies providing innovative products or a social good, I think, rather than random inexperienced kids just trying to make money. So I don't think you need to worry about them in the early stages. Just save up money by yourself.

Honestly, I don't think there is any risk in getting an accounting degree and working at a big 4 your whole life and some people are perfectly content with that. To each his own.

It is "safe", but, meh, it seems inefficient to me. The point is to make money without having to work for it. But. to each his own.

What happens if you can't make it as an entrepreneur, lack the motivation, and become an unemployed 30 years old with no degree and a succession of failure on your resume?

What if you graduate from an Ivy League school with a 200K starting job awaiting you, and on your graduation day some random guy armed to the teeth, declares a beta uprising against you?

Life is inherently risky, so let's not pretend that handling your financial affairs unconventionally is that much riskier in the, grand scheme of things.

What will happen will happen. Rather than be paralyzed by, "what if"s, focus on minimizing all unnecessary risks, and soldiering on despite any setbacks.

phpBB [video]
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

lejend wrote:
umeu wrote:Oh. Youre assuming. I thought you were speaking from experience. How naive of me.

Well if Insect's parents care that much about him going to college, I'm guessing they wouldn't mind letting him stay at home for a few years, while he builds his business, if he convinces them that it's an excellent plan.

benj89 wrote:delaying gratification, being creative, taking big risks, indeed few people are capable of doing that. Lot's of kids also can't afford to take that risk, since they don't have parents as a backup plan. It's already pretty tough for the kids that don't have to worry about food or paying rent. The few entrepreneur that really do succeed work a lot, as much as high finance guys. I also heard about people having a lifestyle business - which sounds great - and that the "4 hour workweek" book was excellent to learn how to do that.

Right, but I'm not talking about a million dollar business here; just a few dozen grand a year from a variety of investments. It can be from entrepreneurship too, but as you mentioned, that's a tough job, especially in the early stages, with a high rate of failure.

Venture and even angel investors gravitate toward companies providing innovative products or a social good, I think, rather than random inexperienced kids just trying to make money. So I don't think you need to worry about them in the early stages. Just save up money by yourself.

It is "safe", but, meh, it seems inefficient to me. The point is to make money without having to work for it. But. to each his own.

What if you graduate from an Ivy League school with a 200K starting job awaiting you, and on your graduation day some random guy armed to the teeth, declares a beta uprising against you?

Life is inherently risky, so let's not pretend that handling your financial affairs unconventionally is that much riskier in the, grand scheme of things.

What will happen will happen. Rather than be paralyzed by, "what if"s, focus on minimizing all unnecessary risks, and soldiering on despite any setbacks.

phpBB [video]

Lejend, you make some really good and interesting points. I agree with most of your points that starting up your own business and investing can be better than a degree but it can also be the more riskier option. However i still think a degree is a good thing to fall back on.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

He makes some good points, but then links the retard with the Rocky quote. I don't even know anymore... maybe he is a part-time troll.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

You need a network to start a successful business. 9/10 times this means going to a prestigious university and getting a full-time job at a prestigious firm.
Top quality poster.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Is that 1 out of 10 times purely based on luck, you think?
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Gendarme wrote:Is that 1 out of 10 times purely based on luck, you think?

Less luck and more towards already having good connections.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

By "already having" you mean it's luck (e.g. through parents)?
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Gendarme wrote:By "already having" you mean it's luck (e.g. through parents)?

Yeah, Rich parents which help you grow rapidly.