AI beats top players in Dota 2

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

AI beats top players in Dota 2

Post by Jaeger »

I have a couple questions:

1) How come this wasn't big news, and I had to be the one starting this topic 1+ week after this happened?

2) How complicated is Dota 2 in comparison to games like AOE3 and Starcraft?

phpBB [video]
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: AI beats top players in Dota 2

Post by tedere12 »

Dota players are THAT bad
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

all i know about dota 2 is that it requires a shit ton of mechanical skill.
No Flag Pride
Crossbow
ESO: i_have_pride

Post by Pride »

the game that u need to micro 1 unit ?
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

dota and LoL players are pretty much AIs compared to like sc2 players in pro scene
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The scenario in which the bot excels is very narrow really. It's possibly comparable to time to micro.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Why do they prefer a shadowfiend mid solo? I wanna see a wraith king mid solo game. Techies solo is cool too.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

i find it hardly surprisng that the AI beats pro players in RTS,or FPS games. AI can have perfect mechanics. Idk about MOBAS but in RTS games a real AI which played terran in sc2 for example would be unbeatable thanks to the micro potential of bio. Just needs half decent strats.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

In aoe3 this would never work as I just take the 95w and 140f which i randomly find, while he is working on the 80f and 70xp and gg AI, lol.

But ye, except for the fact that LoL is a silly game, sure AI beats humans
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

This isn't big news outside of the Dota scene because it is extremely limited in scope (Though it is super cool). It uses a 1v1 game mode with only one character in a mirror match up with simple game mechanics. The bot is extremely good at what it does, but like jerom said it would be like saying "AI crushes AoE3 players and disrupts esports!" if they were able to win in time to micro or some other very simple game.

On their site "under standard tournament rules" means standard rules for 1v1, of which there are barely any tournaments. It's more of a fun game mode comparable to an all star game when played at tournaments.

All of this being said, I'm not saying the possibilities aren't incredibly impressive, but what they have currently isn't a final product, it's a very promising concept.
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

they will win in time to micro easily, thats not even up for discussion. And they also will win with more than one character and non-mirror matchups, it just means they need a bit more time to learn it
The only question is indeed when you play teamgames, if the AI's can coordinate (how much is the intuitive/experience part) and work together well enough. But even that i think is learnable for them to the point where mechanics in the end just wins
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

lordraphael wrote:i find it hardly surprisng that the AI beats pro players in RTS,or FPS games. AI can have perfect mechanics. Idk about MOBAS but in RTS games a real AI which played terran in sc2 for example would be unbeatable thanks to the micro potential of bio. Just needs half decent strats.

The AI that beat GO a couple years ago is working on Starcraft now; but they won't let it have super mechanics, it will have an APM limit; so it will have to beat players by strategy.

Also even this AI which beat the players in Dota was using strategy as well such as baiting.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Baiting.. really? Wasnt accidental?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Goodspeed wrote:Baiting.. really? Wasnt accidental?

I believe in this video (maybe it was another one) a player said the AI was taking a lot of damage in the beginning, and everybody was confused. But that baited the player into being overly agressive and he got wreked.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

:hmm: Doesn't sound like it was actually baiting, more like the player got overconfident.
It seems unlikely AI would employ such a tactic because its basically deliberately playing poorly which an AI wouldnt do because they would always assume perfect play from their opponent. Unless it was very advanced
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Veni_Vidi_Vici_W wrote:they will win in time to micro easily, thats not even up for discussion. And they also will win with more than one character and non-mirror matchups, it just means they need a bit more time to learn it
The only question is indeed when you play teamgames, if the AI's can coordinate (how much is the intuitive/experience part) and work together well enough. But even that i think is learnable for them to the point where mechanics in the end just wins

Its not just about mechanics though, the ai also won at Go. But it will indeed be most interesting to see how well they can coordinate and cooperate and negotiate.

If an ai will be consistantly be able to win at diplomacy, now that will get scary.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. NyxAchlys9

Post by NyxAchlys9 »

1) It's on mashable. DoTa as a game doesn't really impress me tbh. I beat some pretty good players all the time.

2) DoTa is much simpler than aoe3 and SC2. It's difficult to grasp at first but then it gets ok.

3) CSGO is where its at
United States of America steniothejonjoe
Crossbow
ESO: MrJonJoe

Post by steniothejonjoe »

Yeah its a much simpler game than aoe or sc2, sure one unit controlled by an ai. Dont see any ai being good in aoe or much less treaty for exmaple
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

If these AIs are not restricted in their macro and micro, they will definitely dominate any rts.
And saying dota2 is easier to learn than aoe3 is bullshit. i havent played dota2, but its definitely more complex than aoe3.
r]
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

A focused AI would rek shit in RTS simply because of perfect micro and macro.

The intangibles of decision making could probably be statistically programmed in as well.

This is just vidya games. Soon enough AIs will rek us in the art of physically existing too!
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Cheers for the better player.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

An AI can be as good as the AI scripter gets, given good tools for scripting. I believe it is possible to create an unbeatable AI for any AoE game, same goes for Dota or LoL imo.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gamevideo113 wrote:An AI can be as good as the AI scripter gets, given good tools for scripting. I believe it is possible to create an unbeatable AI for any AoE game, same goes for Dota or LoL imo.

The thing you're missing is that this sort of AI teaches itself, so its not hard coded behaviour at all.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Gichtenlord wrote:If these AIs are not restricted in their macro and micro, they will definitely dominate any rts.
And saying dota2 is easier to learn than aoe3 is bullshit. i havent played dota2, but its definitely more complex than aoe3.

This particular scenario is very easy though. Theres little complexity involved here.
Portugal sergyou
Lancer

Post by sergyou »

I am sorry but what is an AI?