ESOC Fitness Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: ESOC Fitness Thread

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Warno wrote:What did everyone do today?

Walked
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

princeofkabul wrote:@deleted_user4 what were your personal bests when you were in good shape?

@deleted_user4
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

245 / 335 / 405

DL sucks I'm too tall.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I think DL is my strongest. I'm tall, but my thighs are short compared to my torso.
Pay more attention to detail.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Small update on the jumping rope thing:
Overall i'm quite satisfied although i think it takes a while before you can actually fatigue your muscles and feel satisfied with the training session.
phpBB [video]

Right now i'm working on pulling this "sequence" off
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Finally starting to work out again so I can feel superior to people who wait until the new year to start. Who's with me?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I'm probably gonna start riding a bike at a gym 2-3 times a week. Im noticing fat building up on my torso and face as I have been very sedentary the last 1.5 years.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gibson wrote:I'm probably gonna start riding a bike at a gym 2-3 times a week. Im noticing fat building up on my torso and face as I have been very sedentary the last 1.5 years.
Buy a peloton
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I started swimming again. Been a while, and boy, it was really hard. I am only happy it was an option, to do that :flowers:
(500 meters, for my first comeback)
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I get big arms and twig legs hopefully
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

I only now discovered this thread, although I tried to create one myself. Still a novice, but I will share my routine. At the moment I'm going to the gym 3 times a week and it has been a month I am doing supersets.
Tuesday: Chest/Back, Wednesday: Legs, Friday: Arms/Shoulders. I accompany all my workouts with core exercises at the end, as well as ~10min of cardio pre and post-workout.
spoiler
Sadly I can't work out more days due to work, but I wanna do more stuff at home and I would appreciate input about that. Also I want to share this channel that's really helpful and scientifically backed up. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCERm5y ... EU4wZ2vJvw
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Hell yeah, go Brook.

For a generic split I personally prefer Push/Pull/Legs (Or Chest + Tris/Back + Bis/Legs + Shoulders), I think it's a little better split over the whole body. I incorporated at least 50% more volume in my pull days than push because most people have poor posture and are slumped over (me included). A big back should be way more enviable than some pecs imo. The reverse rows are a good exercise to target the rear delt which literally no one has developed. I'd avoid the upright rows because the front delt is already over developed in relation to the anterior and rear in nearly everyone. The shoulder needs to be balanced to avoid impingement. Doing some very light rotator cuff exercises as warmup every day is a good idea to keep your shoulders healthy.

I'd keep arm work to a single accessory for the bi and tri, respectively. They'll grow with your main lifts. Same with core, I'd perform a single, progress-able lift and do it once per week (weighted planks, ab roller). Your core should be getting worked in nearly every exercise (esp. squat deadlift and overhead press). Abs are made in the kitchen etc. A single forearm/grip exercise might be nice to do once a week, like one-armed dead hangs, and avoiding straps on deadlifts.

This is just personal, again, but leg extensions felt bad on my knees. I strength trained my lower body (high weight low reps) and kept the accessories to front squats and/or leg press for my quads, calf raises if you want. My hamstrings got good activation from low bar squats and deadlifts I didn't feel like I needed an accessory on them. Deadlift and squats are such intense exercises I really kept the main lift volume low on these days and had high rest periods. As long as the main lift weights went up I didn't care about hyoertrophy. If you haven't tried Olympic weightlifting shoes (just a raised sloped heel) they're really nice for achieving depth and maintaining form in squats.

What matters more than anything is doing anything as opposed to nothing. What comes next is doing that consistently. But training smart (i.e. a program, enough protein aka 0.7-1.0 gram per lb of lean body mass, and good sleep) will optimize your efforts.

The basis of any program is to increase weight over x period of time - professsion. For a novice this can be accomplished every workout, it's called linear progression. The idea is to start the "main" barbell lifts at a weight where your speed has just started to slow down from the speed of doing the exercise with very little weight. Then you increase upper body lifts by 2.5 lbs a workout and lower body by 5 lbs a workout, until you can't do your reps, then you decrease by 10 or 15% and go up again.

So keeping a catalogue of your weights is pretty important.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Oh BTW I think the single greatest exercise you can do at home are pull-ups. Buy a pull up bar for a doorway and just do them whenever you can. If you can't do several pull-ups, negatives are good.

Pull-ups are the best exercise and I'm sad I can't do as many as I could.

It's fun getting into fitness but there's no need to do everything all at once. Give yourself plenty of rest and breaks too. Novice workouts needn't be 2 hours long.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

I started with an easier one last January and stopped around summer. I restarted again on September with the same, and changed to the one I typed end of October - early November. It is a really fun hobby. I am still experimenting with home workout doing pushups, squats, crunches, sit-ups and planks (bought a resistance band for the future)

Edit: I feel my legs are pretty strong in general bc of walking a lot in my daily routine. Transportation sucks where I live.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

My volleyball coach gave this to me in our last training. I'm pretty excited to have a detailed training schedule to follow for the next weeks. It is mainly focused for useful muscles in volleyball, so it isn't really a complete-wholesome type of workout, but i think it's a good place to start and keep track of my progress.

So, basically, for the lower, core and upper parts, the standard excercise is the one in the middle row. If i struggle with pulling off the series i have to switch to the row above; if the working load is too light instead, i have to switch to the row below.
E.g. split squat while raising the resting leg: If too easy --> single leg squat, if too hard --> simple split squat with the resting leg on ground level.
The "extra" exercises are intended to be done in every session
Attachments
20191224_102031.jpg
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

@gamevideo113 at what level do you play volleyball? Is it professional, semi-professional, etc? For how long do you play?

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

BrookG wrote:@gamevideo113 at what level do you play volleyball? Is it professional, semi-professional, etc? For how long do you play?
It's not really a professional level, but it's kinda close to that. Our society pays for our subscription (=free for us) so i guess we kind of have something in return for playing. In Italy we have these leagues:
Serie A, Serie B - National leagues
Serie C, Serie D - Regional leagues
Prima Divisione, Seconda Divisione - City and suburbs
Then there's amateurs
I think you can consider the B level semi-professional, whereas the A level should technically be professional level, although volleyball athletes don't get paid a lot in italy. It's hard to make a living out of volleyball here.
I actually only train once or twice a week (just for the fun of it and to help the team, if they need some extra players for the training) in a Serie C because i don't have enough time for the full schedule (3 trainings per week + the championship game in the weekend). I have played volleyball for 10 years more or less, i'm not that good right now, but i think i'd be able to do reasonably well in a Serie D if i trained consistently. The level at which i'm training right now is a bit high for me but i've only played in a Seconda Divisione until just last year... It's quite a big jump for me :biggrin:
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

gamevideo113 wrote:My volleyball coach gave this to me in our last training. I'm pretty excited to have a detailed training schedule to follow for the next weeks. It is mainly focused for useful muscles in volleyball, so it isn't really a complete-wholesome type of workout, but i think it's a good place to start and keep track of my progress.

So, basically, for the lower, core and upper parts, the standard excercise is the one in the middle row. If i struggle with pulling off the series i have to switch to the row above; if the working load is too light instead, i have to switch to the row below.
E.g. split squat while raising the resting leg: If too easy --> single leg squat, if too hard --> simple split squat with the resting leg on ground level.
so are these exercises to be done separately from the regular training with your teammates?

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

BrookG wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:My volleyball coach gave this to me in our last training. I'm pretty excited to have a detailed training schedule to follow for the next weeks. It is mainly focused for useful muscles in volleyball, so it isn't really a complete-wholesome type of workout, but i think it's a good place to start and keep track of my progress.

so are these exercises to be done separately from the regular training with your teammates?
Yes, we are supposed to do them after the regular training, twice a week. So in week 1 we should do columns 1 and 2, etc etc. This schedule should last roughly 2 months. I think i'm also going to do some at home because i'll be missing some trainings and i don't want to fall behind too much from the rest of the team
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Get a multispinner, train hand wrist.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

deleted_user wrote: [...] keeping a catalogue of your weights is pretty important.
I have been using consistently, since early September an app called "Strong". It offers you to create your own 3 workouts along with weights, sets, reps, rest time. Also you can tag the sets as warmups, failures etc. I also have a cheap activity tracker (Mi Band 3) for additional detail on bpm, duration and intensity of activity and steps.

I plan to export data from the app and put them on excel, but I haven't spent the time for it.

Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

I got out of shape and I want to get back into shape. I gained 15lbs. It feels good to exert yourself and have control over your body, reminds you that you exist
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Do it! I have realised many benefits from exercise and diet. Better sleep quality, less tiredness, more happy to say only few!

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

BrookG wrote:Do it! I have realised many benefits from exercise and diet. Better sleep quality, less tiredness, more happy to say only few!
M0re pu$y as wā‚¬ll
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

gamevideo113 wrote:
BrookG wrote:Do it! I have realised many benefits from exercise and diet. Better sleep quality, less tiredness, more happy to say only few!
M0re pu$y as wā‚¬ll
Does exercising make your pussy grow?