Las Vegas Mass Shooting Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Re: Las Vegas Mass Shooting Thread

Post by Jam »

Dolan wrote:Seems like a warm-up to me. They're just getting better and better at it.

Heck, in 15 years, it could reach a few hundred victims. And still, Muricuns will vote to keep their gunz.

They're gonna still keep arguing that if those people in the crowd each had their own gun, this wouldn't have happened, they would have shot the shooter. So the answer is -- "needs more guns" -- as usual.

Not sure why we should care, tbh. It's not like they can't do anything about it, it's something of their own making.
Those aren't in chronological order.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

frostibite wrote:Maybe being brain washed and playing a dead RTS goes hand in hand. Someone should do a study on it

are you volunteering to be subject #1?
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

frostibite wrote:Maybe being brain washed and playing a dead RTS goes hand in hand. Someone should do a study on it
Why, did the shooter play SC2?
Jam wrote:Those aren't in chronological order.
There's still an obvious upward trend.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Gendarme wrote:The new meta in terrorism seems to be to run trucks into crowds, and it is very effective. I don't think there's any way to stop someone from killing a lot of people if they really want to and aren't afraid of the consequences. As I see it the problem is not the existence of guns or trucks, but the underlying reason these mass-murderers decide to kill. It is very possible that the reason is not the same for every case of mass-killing, and some reasons may be more complex than others (e.g. some crazy dude with no apparent rational motive vs a jihadist who was sent to Europe by IS to kill) but I think this is the interesting topic of discussion - not whether guns should be banned or not.

Its funny how this one guy is always "just crazy" but the other one is "evil".

I mean isis simply claims any attack. But now suddenly we think its unlikely. But if the guy was equally insane, but muslim, oh thered be hell to pay.

Its too bad people can't treat all of this violence the same. I bet trump will go on record saying there were good people on both sides
United States of America frostibite
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

Goodspeed wrote:

I'm positive he was probably an aoe 3 supremecy player that lost some PR points resulting in an identity crisis because his ESOC buddies might think less of him if he loses too much rank on the supremecy ladder. He should have stuck to unrated so this wouldn't happen

Or maybe he went crazy waiting 3 hours to find a game on quick search
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@Dolan Why you are only considering gun-homicides? It is very possible that by making guns unobtainable (assuming it is possible) in USA you just replace gun-homicides with knife/car/poison-homicides (e.g. if guns are unavailable, someone chooses to poison the ketchup at McDonald's instead), and what would you have really achieved then other than having lost all the benefits of having armed citizens? USA differs from other countries in many ways other than their prevalence of guns; any of these differences could be the reason for their homicide problem. Only comparing guns produces a very incomplete analysis.
Pay more attention to detail.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Gendarme wrote:@Dolan Why you are only considering gun-homicides? It is very possible that by making guns unobtainable (assuming it is possible) in USA you just replace gun-homicides with knife/car/poison-homicides (e.g. if guns are unavailable, someone chooses to poison the ketchup at McDonald's instead), and what would you have really achieved then other than having lost all the benefits of having armed citizens? USA differs from other countries in many ways other than their prevalence of guns; any of these differences could be the reason for their homicide problem. Only comparing guns produces a very incomplete analysis.
that's been proven not to be the case by the fact that countries with higher gun regulation have less homicides in general. Perhaps you could argue that Americans are culturally more violent but that's a whole different discussion
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

for real this guy is so obviously a troll and just wants to trigger people he should be banned immediatly, hes probably the same guy that has been haunting this forum the past week. gonna report this one aswell.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

Goodspeed wrote:
I'm not sure if two data points in enough to establish a trend. Image

https://imgur.com/a/2NmIY
from https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... n-america/
United States of America frostibite
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

lordraphael wrote:

for real this guy is so obviously a troll and just wants to trigger people he should be banned immediatly, hes probably the same guy that has been haunting this forum the past week. gonna report this one aswell.

That's quite a dictatorship. "Ban this peasant who disagrees with me at once!"

Sounds right up your alley.

Ban guns, ban people who disagree with your viewpoints, ban everything until there are nothing but lordraphaels left.

You should apply to be a CNN anchor
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

IMnotmvp
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Jam wrote:I'm not sure if two data points in enough to establish a trend. Image

https://imgur.com/a/2NmIY
from https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... n-america/

You're right. I don't think I claimed in this thread that there is an upward trend. My only claim has been that banning firearms would, most likely, diminish the gun-related homicide rate in the USA.

@Gendarme
Why you are only considering gun-homicides? It is very possible that by making guns unobtainable (assuming it is possible) in USA you just replace gun-homicides with knife/car/poison-homicides (e.g. if guns are unavailable, someone chooses to poison the ketchup at McDonald's instead), and what would you have really achieved then other than having lost all the benefits of having armed citizens? USA differs from other countries in many ways other than their prevalence of guns; any of these differences could be the reason for their homicide problem. Only comparing guns produces a very incomplete analysis.

I'm sure you're right to some degree, that banning firearms won't simply cut down criminality proportionally, it will just get channelled into other ways. But, on the other hand, I'm thinking that guns just make homicide more expedient, easier to commit with a higher number of fatalities, than say, a knife. You can't really kill 50 people in a crowd of hundreds with just a knife. So it might not decrease the rate of homicides, but it might decrease the average number of fatalities per homicide.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

zoom wrote:
Atomiswave wrote:In a country with 350 million pop, there has to be few psychos here and there. Its a rule of probability.....
1. That doesn't mean society has to actively arm them. 2. Says the Serbian. 3. Says the Swede.
4. ez. 5. can't believe i forgot "ez!"

User has been warned for this post. Enough is enough! Stop spamming these shitposts! The community team has said the same thing for multiple times already!
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

I kinda agree with gendarme here. Banning firearms is probably a nice way to avoid people going randomly crazy and using their firearms. In case of planning attacks though, such as ISIS method, you have tons of possibilities to make more deads, so banning firearms won't change anything
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Crazy people can't shoot other people if they don't have guns.

Pretty simple fact, I don't know why this hasn't been addressed sooner. Get out of the 19th century America.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Rikikipu wrote:I kinda agree with gendarme here. Banning firearms is probably a nice way to avoid people going randomly crazy and using their firearms. In case of planning attacks though, such as ISIS method, you have tons of possibilities to make more deads, so banning firearms won't change anything

youre right it wont stop terrorist attacks, but it will decrease the chance of mass shootings done by random people that snap and it will obviously decrease deaths casused by firearms in general.

I dont think anyone argues that no guns means no terrorists attack, thats obviously false especially since all it takes nowadays is to drive a car into a crowd and scream allahu akbar to be considered a terrorist attack. Theres no big planning anymore like there used to when Al Qaida was the major terror organisation, those were the attacks that could be stopped theorethically, those today are impossible to prevent in all cases. I think the west will suffer from terrorist attacks for a very long time, but in total numbers deaths from terrorist attacks are almost irrelevant. (just getting a lot more attention).

Its the other deaths that could be decreased, random shootouts, homicides etc. No one will ever stop them entirely but at least you could make it as hard as possible and decrease the casualties.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

What about the 58 people a day that kill themselves with a firearm? Gun availability and suicide rates have a high correlation. It's clear that more guns does not make people safer, although it makes people feel safer. The focus solely on guns however is not that answer...We have massive failures to do something about mental health, besides guns it is also the biggest link with all these deaths.
mad cuz bad
No Flag dontRushme
Crossbow

Post by dontRushme »

frostibite wrote:It's okay.

We will take care of this mess by kneeling during the national anthem.

haha man I totally agree. Such bullshit the NFL has been pulling I Have no respect for that at all.
@frostbite I totally agree with everything you have said! RIght on man these european fruitloops don't know shit. USA USA USA :smile:

User was banned for smurfing.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

zoom wrote:
zoom wrote:
Atomiswave wrote:In a country with 350 million pop, there has to be few psychos here and there. Its a rule of probability.....
1. That doesn't mean society has to actively arm them. 2. Says the Serbian. 3. Says the Swede.
4. ez. 5. can't believe i forgot "ez!"

User has been warned for this post. Enough is enough! Stop spamming these shitposts! The community team has said the same thing for multiple times already!
It might be spam but it's no shitpost. For one thing, there is no such thing. For another, what the fuck are you trying to say when you use the term?
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

n0el wrote:What about the 58 people a day that kill themselves with a firearm? Gun availability and suicide rates have a high correlation. It's clear that more guns does not make people safer, although it makes people feel safer. The focus solely on guns however is not that answer...We have massive failures to do something about mental health, besides guns it is also the biggest link with all these deaths.
Don't be down, budy. You are all grand people in a great country!
United States of America sc
Dragoon
ESO: _ZOMBIE_

Post by sc »

USA isn't going to ban guns.

I'd like to see much more regulation. Firearm permits that need to be renewed every couple of years by going through some safety training coupled with some other tests. Black and white questions asking about depression, suicidal thoughts etc. Free mental healthcare for the country, efforts made to remove the stigma around depression/mental issues. Folks buying more then X amount of guns need advanced permits with more stringent requirements.

But that's just wishful thinking as people are pretty opposed to that sort of regulation; 'the government getting up in their business'.

Healthcare and mental health are hot topics in the USA and there is a chance both could improve... that will have some positive effects on gun violence. HEre's hoping
VIRTZN and CM1993 are my friends and they never cheat. everyone should add them. kappa
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

dontRushme wrote:
frostibite wrote:It's okay.

We will take care of this mess by kneeling during the national anthem.

haha man I totally agree. Such bullshit the NFL has been pulling I Have no respect for that at all.
@frostbite I totally agree with everything you have said! RIght on man these european fruitloops don't know shit. USA USA USA :smile:

You really made a second account just to agree with yourself???
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

ez, 'twas
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

kami_ryu wrote:Regulation around firearms should be reworked intelligently in the USA so as to help with deaths related to guns. It should not get to the point where we get to blanket bans and normal, responsible people who happen to own and operate firearms are forced to face unnecessary hurdles when they've done nothing wrong.

Punishing all for the few irresponsible is abhorrent and should be viewed as such by us; we live in free societies. You can't be selective about which liberties you think are worth defending. There's more than just yourself out there.

Civilians owning and using firearms in peacetime makes no sense. There are a few cases where exceptions could be made, such as for registered hunters (who need to undergo a psych test and have others vouch for their behaviour) or people who have particular responsibilities which put them at risk (judges, intelligence officers). Just as you don't really need to own sarin gas, which is a biochemical weapon. You can't argue that banning these weapons would infringe on your freedom. What do you need firearms for? If you're a hunter, you can get a permit, go through the paperwork and tests, and eventually be allowed to use it in particular areas reserved for hunting. What else would you need a gun for? Self defence? Why shouldn't you be allowed to own botulism or sarin gas sprays for self-defence? You should be free to own them, right? It's not sarin gas that kills people, after all, it's how people use it. So why ban it from being used by civilians?