Las Vegas Mass Shooting Thread

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Las Vegas Mass Shooting Thread

Post by deleted_user »

50+ dead, 200 injured when a lone shooter open fired from a hotel room vantage point into a crowd at a Country Music Festival. Gunman was 64 yr old Stephan Paddock from Nevada. Found dead in his room by authorities. Presumed he shot himself. "Many rifles" in his room. His roommate, a woman, is not a suspect in the shooting but police are trying to talk to her. She is in another country - unsure if she fled or not. Worst mass shooting in US history they say.

Police working on the motive, hesitant to label it yet.

All from NPR @ 9:30 am CST.

update:

Shooter's brother in disbelief. Said he was not a gun enthusiast. "Where..where did he get all those automatic weapons?"
Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Re: Las Vegas Mass Shooting Thread

Post by Atomiswave »

In a country with 350 million pop, there has to be few psychos here and there. Its a rule of probability.....
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Atomiswave wrote:In a country with 350 million pop, there has to be few psychos here and there. Its a rule of probability.....

Yes, but i'd argue that taken the population in account, the recurrence of this kind of event in the usa is above average when comparing to the rest of the world.

any american to give an insigt on this?
No Flag zosgan
Musketeer
ESO: Zosgan

Post by zosgan »

ISIS Adopt this terrorist act
قحاب ويييييييييييييي نتوما قحاب فلبرلمان دلقحاب
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

RL isnt GTA ppl!!

My God be everybody involved, injured ppl, families, traumatised ppl, cops, hospital ppl etc be mercifull
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Worth mentioning that apparently IS claims it was their work, even if they are untrustworthy.
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America frostibite
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

Probably an ISIS recruit.

Lets bring in a bunch of refugees

Before you start spreading fake news (that is without proper evidence to back up), please keep up with the news and/or reports from the government/police. As for your second sentence, while you are critical towards the policies on refugees in a sarcastic manner, and in a way spreading hatred towards refugees in general, please do note that most refugees do not have the mind of an evil.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

He was not a refugee, @frostibite.
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

Gendarme wrote:He was not a refugee, @frostibite.

I never said he was.

Europe is already dealing with refugee issues. The U.S. has terrorist issues as is. It makes no sense to risk making the situation even worse
Musketeer

Post by frostibite »

It's okay.

We will take care of this mess by kneeling during the national anthem.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Gendarme wrote:Worth mentioning that apparently IS claims it was their work, even if they are untrustworthy.

Let's be honest here, ISIS would claim it was an attempt to attack people with chemical gases by one of their minions if I fart in a lecture. Whenever anything even remotely resembles terrorism, ISIS claims it was them.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

frostibite wrote:Probably an ISIS recruit.

Lets bring in a bunch of refugees

Probably not at all an ISIS recruit... They just claim every mass shooting.
You know you might as well bring that bunch of refugees in, and ban guns, and your country will still be safer.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Let's make this thread great again! Milku's thread about gun control
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

C'mon @frostibite , even if you're another troll trying to trigger people, I wanna ask why you're bringing up refugees (or Islam as a whole as you were probably going to if I didn't write it down here now) here.

The true problem clearly lies, once again, at the accessability of guns in the US. Insane people are everywhere but it shouldn't be that easy for those people to get weapons like those found.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

jesus3 wrote:clearly
A lot of people would disagree with that, at which point it would clearly be obvious that it in fact is not clear.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

@Gendarme On the one hand, it should be common sense that more guns = more violence potential and on the other hand, murder rates involving guns are way (yes, unproportionally) higher in the us than in comparable first world countries with stricter gun laws (which is something you will find by just googling). I won't argue over believing those things, because it's not a matter of belief.

That being said, it's another tragedy with probably no consequences for the jurisdiction - which makes it even sadder
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@jesus3 I do agree with what you are saying, perhaps to your surprise, to the extent that the ambiguity allows. I do in fact agree with your previous post as well; how can there be gun violence without any guns, after all? What I do disagree with is that which can be read between your lines, i.e. the implication that the second amendment is bad. Posts of this nature are however probably better suited in the above referenced thread dedicated to the discussion of gun control.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Gendarme wrote:@jesus3 I do agree with what you are saying, perhaps to your surprise, to the extent that the ambiguity allows. I do in fact agree with your previous post as well; how can there be gun violence without any guns, after all? What I do disagree with is that which can be read between your lines, i.e. the implication that the second amendment is bad. Posts of this nature are however probably better suited in the above referenced thread dedicated to the discussion of gun control.

Yeah I might have overlooked your posted link
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Gendarme wrote:
jesus3 wrote:clearly
A lot of people would disagree with that, at which point it would clearly be obvious that it in fact is not clear.

It's clear, unless you're biased because you like to own guns, which indeed qualifies a lot of people. I mean, it's a fact that countries with stricter gun control laws have less mass shootings.
You can also find a lot of people denying the holocaust, does it mean it's not clear it happened?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Generally it goes, "x worked in country much, much smaller and culturally different than USA therefore it must work in USA too."
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@Kaiserklein If you are arguing with someone who denies the holocaust, saying that it is clear that it happened is not constructive as it is obviously not clear to that person and hence not clear in the context of the discussion. Of course it can be clear to you, and you wouldn't be objectively wrong for saying that. Perhaps I worded it poorly, but I did not intend that as a serious argument.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I mean the holocaust is not "clear" or "unclear", it's a fact. Then some people are ignorant and some aren't, but it doesn't make the fact unclear.
The same goes for gun control, it's just a fact that it's counter productive to allow guns. So it can't be unclear. But yeah it's just for the sake of nitpicking, not a serious argument
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

deleted_user wrote:Generally it goes, "x worked in country much, much less smaller and culturally different than USA therefore it must work in USA too."

Of course historical and cultural context is to be considered, however I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to implement except for the big gun lobby. It's as much an educational matter as it is traditions and mindset. Actually I think you can take Europe as a whole as comparison and the US would still do way worse in gun related murders despite different levels of gun restriction between the european states
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Kaiserklein wrote:I mean the holocaust is not "clear" or not, it's a fact. Then some people are ignorant and some aren't, but it doesn't make the fact unclear.
The same goes for gun control, it's just a fact that it's counter productive to allow guns. So it can't be unclear.
I, and probably most others, do not consider you the one to choose what is and is not a fact. If you wish to have a discussion and argue, which I know you generally like to do and which I also appreciate, stating that you are right and the other part is wrong achieves nothing constructive and you probably know that. On the topic of guns, I am in favor of the right to bear firearms and my view on the matter has been summarized in this post which you are very welcome to reply to. I understand how frustrating it can be to have people disagreeing with opinions which you are passionate about, if nothing else for the fact that disagreeing is what I apparently specialize in. But for the sake of discussion please try to be constructive.