fav pasta shape?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Favorite shape of pasta?

Spaghetti (the classic)
24%
Angel hair
3%
Ziti
No votes
Fettuccine
No votes
Lasagna
3%
Linguine
5%
Macaroni
3%
Manicotti
No votes
Penne (notably used in Domino's bread bowls)
13%
Rigatoni
5%
Wheels (very childish imo)
3%
Shells (not the italian name probably)
3%
Bowties (definitely not the Italian name)
No votes
Gnocchi (also the name of a potato based dish)
3%
Orzo
8%
Other (please specify, there are like a million types so I literally can't list them all here)
21%
well?
8%

Total votes: 38

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: fav pasta shape?

Post by deleted_user »

It wouldn't make sense for a square to not be a part of the rectangle class. The rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles. There are infinite amounts of non-similar rectangles. There is only a single non-similar square. You cannot say "this is a rectangle - it is is a quadrilateral bounded by four right angles - except for this one whose sides are of all equal lengths, even though it is still a quadrilateral bounded by four right angles." It simply doesn't make sense. Meanwhile, on account of its uniqueness, we can allow an additional subclass of rectangle for the extreme shape "square."
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
P i k i l i c wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I disagree with this definition of universal. So the definition of universal is not universal.

Well you're not a definition maker so your opinion on it doesn't count
Of course it does because I took classes in this field sometimes
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:It wouldn't make sense for a square to not be a part of the rectangle class. The rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles. There are infinite amounts of non-similar rectangles. There is a single non-similar square. You cannot say "this is a rectangle - it is is a quadrilateral bounded by four right angles - except fore this one whose sides are of all equal lengths, even though it is still a quadrilateral bounded by four right angles." It simply doesn't make sense.

Quadrilateral is just a wannabe parallelogram
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

P i k i l i c wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well you're not a definition maker so your opinion on it doesn't count

No that's the part of the definition of a definition maker
France P i k i l i c
Howdah

Post by P i k i l i c »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
P i k i l i c wrote:
Show hidden quotes

The definition of a definition maker is: an expert or a student in definition making. I take some classes in this field sometimes, thus making me a definition maker, completely destroying your argument.

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:It wouldn't make sense for a square to not be a part of the rectangle class. The rectangle is a quadrilateral with four right angles. There are infinite amounts of non-similar rectangles. There is a single non-similar square. You cannot say "this is a rectangle - it is is a quadrilateral bounded by four right angles - except fore this one whose sides are of all equal lengths, even though it is still a quadrilateral bounded by four right angles." It simply doesn't make sense.

All parallelograms are quadrilaterals. Meanwhile, not all quadrilaterals are parallelograms - you're going backwards. It's like saying "Callen is just a wannabe human being." No, I am a human being.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jam wrote:Two different rectangles are different from each other in the same way that a square is different than a rectangle.

No, all types of rectangles fit under the rectangle category. Squares all fit in the square category.
They all just differ by the lengths of their sides. Squares just have all equal sides. If a rectangle has side pairs different by the golden ratio is it suddenly a different shape or is it just a type of rectangle to which I've applied a significance to it's side lengths.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

P i k i l i c wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

The definition of a definition maker is: an expert or a student in definition making. I take some classes in this field sometimes, thus making me a definition maker, completely destroying your argument.

That's not the true definition, cite your source
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

All parallelograms are quadrilaterals. Meanwhile, not all quadrilaterals are parallelograms - you're going backwards. It's like saying "Callen is just a wannabe human being."

Well rectangles and squares are both parallelograms but only rectangles are quadrilaterals
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

P i k i l i c wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jam wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jam wrote:Two different rectangles are different from each other in the same way that a square is different than a rectangle.

No, all types of rectangles fit under the rectangle category. Squares all fit in the square category.
They all just differ by the lengths of their sides. Squares just have all equal sides. If a rectangle has side pairs different by the golden ratio is it suddenly a different shape or is it just a type of rectangle to which I've applied a significance to it's side lengths.

Yes, it is suddenly a different shape, a square instead of a rectangle. That's the one and only difference between them
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

All parallelograms are quadrilaterals. Meanwhile, not all quadrilaterals are parallelograms - you're going backwards. It's like saying "Callen is just a wannabe human being."

Well rectangles and squares are both parallelograms but only rectangles are quadrilaterals

this is just blatantly false
France P i k i l i c
Howdah

Post by P i k i l i c »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
P i k i l i c wrote:
Show hidden quotes

It is as I am a definition maker. I dont find it less credible than your definition of a mathematician

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

P i k i l i c wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

It is as I am a definition maker. I dont find it less credible than your definition of a mathematician

Well I used Google, if you can't cite source you officially lose
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

It's blatantly true :flowers:
France P i k i l i c
Howdah

Post by P i k i l i c »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
P i k i l i c wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well I used Google, if you can't cite source you officially lose

Google is not a source. It is a search engine. Source: Wikipedia

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jam wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yes, it is suddenly a different shape, a square instead of a rectangle. That's the one and only difference between them

Because we are discussing polygons I will limit the definition of a shape to a polygon.

Technically then, by that logic, every infinite variation of a single polygon is a "different shape." Two oblong rectangles whose sides are of different proportions are still rectangles to you, no? We must define shapes by their geometric properties (or else we must name every infinite variation of shape) - under which a square is a rectangle - and which, because of its non-similar singularity, a property unique to squares and not to other rectangles, we can name it further.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Because we are discussing polygons I will limit the definition of a shape to a polygon.

Technically then, by that logic, every infinite variation of a single polygon is a "different shape." Two oblong rectangles whose sides are of different proportions are still rectangles to you, no? We must define shapes by their geometric properties - under which a square is a rectangle - and which, because of its non-similar singularity, a property unique to squares and not to other rectangles, we can name it further.

Well yes technically I would say all shapes are different, even if they're just different sizes. Just a waste of time to come up with names for all of them, so we have to stop at some point
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jam wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Square is just the word for a rectangle with all equal sides. Be there, or be rectangular.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jam wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Square is just the word for a rectangle with all equal sides. Be there, or be rectangular.

No
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Consider the following:

i)A quadrilateral is a polygon with four sides
ii)A square has four sides
iii)Therefore, a square is a quadrilateral
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Consider the following:

I didn't say anything about polygons
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Technically then, by that logic, every infinite variation of a single polygon is a "different shape." Two oblong rectangles whose sides are of different proportions are still rectangles to you, no? We must define shapes by their geometric properties - under which a square is a rectangle - and which, because of its non-similar singularity, a property unique to squares and not to other rectangles, we can name it further.

Well yes technically I would say all shapes are different, even if they're just different sizes. Just a waste of time to come up with names for all of them, so we have to stop at some point

The "some point" being geometric properties which tie together large groups of polygons. Within the context of this discussion, that means we can classify infinite quadrilaterals into a handful of groups. Grouping all quadrilaterals with four right angles is a logical classification which we call "rectangles," under which the square also falls. It follows then that a square is a rectangle.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Consider the following:

I didn't say anything about polygons

substitute "polygon" with "shape" (which you've been discussing a great deal) and the conclusion is the same.
Canada Jam
Jaeger

Post by Jam »

I love rectangles. My home is a series of overlapping rectangles. Rectangles are great. I'm in love with a rectangle. I want to know everything about rectangles. I want to be a rectangle.