fav pasta shape?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Favorite shape of pasta?

Spaghetti (the classic)
24%
Angel hair
3%
Ziti
No votes
Fettuccine
No votes
Lasagna
3%
Linguine
5%
Macaroni
3%
Manicotti
No votes
Penne (notably used in Domino's bread bowls)
13%
Rigatoni
5%
Wheels (very childish imo)
3%
Shells (not the italian name probably)
3%
Bowties (definitely not the Italian name)
No votes
Gnocchi (also the name of a potato based dish)
3%
Orzo
8%
Other (please specify, there are like a million types so I literally can't list them all here)
21%
well?
8%

Total votes: 38

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: fav pasta shape?

Post by fightinfrenchman »

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well yes technically I would say all shapes are different, even if they're just different sizes. Just a waste of time to come up with names for all of them, so we have to stop at some point

The "some point" being geometric properties which tie together large groups of polygons. Within the context of this discussion, that means we can classify infinite quadrilaterals into a handful of groups. Grouping all quadrilaterals with four right angles is a logical classification which we call "rectangles," under which the square also falls. It follows then that a square is a rectangle.

Nope - just because rectangles and squares share a common characteristic doesn't mean they are the same thing. You and I are both members of ESOC - doesn't mean that we are thus the same person.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

BREAKING NEWS

A rhomboid is a four sided parallelogram whose adjacent sides are not of equal length, much like a rectangle, and whose interior angles do not form 90 degrees.

A rhombus is a four sided parallelogram whose adjacent sides are of exact length, much like a square, and whose interior angles do not form 90 degrees.

HOWEVER, a rhombus is not considered a rhomboid for whatever reason.

In fact a rhomboid is defined as "either a parallelepiped or a parallelogram that is neither a rhombus nor a rectangle"

The plot thickens :hmm:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:BREAKING NEWS

A rhomboid is a four sided parallelogram whose adjacent sides are not of equal length, much like a rectangle, and whose interior angles do not form 90 degrees.

A rhombus is a four sided parallelogram whose adjacent sides are of exact length, much like a square, and whose interior angles do not form 90 degrees.

In fact a rhomboid is defined as "either a parallelepiped or a parallelogram that is neither a rhombus nor a rectangle"

Squares and rhombuses have more in common than squares and rectangles
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

no squares are rectangles all rectangles are circles and some circles are squares
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

The "some point" being geometric properties which tie together large groups of polygons. Within the context of this discussion, that means we can classify infinite quadrilaterals into a handful of groups. Grouping all quadrilaterals with four right angles is a logical classification which we call "rectangles," under which the square also falls. It follows then that a square is a rectangle.

Nope - just because rectangles and squares share a common characteristic doesn't mean they are the same thing. You and I are both members of ESOC - doesn't mean that we are thus the same person.

I have already covered this though. A rectangle is not a particular shape, it is a classification of shapes with certain characteristics that fall under it. We agree two different sized rectangles are still rectangles, or else we would have to name every single infinite rectangle as its own shape. A square falls under the definition of a rectangle therefore it is a rectangles also.

Your analogy is incorrect, as two individual human beings are unique and not the same as a rectangle (infinite non-similar variations) and a square (single non-similar variation).
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:BREAKING NEWS

Squares and rhombuses have more in common than squares and rectangles

Quite untrue, as squares and rectangles will always share the same interior angles, whereas rhombuses could have any infinite amount of interior angles.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I have already covered this though. A rectangle is not a particular shape, it is a classification of shapes with certain characteristics that fall under it. We agree two different sized rectangles are still rectangles, or else we would have to name every single infinite rectangle as its own shape. A square falls under the definition of a rectangle therefore it is a rectangles also.

Your analogy is incorrect, as two individual human beings are unique and not the same as a rectangle (infinite non-similar variations) and a square (single non-similar variation).

I think that every single size of a rectangle is different
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Then this discussion is pointless, as each time you mention "rectangle" you are then referring only to a single one of its infinite variations, in which case, how are we to know that that particular combination of side lengths is the true "rectangle?"
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Then this discussion is pointless, as each time you mention "rectangle" you are then referring only to a single one of its infinite variations, in which case, what makes that particular combination of side lengths the true "rectangle" and what exactly is it?

To bring it back on topic I would say the one true rectangle is a lasagna noodle shape

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

lasagna is my least favorite pasta dish. I hate the texture.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:lasagna is my least favorite pasta dish. I hate the texture.

Bad opinion
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

i'm a irl mathematician and I agree with ear, case closed.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

fightinfrenchman wrote:

Bad opinion

Bad opinion
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

Bad opinion

Bad opinion

My respond always: thank you ron
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

This discussion has made me a little rough on the edges, so I won't be a round much longer.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Farfalle for me because of the texture (cooked outside vs less cooked in the middle), however they don't retain heat as long as other shapes I found (could be wrong) and aren't as easy to eat. Farfalle carbonara is delicious. Ex aequo and easier to present would be tagliatelle, usually with butter/olive oil, parmesan and some lemon juice + veal escalope. Love them bolognese too but takes longer to prepare. Not sure why they aren't in the poll - my go-to pasta if I cook for someone.
Second would be lasagna, because that dish is one of my favorites when properly done
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Post by Dr. D1CK »

Back to the whole pizza slice shape thing, I am a qualified engineer so my opinion of mathematics should count. I think Ear’s argument is very abstract and we should just all agree it’s correct. The real issue hear is the mechanics of pizza consumption by shape. I will start with the rectangle vs square issue.

This is another complicated question. If your assumptions are your pizza is in the shape of a rectangle and the crust follows the long edge, my opinion is you have got some issues. Everyone agrees the crust is the worst part and this shape ensures s maximum crust to pizza ratio aside from the unfortunate scenario where you get a dreaded corner piece. In fact, when a rectangle puzza is cut, it is usually cut into 9 pieces. Usually 8 are rectangles (those around the edges) and by basics geometry the center is square. This piece my friend is the best piece as it has a crust to pizza surface area ratio of 0 which is perfection. There fore based on this logic, square pizza slices are indisputably better based on the crust to pizza surface area ratio. If one thing is better than another, it can’t be the same. Therefore a square piece of pizza can’t be the same as a rectangle piece of pizza. Take my last statement divide both parts by the quantity piece of pizza and they cancel out leaving us with a square can’t be then same as a rectangle which proves the ear’s point.

Your argument is there fore destroyed.
"Build a man a fire, he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dr. D1CK wrote:Back to the whole pizza slice shape thing, I am a qualified engineer so my opinion of mathematics should count. I think Ear’s argument is very abstract and we should just all agree it’s correct. The real issue hear is the mechanics of pizza consumption by shape. I will start with the rectangle vs square issue.

This is another complicated question. If your assumptions are your pizza is in the shape of a rectangle and the crust follows the long edge, my opinion is you have got some issues. Everyone agrees the crust is the worst part and this shape ensures s maximum crust to pizza ratio aside from the unfortunate scenario where you get a dreaded corner piece. In fact, when a rectangle puzza is cut, it is usually cut into 9 pieces. Usually 8 are rectangles (those around the edges) and by basics geometry the center is square. This piece my friend is the best piece as it has a crust to pizza surface area ratio of 0 which is perfection. There fore based on this logic, square pizza slices are indisputably better based on the crust to pizza surface area ratio. If one thing is better than another, it can’t be the same. Therefore a square piece of pizza can’t be the same as a rectangle piece of pizza. Take my last statement divide both parts by the quantity piece of pizza and they cancel out leaving us with a square can’t be then same as a rectangle which proves the ear’s point.

Your argument is there fore destroyed.

stop shitposting from china
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Post by Dr. D1CK »

How did you know I was in China????
"Build a man a fire, he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dr. D1CK wrote:How did you know I was in China????

i stalk you
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Post by Dr. D1CK »

Uhh that’s not good. Well hi from China I guess.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I've been pretty into angel hair recently.

Also I have completely lost my sense of time and with it, my mind. I legitimately thought I made this thread a couple weeks ago and apparently it's been over a year. How is that fair to me?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

As a sidenote this was a really great thread of mine.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

My favorite pasta is the one that is typically filled with vegetables, typically steamed carrots and green beans, ricotta, onion and olive oil.

[spoiler=Image]Image[/spoiler]
Pay more attention to detail.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »