mac and cheese vs potato skins

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

which?

mac and cheese
50%
potato skins
50%

Total votes: 36

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: mac and cheese vs potato skins

Post by deleted_user »

fei123456 wrote:potato+egg > any western food :smile:
Potato and egg can't be western?
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

fei123456 wrote:potato+egg > any western food :smile:

The potato is from Peru, in fact it is the most popular western food in the world :P
De Funk
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

mac and cheese coming for the crown
mad cuz bad
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

rally team potato skinsh lets get it together
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
benj89 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

While a british and a french supermarket are very different, from my experience the same can't be said about american ones: similar products from different brands. I could be wrong as I haven't been to enough different supermarket in the US including some you mentioned.
Walmart would be a good element of comparison actually, with Tesco in the UK and Carrefour or Leclerc in France.

Americans do tend to be more fake than french people, never took the time to understand why.

What do you mean we are "fake?"

Hypocrisy during small talks to the point where its embarrassing for someone not used to it. Couple that with faking to care about someone while you give 0 fuck and consider this as courtesy. After a few years here, I still can’t get used to it and won’t ask "how are you" unless I actually care and would be genuinely interested in hearing about your life. Basically to a friend, not a stranger. To illustrate the issue, next time Domino delivery guy comes to your doorstep and say « Hi, how are you today », start talking about how frustrated you are with today’s results from your pool chemicals, and see if he cares.
You should just stick to a hi, smile if you like the person, ask about their life if you care, but don’t make it awkward with the fake small talk. It's worth noting that I get asked "how are you" in almost every interaction with strangers.

Overall weaker definition of friendship, I believe due to the importance given to the individual at the expense of the group. Being friend/best friend has a meaning in french, while I can’t recount how many times I’ve heard those in the US with 0 meaning behind.

Americans are often scared of confrontation and rather agree than disagree. They pretend to get along with people not to « hurt their feelings ». That’s pretty self explanatory when you see that they get offended by the smallest imaginable things. This could have many reasons, from the individualistic society to children being overprotected by their parents and not being able to face adversity/diversity of opinions after leaving home.

While some people find justification for these attitudes in the corporate world (faking to be happy and getting along with everyone else could lead to a greater productivity?), these shouldn’t exist with personal relationships.

Those that are only one that came to mind right now, but I’m sure there are others. I actually met a french guy who left the US and came back to France simply because he couldn’t stand that aspect of the american culture anymore.

Now that I think about it, those values along with less emphasis on work/life balance are partly responsible as to why many american companies are so innovative and successfull.
In most business related fields americans are ahead, while there schools aren’t better than EU/Asian ones, and many successful american entrepreneur don’t even graduate from college, so culture definitely plays a role in addition to other factors such as more funding.

Also, this is a generalization to make a point, ofc it doesn’t consider every single americans. Just tendencies that could be observed by most french people coming here, including myself. As far as I heard, this is even worse in California, especially in cities like LA but I’ve never been there.

potato skins ftw
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Lol if what benj89 says is true, I find totally awkard the "how are you" to a stranger
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Rikikipu wrote:Lol if what benj89 says is true, I find totally awkard the "how are you" to a stranger

Saying ' how are you ' is common courtesy, just like saying, 'hello', thank you', 'good day?', 'g'day', 'Hows it going'. You aren't asking for their life story just a simple, 'yeah nah alg', 'gud', 'chur', 'allright'.
Like a one-worded response. If its more than that then you have come across some weird people. I was in Austria not too long ago and I bought some red bull, I said g'day to the people at the counter, as per usual, weird af people didn't even reply. I thought it was pretty rude - grumpy people should know better. I learnt it was apparently not on to speak to them - like a sign of respect. If they want my respect really though they should probably not be working at a supermarket at like 50 lol. Even smile a little ffs like you think they feel their job is the most depressing thing in the whole world. No need to make me feel miserable too. Weird customs in austria.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

There are three kinds of "How are you?" that I am aware of. The first one being a genuine question, which is more or less unseen, because you would most certainly word it differently if you actually cared. The second one being something you say out of habit and to which you do not expect, and more importantly, for which you do not even wait for an answer. This is the kind you would say and directly after say something to continue the conversation, e.g. "Hey! How are you? I heard you're growing a beard, how's that going?". This is probably a bit more uncommon in English than in other languages. Finally, the third one being something people ask and wait for a response because they either brainfarted, aren't very proficient in the language, or more commonly are just not very good at interacting with other persons.

The third kind is rather common, and it could turn out to be rather awkward if both parts are bad at socializing. I usually either answer with some generic bullshit and end the conversation right then and there, or answer it and then continue the conversation myself if the person is of interest. However, sometimes it is even justifiable to outright ignore the person if the effort of answering to such bullshit is more than the person deserves.

I do agree with you @benj89, but I think it's important to emphasize that people generally aren't fake because they choose to be, but rather because they are just fucking shit at human interaction. It is really not something exclusive to USA, although it might be more prominent there than most other western countries (I don't know). People in today's world of social deprivation are generally very bad at understanding others and even themselves, both when they themselves are interacting and, even more bizarrely, when observing an interaction between others.
Pay more attention to detail.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
Rikikipu wrote:Lol if what benj89 says is true, I find totally awkard the "how are you" to a stranger

Saying ' how are you ' is common courtesy, just like saying, 'hello', thank you', 'good day?', 'g'day', 'Hows it going'. You aren't asking for their life story just a simple, 'yeah nah alg', 'gud', 'chur', 'allright'.
Like a one-worded response. If its more than that then you have come across some weird people. I was in Austria not too long ago and I bought some red bull, I said g'day to the people at the counter, as per usual, weird af people didn't even reply. I thought it was pretty rude - grumpy people should know better. I learnt it was apparently not on to speak to them - like a sign of respect. If they want my respect really though they should probably not be working at a supermarket at like 50 lol. Even smile a little ffs like you think they feel their job is the most depressing thing in the whole world. No need to make me feel miserable too. Weird customs in austria.

Hello/good day/thank you have nothing to do with how are you to me. Especially when the "how are you" is often followed by "good, how are you" which makes even less sense.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Gendarme wrote:There are three kinds of "How are you?" that I am aware of. The first one being a genuine question, which is more or less unseen, because you would most certainly word it differently if you actually cared. The second one being something you say out of habit and to which you do not expect, and more importantly, for which you do not even wait for an answer. This is the kind you would say and directly after say something to continue the conversation, e.g. "Hey! How are you? I heard you're growing a beard, how's that going?". This is probably a bit more uncommon in English than in other languages. Finally, the third one being something people ask and wait for a response because they either brainfarted, aren't very proficient in the language, or more commonly are just not very good at interacting with other persons.

The third kind is rather common, and it could turn out to be rather awkward if both parts are bad at socializing. I usually either answer with some generic bullshit and end the conversation right then and there, or answer it and then continue the conversation myself if the person is of interest. However, sometimes it is even justifiable to outright ignore the person if the effort of answering to such bullshit is more than the person deserves.

I do agree with you @benj89, but I think it's important to emphasize that people generally aren't fake because they choose to be, but rather because they are just fucking shit at human interaction. It is really not something exclusive to USA, although it might be more prominent there than most other western countries (I don't know). People in today's world of social deprivation are generally very bad at understanding others and even themselves, both when they themselves are interacting and, even more bizarrely, when observing an interaction between others.

I'm not asking people to be good at human interaction, just to be genuine? Adding a non sensical question supposedly increase the quality of the interaction? Do you need to pretend to care about someone's life to make an interaction less awkward, while it shouldn't be in the first place?
The situations I described barely happen in France, hence why americans tend to think french people are rude. That's one reason, the other being most french people can't speak english, and americans expect them to somehow.
My issue is that it's not only a matter of customs, but it translates into their action, a point I forgot is that they tend to be less reliable, everything seems to be more superficial. I'll stop there before offending fellow esocians :chinese:
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

benj89 wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:

Hello/good day/thank you have nothing to do with how are you to me. Especially when the "how are you" is often followed by "good, how are you" which makes even less sense.

'How are you is more informal than the former. Most people don't respond with 'good, how are you' because thats just weird. You are there to have a conversation not a biography. Like when you are buying groceries you get the odd, 'how are ya?' then you should say, 'yeah not bad' then go about with your business. It is just politeness - doesn't have to mean anything.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
benj89 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

'How are you is more informal than the former. Most people don't respond with 'good, how are you' because thats just weird. You are there to have a conversation not a biography. Like when you are buying groceries you get the odd, 'how are ya?' then you should say, 'yeah not bad' then go about with your business. It is just politeness - doesn't have to mean anything.

I paid attention yday, and a decent amount of customers at Trader Joe answer by a variant of "good how are you"
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@benj89 Well, if you don't understand it you'll just do what you think you're supposed to do, which in most cases means just trying to do what everyone else is doing. It perhaps just happens to be the case, due to nothing else than chance only, that Americans are more into meaningless small-talk than French people. Small differences can eventually become big due to the aforementioned self-amplifying loop of people doing what everyone else is doing. It is analogous to the evolution of life where a small mutation can set the course for a whole new species.
Pay more attention to detail.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

benj89 wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I paid attention yday, and a decent amount of customers at Trader Joe answer by a variant of "good how are you"

Americans are just funny people. I find a lot of them to be arrogant and loud.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
benj89 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

How many Americans have you actually met? Something tells me not very many
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

gibson wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:
Show hidden quotes

How many Americans have you actually met? Something tells me not very many

Like 5
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

benj89 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes

What do you mean we are "fake?"

Hypocrisy during small talks to the point where its embarrassing for someone not used to it. Couple that with faking to care about someone while you give 0 fuck and consider this as courtesy. After a few years here, I still can’t get used to it and won’t ask "how are you" unless I actually care and would be genuinely interested in hearing about your life. Basically to a friend, not a stranger. To illustrate the issue, next time Domino delivery guy comes to your doorstep and say « Hi, how are you today », start talking about how frustrated you are with today’s results from your pool chemicals, and see if he cares.
You should just stick to a hi, smile if you like the person, ask about their life if you care, but don’t make it awkward with the fake small talk. It's worth noting that I get asked "how are you" in almost every interaction with strangers.

Overall weaker definition of friendship, I believe due to the importance given to the individual at the expense of the group. Being friend/best friend has a meaning in french, while I can’t recount how many times I’ve heard those in the US with 0 meaning behind.

Americans are often scared of confrontation and rather agree than disagree. They pretend to get along with people not to « hurt their feelings ». That’s pretty self explanatory when you see that they get offended by the smallest imaginable things. This could have many reasons, from the individualistic society to children being overprotected by their parents and not being able to face adversity/diversity of opinions after leaving home.

While some people find justification for these attitudes in the corporate world (faking to be happy and getting along with everyone else could lead to a greater productivity?), these shouldn’t exist with personal relationships.

Those that are only one that came to mind right now, but I’m sure there are others. I actually met a french guy who left the US and came back to France simply because he couldn’t stand that aspect of the american culture anymore.

Now that I think about it, those values along with less emphasis on work/life balance are partly responsible as to why many american companies are so innovative and successfull.
In most business related fields americans are ahead, while there schools aren’t better than EU/Asian ones, and many successful american entrepreneur don’t even graduate from college, so culture definitely plays a role in addition to other factors such as more funding.

Also, this is a generalization to make a point, ofc it doesn’t consider every single americans. Just tendencies that could be observed by most french people coming here, including myself. As far as I heard, this is even worse in California, especially in cities like LA but I’ve never been there.

potato skins ftw

This is also my experience, though it may be an east coast thing, not sure.

But according to your post, may be the same or worse onthe west coast.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

benj89 wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Oh hi Benj funny seeing you here how are you! I bet you're busy aren't you, gotta pay those bills right? Don't work too hard! Haha, remember when I ran into you yesterday? This is basically the same thing lol! Anyways I've got to get back to work, gotta pay those bills right? HAHAHAHAHAHA. See you tomorrow! *exits washroom*
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

So we purchased both mac and potato skins it gonna be op, ain't no doubt about that. If you do choose to doubt it fuck you.

New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Jam wrote:
benj89 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Oh hi Benj funny seeing you here how are you! I bet you're busy aren't you, gotta pay those bills right? Don't work too hard! Haha, remember when I ran into you yesterday? This is basically the same thing lol! Anyways I've got to get back to work, gotta pay those bills right? HAHAHAHAHAHA. See you tomorrow! *exits washroom*

You should only strike up a conversation if you are peeing right next to them.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Potato skin. It so good. Yeeee
Attachments
IMG_1501.JPG

Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

make a video how to make them @evilcheadar
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98