Major music alert!

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Major music alert!

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Hi everyone,

Whether you are putting your favourite Christian Rock Music (looking at you Xeelee), your hit RiceGum diss track or even playing for the 34th time in a row 'It's Everyday Bro' by Jake Paul, you might be thinking whether you can get some extra bass out of your system. You reach for the 'Bass' option and turn it all the way up. It is still not enough to break your windows with Jake Paul goodness. Now you google car speaker systems to see what you can get for your moolah (whilst driving of course).

The vast world of extremely loud music with high fidelity is open to you, and your young mind (not you Metis) wanders over to the SuperCheapAuto and buys the first step to this master race of sound: an Amplifer and Subwoofer - as well as a Wiring Kit. Eager to put 2 and 2 together (-1 thats three) you jam all the wiring together in something that makes sense to the average watcher of Mighty Car Mods. It's all wired together and sound travels through the wires. Makes sense right? Not so much.

Here are Jakey's Top Tips for hooking up a sick sound system like the pros do:

1) Connect everything in series from the connections on the Amplifier. You want as much power going to the speakers / sub as you can. Had someone just now connect them in parallel and try and get his money back. You get about fraction to your second/third subwoofer as you get on your first if you work in parallel. Use another channel if you want to do this.

2) Stock speakers from around 2005/6 and up are generally as good as you are going to get anyway. Just use the RCA from the head unit.

3) Don't do something stupid like use a bolt on your engine to ground an amp. Actually saw this once. Just use a bolt from inside your Trunk. Always ground to your chassis. Otherwise results can be "shocking".

4) Use appropriate size wires. I've seen 8 gauge on speaker wiring and 16 gauge on 12V. You are gonna melt the insulation and short. Car batterys are nothing to sniff at in terms of power. Thats why I only leave 2 or 3 lying around my barn at once.

5) If your head unit has no remote wire in the harness then use the ACC wire. Any 12V wire that potentiates when the car is in ACC will do. Even just connecting the remote wire in a loop to the 12V wire will do fine - but you need to manually turn the amp on every time you want dat bass.

6) Don't buy cheap Chinese shit. You can get explosive results.

7) Always buy an amp that suits the channels you need and with a lower power output than your Subwoofer. This is so you don't blow up your sub when you are cooked af.

7.5) Buy the right wiring harness. If you can't get one its nothing a bit of googling and heat shink can't fix. It is much more convenient to get the harness though.

8) Have fun and message me if you need anything else. I've been doing sound systems professionally for around 2 years now. Feel free to AMA.

p.s. no poll
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Major music alert!

Post by tedere12 »

woow