The Ear's Pool School Part 2: Automatic Cleaners

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

The Ear's Pool School Part 2: Automatic Cleaners

Post by fightinfrenchman »

First of all I’d like to apologize. In my previous pool care thread about chemicals I neglected to mention one major thing: calcium hardness! This is the amount of calcium that is dissolved in your pool. You are likely familiar with the terms “hard” and “soft” water already, but with pools there is an important element to consider with this. You generally want hardness between 200-400. If the hardness is too high, you’ll start seeing slimy calcium deposits on the walls of your pool. But the real danger is if it’s too low - the water will start leeching the calcium from the plaster of the pool walls, causing permanent etching damage! You definitely want to make sure you keep at a minimum level of 200ppm, especially over winter. Rain or other new water will lower your hardness, so keep an eye on it. If you have a fiberglass pool or a vinyl liner, you don’t need to worry about this - it’s only for plaster pools.

Now, onto cleaners! I’m only going to go over the ones I am familiar with.

You have two options to pick from for the start: a pressure-based cleaner or an electric/”robotic” cleaner. Pressure cleaners are plug into an outlet in the pool and use the pressure of your pump to propel themselves, while robotic cleaners have a control box that plugs into an electric outlet, and a waterproof cord runs from the control box to the cleaner.

Pressure cleaners:
Pros:
- Usually much cheaper
- Easily repairable
- Will last a long time if properly taken care of
Cons:
- Won’t do as good of a clean
- Lacks convenient features

Robotic cleaners:
Pros:
- Superior clean
- Not connected to the pool system at all
- A variety of useful features
- Looks pretty cool
Cons:
- Expensive
- Not easily repairable, and parts are quite expensive
- Don’t usually last very long

Polaris pressure cleaners:
Polaris 360:
This is the base model of the Polaris line, usually gets included with new pool installations. No-frills or cool features, but it’s got a reliable 3-wheel design that has been used for decades, and fairly cheap at around $500 (try to get it during a Polaris Days sale, where you can get it 10% off and possibly with an extra bag). It can be a bit annoying to take apart, but once you get used to it you can do it quickly, and replacing parts on here is relatively cheap, so it will usually last you a long time. The first thing to go will likely be the hose - in order to avoid replacing it so often, make sure you take your cleaner out of the pool whenever you add any chemicals, especially shock (this applies to all cleaners!). Sidenote: this cleaner is actually the direct replacement to the famous Ray-Vac, and improves on it in many ways, although it doesn’t have the same striking design that made the Ray-Vac so beloved.

Polaris 380/TR35:
This is a bit different than other pressure cleaners, as it actually requires a separate “booster pump” to function. If you don’t already have a booster bump, do not get this cleaner, as it costs a few hundred dollars on its own, and at that point you might as well get a robotic cleaner. Also, don’t get this cleaner anyway, because…

Polaris 3900:
This one also requires a booster pump, so if you have one/have decided to get one, you will always want to get this one over the 380. It features a similar design as the previous two, but with much higher quality materials all around - the bag, the wheels, the body, and even the belts. These things hardly ever need to be repaired, and they offer the best clean you can get among the pressure cleaners.

Polaris Robotic cleaners:
Polaris 9350:
The base model of the Polaris robotic cleaners. It has the great “Easy Lift” feature, allowing you to simply press a button on the control box and have the cleaner turn toward you and climb up the wall so you don’t need to tug on the cord to get it out of the pool. It has two cleaning cycles; just the floor or the floor and walls. The brush in the front helps scrub any dirt or debris off your pool surface, and the basket inside allows for easy cleaning.

Polaris 9450:
This model features everything about the 9350 but includes three important distinctions: 4-wheel drive to get over steps better, a 7-day programmable timer so you can leave the cleaner in the pool while you go on vacation, and most importantly a 3-year warranty instead of a 2-year warranty. The added warranty alone is enough to cover the added cost - if you’re going to buy a robotic Polaris, I highly recommend this one.

Polaris 9550:
This one features a longer cord than the previous two (70’ vs. 60’) as well as a remote that allows you to manually control the cleaner to clean specific spots. It’s mostly a gimmick in my opinion, but some people like the added control.

Polaris 9650:
Same as the 9550, but instead of a remote you can control and monitor the cleaner with an app on your phone. Definitely a gimmick, not worth the obscene added cost - if you’re wealthy enough to consider this, just hire someone to clean your pool.

Polaris 8050:
A new addition to the line-up, this cleaner features a totally different design, using tracks instead of wheels. This one usually costs the same as the 9350, but has a shorter cord (50’) and lacks the Easy Lift system that all other models have. It’s really only designed to appeal to people who are in love the Aquabot design, so unless that applies to you definitely skip this one.

Aquabots: I’ll admit upfront I don’t have as much knowledge of Aquabot’s line of products. They are all robotic, and typically better built than Polaris robotic cleaners, but they are not easily repairable by your local pool store, so if it breaks you’ll have to ship it away to Aquabot to get it repaired, which can take several weeks.

Pura 4XT:
Absolute garbage cleaner, probably the cheapest robotic cleaner you can buy. Typically recommended for above ground pools, which as I’ve stated are bad.

Rapids 1500:
Probably the pinnacle that I’ve seen of Aquabot’s signature tank-style design, they finally started to use baskets here (like Polaris has done for years) instead of the difficult-to-clean bags they used to use. Not a bad choice, but lacks the OP features of Polaris cleaners.

Rapids 4WD:
This one ditches the treads for wheels, but puts the brush underneath the cleaner, which means that it can’t clean the tile line. However, it does use two baskets instead of bags, and it is a bit cheaper than the cheapest model of the Polaris line, so I can see myself recommending this one if you’re on a budget.

Aquabot has many other cleaners but I’m either unfamiliar with them or would recommend staying away - if you’re getting a robotic cleaner, don’t use bags. It’s just not worth the hassle.

So those are my thoughts on cleaners! Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions about them.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: The Ear's Pool School Part 2: Automatic Cleaners

Post by deleted_user »

I want price estimates. How can I be expected to make an informed decision as a consumer without rough price estimates?
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

The ray-vac is what we have at my pool. It just has that look that not many other cleaners can match, a look as iconic as the B-2 stealth bomber.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:I want price estimates. How can I be expected to make an informed decision as a consumer without rough price estimates?

If my memory serves me well, these are the estimates:
Polaris 360 - $500
Polaris 380 - $600
Polaris 3900 - $800
9350 - $999
8050 - $999
9450 - $1199
9550 - $1299
9650 - $1399

Aquabot Pura 4X - $350
Rapids 1500 - $999
Rapids 4WD - $899

@gustavusadolphus can help correct some of these if I'm wrong.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

All this seems pretty expensive just to clean a pool. Do you know if it's possible to clean one with my bear hands only?
Top quality poster.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Is this your proffession?
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Buying them used makes a lot more sense, ive seen them go on ebay for like half market price. This probably is related to the sellers moving to a new place without a pool, or scrapping the pool alltogether
Error 404: Signature not found
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

What is your experience with salt water pools? Do they require the same types of cleaning devices as chlorine pools?
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Darwin_ wrote:What is your experience with salt water pools? Do they require the same types of cleaning devices as chlorine pools?

Why don't you just swim in the sea?
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:What is your experience with salt water pools? Do they require the same types of cleaning devices as chlorine pools?

Salt water pools actually generally have such a low salt content that it feels like swimming in a lake or a river. You don't get that salty or chlorine-y feeling from them which is sick (and you dont need to wear goggles!).
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Darwin_ wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:

Salt water pools actually generally have such a low salt content that it feels like swimming in a lake or a river. You don't get that salty or chlorine-y feeling from them which is sick (and you dont need to wear goggles!).

Growing up in such a sea-orintated area, I don't get that salty sickness or wear googles. I understand the value of the Salt-Water pool, but can you sea my point of view as well? I am anxious to see what Ear has to say about this. Dare I say excited.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Darwin_ wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:

I'm going to cover salt pools in a later thread, but there is just as much chlorine in a salt pool as in a regular pool, sometimes more
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I have hired a company to clean my pool. They come 3 times a week.

Had I still been married, I would have told my wife to clean it. I am too busy with other things.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

Snuden wrote:I have hired a company to clean my pool. They come 3 times a week.

Had I still been married, I would have told my wife to clean it. I am too busy with other things.

This is probably why you're not married anymore.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Professional pool cleaner @fightinfrenchman stealing your wife!
mad cuz bad
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I'm going to cover salt pools in a later thread, but there is just as much chlorine in a salt pool as in a regular pool, sometimes more

I'm intrigued!
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Is it worth getting an outdoor pool in a country where it rains half the time?
Top quality poster.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Laurence Drake wrote:Is it worth getting an outdoor pool in a country where it rains half the time?

Depends. Rain causes you to use some more chemicals but can also help by reducing your TDS and cyanuric acid levels.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Don't most outdoor pools have covers? That way the leaves don't blow in and the rain won't either
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

deleted_user wrote:Don't most outdoor pools have covers? That way the leaves don't blow in and the rain won't either

Some do, not necessarily most
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Don't most outdoor pools have covers? That way the leaves don't blow in and the rain won't either

Some do, not necessarily most

well, unban?
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

- Aizamk
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:Is it worth getting an outdoor pool in a country where it rains half the time?

Depends. Rain causes you to use some more chemicals but can also help by reducing your TDS and cyanuric acid levels.

But what's the point if I hardly ever get to use the pool.
Top quality poster.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Laurence Drake wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

But what's the point if I hardly ever get to use the pool.

Rain won't stop you from just hoppin' on in!
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag Dr. D1CK
Skirmisher

Post by Dr. D1CK »

Ear!!! You must know the 3900 does not run on belts!!! No wonder you didn’t sell many. The 3900 is driven my stainless steel chains instead of belts. You probably didn’t know this important fact because the chains never wore out and you never had to fix them plus your silly boss always wanted to sell robo cleaners instead.

Polaris 3900:
This one also requires a booster pump, so if you have one/have decided to get one, you will always want to get this one over the 380. It features a similar design as the previous two, but with much higher quality materials all around - the bag, the wheels, the body, and even the belts. These things hardly ever need to be repaired, and they offer the best clean you can get among the pressure cleaners.

Polaris Robotic cleaners:
Polaris 9350:
The base model of the Polaris robotic cleaners. It has the great “Easy Lift” feature, allowing you to simply press a button on the control box and have the cleaner turn toward you and climb up the wall so you don’t need to tug on the cord to get it out of the pool. It has two cleaning cycles; just the floor or the floor and walls. The brush in the front helps scrub any dirt or debris off your pool surface, and the basket inside allows for easy cleaning.

Polaris 9450:
This model features everything about the 9350 but includes three important distinctions: 4-wheel drive to get over steps better, a 7-day programmable timer so you can leave the cleaner in the pool while you go on vacation, and most importantly a 3-year warranty instead of a 2-year warranty. The added warranty alone is enough to cover the added cost - if you’re going to buy a robotic Polaris, I highly recommend this one.

Polaris 9550:
This one features a longer cord than the previous two (70’ vs. 60’) as well as a remote that allows you to manually control the cleaner to clean specific spots. It’s mostly a gimmick in my opinion, but some people like the added control.

Polaris 9650:
Same as the 9550, but instead of a remote you can control and monitor the cleaner with an app on your phone. Definitely a gimmick, not worth the obscene added cost - if you’re wealthy enough to consider this, just hire someone to clean your pool.

Polaris 8050:
A new addition to the line-up, this cleaner features a totally different design, using tracks instead of wheels. This one usually costs the same as the 9350, but has a shorter cord (50’) and lacks the Easy Lift system that all other models have. It’s really only designed to appeal to people who are in love the Aquabot design, so unless that applies to you definitely skip this one.

Aquabots: I’ll admit upfront I don’t have as much knowledge of Aquabot’s line of products. They are all robotic, and typically better built than Polaris robotic cleaners, but they are not easily repairable by your local pool store, so if it breaks you’ll have to ship it away to Aquabot to get it repaired, which can take several weeks.

Pura 4XT:
Absolute garbage cleaner, probably the cheapest robotic cleaner you can buy. Typically recommended for above ground pools, which as I’ve stated are bad.

Rapids 1500:
Probably the pinnacle that I’ve seen of Aquabot’s signature tank-style design, they finally started to use baskets here (like Polaris has done for years) instead of the difficult-to-clean bags they used to use. Not a bad choice, but lacks the OP features of Polaris cleaners.

Rapids 4WD:
This one ditches the treads for wheels, but puts the brush underneath the cleaner, which means that it can’t clean the tile line. However, it does use two baskets instead of bags, and it is a bit cheaper than the cheapest model of the Polaris line, so I can see myself recommending this one if you’re on a budget.

Aquabot has many other cleaners but I’m either unfamiliar with them or would recommend staying away - if you’re getting a robotic cleaner, don’t use bags. It’s just not worth the hassle.

So those are my thoughts on cleaners! Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any questions about them.[/quote]
"Build a man a fire, he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

They're metal belts, same damn thing