27 people lost their lives in a shooting, Sutherland Springs, Texas

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Re: 27 people lost their lives in a shooting, Sutherland Springs, Texas

Post by gamevideo113 »

I don't think guns of any kind should be allowed, overall a country without free access to weapons feels safer. But at the same time for example here in Italy people don't have many tools to defend from burglars, and while i don't think you should shoot a burglar, i think that free access to guns heavily deters this kind of criminality. To be honest though a pistol is all you'll ever need for personal defense, so i definitely think that the US could rework their laws on guns. Automatic rifles surely are more of a threat for the population than a tool for personal defense.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Unfortunately this happens all the time in America because of our hyper violent culture and out extreme lack of empathy. The federal government also does nothing to help and in fact feeds the fire by not caring jack shit about its citizens. I mention the federal government only because this has become a national issue. At this point mass shootings in our country have become routine and that is something that should never be.
De Funk
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I dont think psychopaths/poor people that enter someone's property to kill that person are very.. common? In the case of an armed robbery you're still not even allowed to use a gun and kill someone most of the time, that's how law works.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Jerom wrote:I dont think psychopaths/poor people that enter someone's property to kill that person are very.. common? In the case of an armed robbery you're still not even allowed to use a gun and kill someone most of the time, that's how law works.

People break into houses to steal on a regular basis, at least that happened in the town I grew up in France, including my house. If you oppose resistance to people stealing from you, that's when violence occurs. Then you have the case where the person is just a psychopath and it also happened close to where I lived.

Better be judged by 12 than carried than 6, right?
As for how law works according to you, in reality it depends a lot from countries to countries and states to states, but in general I wouldn't be worried about my defense if I had to shoot a burglar who came in my property with a knife/gun and did not flee once I signaled my presence (which implies aggressive behavior toward my person since he would then feel threatened and rush toward me or flee). Owning a gun also means knowing how to use it - I would shoot to neutralize him, not to kill.
I'm not going to study the whole french or usa jurisprudence to prove to prove my point, and I am aware that it could potentially include jail time even if I could legally invoke self defense. I guess that's a price I'm willing to pay to have the peace of mind that I can at least try to protect my family in case the worst happens. The castle doctrine seems interesting in the case of the US, but then again I'd probably study all that once I buy a house.
If the burglar/psycho is fleeing once he sees/hears you, then that's something else and you shouldn't do anything besides calling the cops
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

benj89 wrote:
zoom wrote:
benj89 wrote:not really if you consider that if the shooter gets killed, the death toll stops. I'm not really into the gun debate, to me a citizen should be able to be armed to protect himself after solid background checks. I'll buy a glock as soon as I get a house and a family
Of course you will – you're living in a land where anyone at all could kill anyone at all at any time. I would be fucking scared.

I would do the exact same thing if I happen to live in France or anywhere else. It's just a matter of not depending on 911 to protect yourself and your family against psychopaths/poor ppl, which are sadly a part of every country. Quick google search told me that in France, about 4.5k armed robbery happened with guns in 2015, and 5.5k with knifes.

The point is, the world is violent, and I want to be able to defend myself. Now if you can't acknowledge that, either you grew up in a very privileged environment, either you are willing to depend on police/luck for your own safety - I'm not.
If your environment is at all like Sweden, I'd call you paranoid.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

benj89 wrote:The point is, the world is violent, and I want to be able to defend myself. Now if you can't acknowledge that, either you grew up in a very privileged environment, either you are willing to depend on police/luck for your own safety - I'm not.

Sure, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that.

But how would you reconcile your safety concerns when the statistics show that you put yourself at a greater risk by owning a gun?

There's a ludicrous abundance of studies on this and I appreciate also there's different situations regarding gun safety but just to cover 3 different sub-topics:

A recent meta-analysis which indicates that gun ownership doubles the risk of homicide and triples the risk of suicide: http://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/1814426/accessibility-firearms-risk-suicide-homicide-victimization-among-household-members-systematic

A national (US) survey showing that a gun in the household is significantly more likely to be used against a family member or partner than to be used in self defense: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10619696

US DoJ NCVS statistics (data from all recorded crime in America) https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf & https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv11.pdf showing owning a gun does not make you safer only in instances of protecting yourself from an armed intruder. Admittedly it doesn't make it less safe though.

I just had a quick look at some polls and interestingly enough a majority of Americans (~ 63%) believe that a gun makes the home a safer place which is factually incorrect. There's a clear disconnect between perception and reality. Where do you fall into this?

The one positive statistic I can find that is in favour of owning a gun is that it can reduce the instance of criminals that have the sole intent to steal. I wouldn't classify material protection as safety however, do you? Or material protection is important enough in it's own right?

(If I was an American) I'd make the following argument that I don't own a gun precisely because I do want to protect myself (and family.) Which is essentially your argument in favour of owning a gun.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Thats a KO for gun advocates. Let the durr freedom arguments begin!
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

@WickedCossack, i'll look through these later this week (potentially next) and answer then
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Probably would be safer if we never let vehicles get above 40 mph too.

The reality is the safety of the gross population can and is sacrificed for the convenience (in this case safety) of the individual.

You cite studies which consider trends across a reasonable sample size. But this is an issue about the individual. The fact is there exists a responsible gun owner out there who has saved his own life by owning and carrying a gun. You can take that right away from him to benefit the statistics of the group but that's an entirely different debate. I guess the issue just devolves into ethics which is even muddier. To be honest I side with rights for the individual.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

WickedCossack wrote:The one positive statistic I can find that is in favour of owning a gun is that it can reduce the instance of criminals that have the sole intent to steal. I wouldn't classify material protection as safety however, do you? Or material protection is important enough in it's own right?

Sometimes burglars are persistent and they aren't kind about it. If they break into your house, your "materials" are what matters the least, as your safety is in danger too. Especially with old people, they take advantage of their superior physical strength to threaten the victim in order to know where the money/jewelry is. For all the reasons you mentioned i would not keep a gun in my house, but a gun does not require physical strength to be used and i can see why it does actually make some people's houses safer. A burglar will think twice before trying to break in someone's house if he knows they have a gun.

This said, having guns available to everyone might mean more safety in one's house from external threats, but it also means more danger for everyone outside of your house so i believe the arguments for banning weapons are still better than those for keeping them.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:Probably would be safer if we never let vehicles get above 40 mph too.

The reality is the safety of the gross population can and is sacrificed for the convenience (in this case safety) of the individual.

You cite studies which consider trends across a reasonable sample size. But this is an issue about the individual. The fact is there exists a responsible gun owner out there who has saved his own life by owning and carrying a gun. You can take that right away from him to benefit the statistics of the group but that's an entirely different debate. I guess the issue just devolves into ethics which is even muddier. To be honest I side with rights for the individual.

Restricting cars to 40mph is not really comparable though :/
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I never really said it's analogous. It's an example showing we don't necessarily approach problems strictly in terms of minimizing overall harm.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's seriously just group benefit vs individual benefit.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Well the debate is probably pointless anyways and unless anyone here is a philosopher it will probably be illy constructed too.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

27 people lost their lives in my country in the past week due to traffic. For crying out loud. This is terrible.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Trump says it is a "mental issue problem", not a "weapon problem". So I wonder if the same would have happened if the guy didn't have a gun... :hmm:
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

gamevideo113 wrote:Trump says it is a "mental issue problem", not a "weapon problem". So I wonder if the same would have happened if the guy didn't have a gun... :hmm:

This guy should have been locked up.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

deleted_user wrote:You cite studies which consider trends across a reasonable sample size. But this is an issue about the individual. The fact is there exists a responsible gun owner out there who has saved his own life by owning and carrying a gun. You can take that right away from him to benefit the statistics of the group but that's an entirely different debate. I guess the issue just devolves into ethics which is even muddier. To be honest I side with rights for the individual.

Sure, I get that it comes down to the individual. That's precisely why the majority of Americans believe a gun makes the home safer, because I'm not a statistic, I'm not suicidal, I don't want to kill people, I'm not like those other people, those stats don't apply to me the individual. It's always someone's belief that they're unique but when you take a step back are you really? The statistics show that you're not.

As an aside it's that belief that drives a lot of political stances in America right now (healthcare, social-care etc.)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Onion articles are great representations of truth in a manner which considers all the nuances present.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fei123456 wrote:it's UNIMAGINABLE that people are killed by guns here.

Same here. Basically there was never one single killing spree in the history of Romania. No school shootings, no church shootings, none of these happens here.

And people who buy weapons on the black market end up doing time in prison when they get caught.

But this culture of shooting real firearms for fun or using guns to solve your problems (suicide, shooting sprees etc) is completely missing here, in Europe. The only situation in which real firearms are used here is for hunting, and that is very strictly regulated and checked. For target practice I think there are special non-lethal guns which are used and they can only be used in regulated places.

And still, people in this country revolted against a Communist dictatorship and succeeded in overthrowing it. Without owning weapons.
No Flag zosgan
Musketeer
ESO: Zosgan

Post by zosgan »

:(
قحاب ويييييييييييييي نتوما قحاب فلبرلمان دلقحاب
Finland fungu
Musketeer
ESO: vati

Post by fungu »

phpBB [video]

This, minus the gender issue.

Dolan wrote:But this culture of shooting real firearms for fun or using guns to solve your problems (suicide, shooting sprees etc) is completely missing here, in Europe. The only situation in which real firearms are used here is for hunting, and that is very strictly regulated and checked. For target practice I think there are special non-lethal guns which are used and they can only be used in regulated places.

In general European countries are better places to live for most people. I mean the society here isn't as competetive, yet.
No Flag zosgan
Musketeer
ESO: Zosgan

Post by zosgan »

may allah punish them
قحاب ويييييييييييييي نتوما قحاب فلبرلمان دلقحاب
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:It's seriously just group benefit vs individual benefit.

But it's not! It's in the individual benefit to have nobody, the individual himself included, have guns. That's how statistics work.