6 6 6

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

6 6 6

Post by Snuden »

Does the Copenhagen Interpretation (by Niels Bohr) prove that we live in a virtual reality?
If so, is Gendarme a real (virtual) gendarme?

:?:
[Sith] - Baphomet
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: 6 6 6

Post by Dolan »

No
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

/thread
[Sith] - Baphomet
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

ffs learn your facts micro properties doesn't necessarily generalise to macro world. @momuuu pls debunk him
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

But I have no clue, which is why I asked!
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Had I known the answer I would have created an [Official] thread.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

We all know that @Goodspeed is not a of the Copenhagen Interpretation, so with that in mind I think it is safe to say that Bohr was wrong.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I didn't even know that myself
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The copenhagen interpretation also implies that the wavefunction of a particle collapses upon measurement, so in the macroscopic world the majority of the particles will be "measuring" eachother meaning that macroscopic properties are very consistent, I believe. Also, there are so many microscopic particles that even pseudorandom behaviour, like predicted in QM, leads to consistent macroscopic properties. Look at statistical physics for example and the kinetic theory of gas: A gas is just a bunch of particles moving around randomly at pseudorandom velocity (distributed according to a specific function). The pressure is caused by these kinetic particles bumping into something. In practise, we don't feel pressure deviations and actually in the macroscopic world we don't measure them because a mole of gas contains 10^24 particles, which is so much that random deviations cancel eachother out.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

Snuden wrote:Does the Copenhagen Interpretation (by Niels Bohr) prove that we live in a virtual reality?

Yes AND No
ImageImageImage
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

All i knew about the copenhagen interpretation is a little less than Jerom wrote. However i do not see a causal causation to reality beeing virtual. Can you guys explain how it leads to vr?

The only question i see in the copenhagen interpretation is whether live is determined or not.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01

Post by j_t_kirk »

japanesegeneral wrote:However i do not see a causal causation to reality beeing virtual. Can you guys explain how it leads to vr?

It doesn't lead to vr.
ImageImageImage
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

I mean the virtual reality to live in not the one you use on your console...I was just too lazy to type it all.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Jerom wrote:The copenhagen interpretation also implies that the wavefunction of a particle collapses upon measurement, so in the macroscopic world the majority of the particles will be "measuring" eachother meaning that macroscopic properties are very consistent, I believe. Also, there are so many microscopic particles that even pseudorandom behaviour, like predicted in QM, leads to consistent macroscopic properties. Look at statistical physics for example and the kinetic theory of gas: A gas is just a bunch of particles moving around randomly at pseudorandom velocity (distributed according to a specific function). The pressure is caused by these kinetic particles bumping into something. In practise, we don't feel pressure deviations and actually in the macroscopic world we don't measure them because a mole of gas contains 10^24 particles, which is so much that random deviations cancel eachother out.

I see we have another physics junkie here, this is 100% my opinion on microscopic and macroscopic properties. Macros are consistent because of the organized randomness (oxymoron) of microscopic objects.

And no the Copenhagen interpretation does not constitute virtual reality, you may also want to clarify what you mean by virtual reality. Do you mean a separate/parallel reality? Because virtual would be man made through electronics.
De Funk
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Hidddy_ wrote:
Jerom wrote:The copenhagen interpretation also implies that the wavefunction of a particle collapses upon measurement, so in the macroscopic world the majority of the particles will be "measuring" eachother meaning that macroscopic properties are very consistent, I believe. Also, there are so many microscopic particles that even pseudorandom behaviour, like predicted in QM, leads to consistent macroscopic properties. Look at statistical physics for example and the kinetic theory of gas: A gas is just a bunch of particles moving around randomly at pseudorandom velocity (distributed according to a specific function). The pressure is caused by these kinetic particles bumping into something. In practise, we don't feel pressure deviations and actually in the macroscopic world we don't measure them because a mole of gas contains 10^24 particles, which is so much that random deviations cancel eachother out.

I see we have another physics junkie here, this is 100% my opinion on microscopic and macroscopic properties. Macros are consistent because of the organized randomness (oxymoron) of microscopic objects.

And no the Copenhagen interpretation does not constitute virtual reality, you may also want to clarify what you mean by virtual reality. Do you mean a separate/parallel reality? Because virtual would be man made through electronics.

I meant if it would be possible based on his interpretation :/
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Hidddy_ wrote:

Why man made?
Retired Contributor

Post by Hidddy_ »

Snuden wrote:
Hidddy_ wrote:

I meant if it would be possible based on his interpretation :/

I would say no that we don't live in a virtual reality based on his interpretation. His interpretation says that although the properties of small things may be indefinite, they become definite once observed or measured. Now the more complicated thing is that although the properties of particles and other small objects may be indefinite, the overall properties of a unit of particles can be definite (i.e. A cloud of gas). That's because the individual properties of a particle are undefined until the time of observation BUT whatever property you are going to measure has a value that is governed by a physical law, making it consistent with measurements of other nearby particles if you were to measure them, and consistent with the system as a whole.
De Funk
Retired Contributor

Post by Hidddy_ »

Goodspeed wrote:
Hidddy_ wrote:

Why man made?

I only said man made because virtual refers to something running on a computer and for now we only have knowledge of computers built by man. Alternatively we could use a more physical definition of virtual.
De Funk
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01

Post by j_t_kirk »

japanesegeneral wrote:I mean the virtual reality to live in not the one you use on your console...I was just too lazy to type it all.

This was obvious to me. The Copenhagen Interpretation dosn't lead to virtual reality. There was a physicist (I forgot his name) who said that it leads to vr and he published a book about his interpretation, but this isn't a generally accepted theory.
ImageImageImage
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

j_t_kirk wrote:
japanesegeneral wrote:I mean the virtual reality to live in not the one you use on your console...I was just too lazy to type it all.

This was obvious to me. The Copenhagen Interpretation dosn't lead to virtual reality. There was a physicist (I forgot his name) who said that it leads to vr and he published a book about his interpretation, but this isn't a generally accepted theory.

Yes, that's what I read, which is why I asked.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

There's a theory about a multiverse caused by quantum mechanics but I believe that is generally widely misunderstood in what it implies. I think we're talking about Pilot Wave theory here; But that aims to fix the randomness of Quantum mechanics by claiming there are hidden variables (not an insane thing to claim).