Firefox 57

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Firefox 57

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Firefox 57

Post by fightinfrenchman »

It's a placebo
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

firefox > chrome
ImageImageImage
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

It's really sick. I hope people will move back to Firefox now it is definitely the same or even better than Google Chrome even more because it doesn't collect your data and the Mozzila foundation is one of the biggest actor defending an open and free internet.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Yeah it's better than chrome for everyone, my RAM usage has decreased so much since I started using it, I still couldn't find my favorite plugins/addons like Mailtrack on this version but I think I can live without it as long as I am getting more RAM for other works.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Rikikipu wrote:it doesn't collect your data and the Mozzila foundation is one of the biggest actor defending an open and free internet.
Don't be so sure.

Pingsender is activated from the second browsing session on. It is launched as a separate process during Firefox shut down, and attempts to send the telemetry data that was collected during the browsing session to Mozilla.
Source: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/14/what-is-pingsender-exe-on-windows/

Read more: https://www.a2p.it/wordpress/tech-stuff/mozilla/firefox-data-faster-shutdown-pingsender/

Mozilla, the company that spurred innovation on the web with its Firefox browser, now hopes to help solve the fake news problem. [...] "We believe that having more eyes and brains on anything usually makes it better," said Katharina Borchert, Mozilla’s chief innovation officer. [...] Mozilla is encouraging other companies to look back at their own user data, so that all involved can get a better understanding of the issue. [...] "The more we know about the topic and what people actually look at and how are they affected by that, the better we can design interventions for them," said Borchert.
Source: https://archive.fo/WXBAT

Some popular alternatives for people concerned with privacy are:

I am not sure how secure WaterFox, Palemoon, and Brave are, but GNU obviously speaks for itself.
Pay more attention to detail.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Anonymous data is always helpful to improve the user experience and the performance issues, if people don't want to share even that then there is no hope for better products in future, it will all come to a stall.

PS: no pingsender.exe found on my system so this might be old.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Engine changes seem good, overall interface seems usable, dev tools seem good though I haven't tested them out much yet. However, I'm still turned off by the lack of core options to customize the browser and lack of features such as mouse gestures. No mouse gestures is a deal breaker for me, I'll try to get them working through an external program so I can at least test using the new FF a bit more.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Engine changes seem good, overall interface seems usable, dev tools seem good though I haven't tested them out much yet. However, I'm still turned off by the lack of core options to customize the browser and lack of features such as mouse gestures. No mouse gestures is a deal breaker for me, I'll try to get them working through an external program so I can at least test using the new FF a bit more.

dev tools are not good performance wise, they seem to lag a little when the dev are in intense use.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

kami_ryu wrote:What is a mouse gesture? If it just got released maybe it still needs some time for people to get their add-ons developed.

That's a turn off for me, compared to basic version, this firefox has less compatible add-ons which ruins the experience, especially of the user base which comes from Chrome
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I didn't know addons were so damn popular. I use nothing other than uBlock Origin.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

kami_ryu wrote:What is a mouse gesture? If it just got released maybe it still needs some time for people to get their add-ons developed.

See example here: https://vivalditips.com/navigation/mouse-gestures/en
You right-click and do a certain mouse movement to execute actions like new tab, close tab, etc. Extremely useful.
From what I've briefly read around, the support for mouse gestures is restricted worse than ever in new FF, even for extensions. It really should be a core feature of all browsers in the first place.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@EAGLEMUT As a programmer you're supposed to have three hands on d... keyboard anyway. Mouse gestures are for peasants.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

I miss the Vimisation of Firefox
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

firefox sucks now
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, it improved a bit. Rendering seems a bit snappier than before, interface is also a bit more streamlined.

Things I like: native dark mode, no need to install anything, compact toolbars/menus mode, you can preview different tabs in the taskbar.

Things that suck: when you create a new tab there's a slight flicker/refresh effect, dev tools lag and also flicker while switching between tabs, the console prompt is green. The menu opening animation is really unnecessary, I want an instant menu, not a delayed menu. Why would you make the bookmarks menu show up instantly, but the options menu play a delayed animation.. makes no sense. The option that allows tabs to be displayed in the taskbar makes the browser un-minimisable on clicking the taskbar icon.

Good to see some browser competition back. Image
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01