I want to effortlessly learn a new language.

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Re: I want to effortlessly learn a new language.

Post by jesus3 »

Snuden wrote:If you are going to Japan, Japanese is what you should learn. And what an excellent choice it is.

The Chinese are buying up businesses left and right, all over the world. For that reason it could become more valuable than Japanese, seen from a global career development point of view.

Yeah that's also what I think, it's a good thing to do for me!

I also know of that strategy, very (at first) unfavorable government led buy-ins into cooperations to have influence when needed, also infrastructural projects branded as "development help" - ultimately to lead them into dependency and debt to China. They do that in Africa, America and Europe (Italy and Balkan especially) and there are already plans to counter that from European side. Everybody is well aware of that.
Chinese won't overtake English as the top business language anytime soon.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

You might wanna learn Englisch moar — you don't put dots after topic titles :!:
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

In the vast majority of cases, titles aren't complete non-question sentences without exclamation marks. In the rare case that they are I think a period is appropriate. N'est-ce pas ?
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:I don't know about you. Perhaps you're a highly efficient person who never mindlessly procrastinates and don't have a 20-minute window to easily sacrifice, but most people aren't. I personally spend waste an hour a day just pressing F5 on this website, and an additional several hours a day on YouTube and Discord.
I can spare 20 minutes a day, sure. Anyone can. But if I did make time to learn something, I wouldn't spend it on learning a language (unless that language is mathematics). When you say effortless, you imply there is no investment. But 20 minutes a day is definitely an investment. Whether or not it's an easy one to make is irrelevant.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Learn body language, its universal ;)
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

This thing is dope. Just started learning Spanish and I feel like I'm kinda getting the hang if this weird language already
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

@XeeleeFlower I agree with Gendarme on the language learning. Unless you know the mistake, you can't fix it. Not to forget easily a language you have to be thrown into the deep and learn to swim. @Gendarme you are welcome to speak Greek with me when you feel comfortable. As for me, I am on the other side. I had reached a very good level with German, but haven't spoken for a while. Not sure if the app will help. Any ideas to help me remember my old days of glory?
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I'm in the same situation with French and Spanish, @BrookG. I think the way to go is to read and watch stuff in the language with Google Translate ready in another tab, and revisit the grammar every now and then. I'll probably do that as well soon enough.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Gendarme wrote:I'm in the same situation with French and Spanish, @BrookG. I think the way to go is to read and watch stuff in the language with Google Translate ready in another tab, and revisit the grammar every now and then. I'll probably do that as well soon enough.

Yea, I know that. Maybe I should rephrase it. I would like some recommendations on that.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Well, the ideal situation would be to find someone who speaks neither English nor Greek very well, to force you to communicate with each other in German. Other than that I think reading actual books (loudly so that you practice pronunciation as well) is key, but it is rather effortful. Less effortful is watching German TV or listening to German radio. I'll probably focus on reading good French books; I think it is incredibly fruitful even if you're too lazy to have a dictionary next to you as long as the difficulty level is suitable.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Finding the correct level of the difficulty is key.

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Yes. Having a mentor is of tremendous value. When it comes to French I have guidance, so I know precisely what I'm suppose to do. I'm not sure how hard it is otherwise. Perhaps it is easier than it seems.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Gendarme wrote:In the vast majority of cases, titles aren't complete non-question sentences without exclamation marks. In the rare case that they are I think a period is appropriate. N'est-ce pas ?

No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

@Gendarme @Pikilic @tedere12 so how did it go?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Even the best of us can get bought.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Duolingo is great, until you use the words you learned with a language snob who then proceeds to tell you that you are using them in the wrong context, there's a better word that better encapsulates what you're trying to convey, etc...then you get frustrated because it all felt pointless and foreign words begin to swim through your mind and you feel like you're drowning, and you feel like not even trying anymore, etc. @Goodspeed Yes, I'm bitter.

Lieflijk :)
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

I want to effortlessly make a million dollars, can't wait till I'm rich.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Jam wrote:I want to effortlessly make a million dollars, can't wait till I'm rich.

Don't spam nonsense in serious threads
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Jam wrote:I want to effortlessly make a million dollars, can't wait till I'm rich.

Don't spam nonsense in serious threads

It must be hard to learn a new language with sand in your teeth.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

To Java and other chad languages devs, do you have to build your own custom functions to do the most trivial tasks, like getting the count of a character in a string? That's sounds painful. There has to be package made by the community, right?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Most languages have pretty extensive standard libraries these days. As for the count of characters in a string, idk about Java but in C# that's trivial with Linq
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Original post has massive "DAE play this obscure indie gem The Witcher 3?" energy
duck
:mds:
imo
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Anyway lately I've been using Glossika for language learning. I'm not completely convinced about its efficacy: it uses a spaced repetition model which looks similar to Duolingo and makes a point to not teach any grammar rules with the argument that you'll pick them up naturally through repetition. Subjectively I've found it useful, but I still have a lot of work to do. It's also got a few mistakes that I've spotted which is really bad for a language app, it's kind of buggy, and it costs money (and isn't cheap).

What is cool about it, however, is that it's got a wide selection of languages, its learning model lets you pick pretty much any source/target language combination letting you learn multiple languages at once, and it's free for a subset of its less-spoken languages as a way of preserving those languages. The free languages include Catalan, Sorani Kurdish, Hakka, Welsh, and others. That's a huge benefit for me since I was looking for Catalan resources and found barely anything.
duck
:mds:
imo
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Learning a language is more like a lifetime commitment, rather than 20mins/day as OP thought it could be.
It has to pretty much become part of your daily routine to use that language at least as much as your native one.
And just keep going like that for years until you gradually get in the habit of thinking in that language too.
Then you're going to have issues finding your words in your native language. The lifetime struggle of multilinguals.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Djigit wrote:To Java and other chad languages devs, do you have to build your own custom functions to do the most trivial tasks, like getting the count of a character in a string? That's sounds painful. There has to be package made by the community, right?
nvm, i misread