ESOC Crypto Corner

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: ESOC Crypto Corner

Post by Goodspeed »

Half of it, the dude talks slow. Anyway I watched enough for it to be obvious he's making the point that BTC with LN could be used by banks to increase speed and lower cost in their transactions. Which is exactly what Ripple is already doing.
Watched some more of it. So he's making the point that this would defeat the purpose of BTC. Brings me back to a post I made about the LN earlier:
I don't understand how any abstraction layer on top of BTC would solve the speed and cost issues? The miners are still going to have to be the ones to process transactions and they need paid? Unless you're moving transactions off the blockchain but if you do that you've changed the whole thing. That's not simply an "abstraction layer".
Intuitively there should be some significant downsides that this article is failing to mention.
There's your "downside", I guess. I think there will be disagreement in the BTC community, as usual, about whether this is actually a downside.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

The point was the LN will naturally give rise to routing hubs which centralize the network and will end up being controlled by the banks in the end, not that it's a service for banks to reduce transacation speed and cost. His point was also that this is an effect of the Bitcoin development getting hijacked by people with malicious intentions. Seems like the Bitcoin forks may actually have been purposeful. I think it is time for me to actually read the Bitcoin whitepaper and try to fully understand it.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Right but it's not as simple as the dude says. There are valid arguments against increasing block size. But of course you prefer to look at it as a giant conspiracy.. Let me guess, the Jews are doing it.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_size_limit_controversy
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

You too are stooping down to their level? Great.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Whose?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Goodspeed wrote:If tinfoil hat non sense like that is what's preventing you from investing in a cryptocurrency with a real use case I feel bad for you.
Banks aren't going anywhere. Inter-bank transfers are a multi-trillion dollar market, and Ripple aims to improve both transaction speed and cost in that market. It does this very well. Yes it's a very different thing than Bitcoin, with entirely different goals. But the fact that it is working with regulators rather than against them actually makes me more excited for it. I just don't see widespread adoption happening for coins that are working against banks and governments. Not anytime soon anyway.
Kind of like how the space of five pages in an ESOC thread was preventing you from knowing anything (let alone everything) about economics and cryptocurrencies.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Goodspeed wrote:Right but it's not as simple as the dude says. There are valid arguments against increasing block size. But of course you prefer to look at it as a giant conspiracy.. Let me guess, the Jews are doing it.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_size_limit_controversy
Juden! :!:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Rubbing hands intensifies
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Top quality poster.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Wholesome stuff
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

zoom wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:If tinfoil hat non sense like that is what's preventing you from investing in a cryptocurrency with a real use case I feel bad for you.
Banks aren't going anywhere. Inter-bank transfers are a multi-trillion dollar market, and Ripple aims to improve both transaction speed and cost in that market. It does this very well. Yes it's a very different thing than Bitcoin, with entirely different goals. But the fact that it is working with regulators rather than against them actually makes me more excited for it. I just don't see widespread adoption happening for coins that are working against banks and governments. Not anytime soon anyway.
Kind of like how the space of five pages in an ESOC thread was preventing you from knowing anything (let alone everything) about economics and cryptocurrencies.
All just speculation in the end, but it's not hard to inform yourself if you know where to look.
You disagree with what I said or?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

With what; you knowing anything about economics and crypto-currencies? No, I just think bullying you and the contrast within this thread are both funny.

I know little of economics and practically nothing about cryptoes. I could neither agree nor disagree. Your case seems reasonable, at any rate.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Of course, zo zo never agrees or disagrees with anything, so the outcome of this is wholly unsurprising to me! Don't you agree zum zum?
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

No. Actually, I disagree. I often have clear opinions when I'm not completely ignorant. Unfortunately, such is rarely the case...
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

It is almost as if men and women are naturally different.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

I think that article is extremely sexist to claim that women aren't risk-takers. That is a huge generalization that fails to realize the fact that women are unique individuals more than they are part of an allegedly homogenous group forced upon them by society, and I frankly think it is despicable and should be condemned.

However, I won't be too polarized and agree that the article brings up a good point. Open distributed blockchains are inherently sexist and this should be brought to everyone's attention so that we can unite against the oppression and set ourselves free from the chains of the patriarchy.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

FACT women are the most powerful gender in the world.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

They give a good blowjob, thats for sure.
[Sith] - Baphomet
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

If you guys wish to wax poetic on the wonders of women, gender issues, etc, create a new thread. Please keep this discussion about cryptocurrency.

Stop baiting people @Gendarme. You know better.

Back on topic: https://www.coindesk.com/35-million-sma ... o-presale/

I have good feelings about Stellar. Along with Ripple and Etherium, it's poised to have an excellent year. Although this has me a bit concerned: http://fortune.com/2018/01/09/cryptocur ... p-lawsuit/
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

XeeleeFlower wrote:If you guys wish to wax poetic on the wonders of women, gender issues, etc, create a new thread. Please keep this discussion about cryptocurrency.

Stop baiting people @Gendarme. You know better.

Back on topic: https://www.coindesk.com/35-million-sma ... o-presale/

I have good feelings about Stellar. Along with Ripple and Etherium, it's poised to have an excellent year. Although this has me a bit concerned: http://fortune.com/2018/01/09/cryptocur ... p-lawsuit/
Have you been brainwashed by Goodspeed?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

How long does it generally take for you to be able to sell a new coin? The reason I have not looked into ICOs so far is because of the damn time commitment before it gets listed on an exchange.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Gendarme wrote:How long does it generally take for you to be able to sell a new coin? The reason I have not looked into ICOs so far is because of the damn time commitment before it gets listed on an exchange.

Read their whitepaper, they often write, when they go on exchanges.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

I meant Roadmap.
[Sith] - Baphomet