sexism and racism and humanity

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

sexism and racism and humanity

Post by deleted_user »

There are some real fucking trolls here whose sad lives have led to some awful, hateful views being propagated and, quite frankly, protected against like it's not a delusional surfacing of inadequacy.

It's sickening and I'm sick of it's propulsion, under whatever guise it's given. I've barely seen any reaction against their hateful attitude -- as if it's to be accepted or as if it's to be entertained...

I thought individuals were better than this. I won't keep visiting forums which give hateful persons a legitimate voice, however perverse, especially perverse, unbesieged.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: sexism and racism and humanity

Post by Lukas_L99 »

If you’re already calling them trolls, why are you taking them so seriously then?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I totally agree... I have recently been called a predator and a duch bag and I have been accused of doing shenanigans and exploiting people.
It's my hope that admins will put an end to this!
[Sith] - Baphomet
European Union KoenigRother
Skirmisher
ESO: Darky_soocer

Post by KoenigRother »

@deleted_user4 i am not sure what you are reffering to, could you give specific examples of what is not acceptable for you? Although I recognize a few very active examples beeing atrocious and there is active resistance in this Forum against them. This Forum has proven to be very liberal after all in almost any poll
notoric treehugger
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

deleted_user wrote:There are some real fucking trolls here whose sad lives have led to some awful, hateful views being propagated and, quite frankly, protected against like it's not a delusional surfacing of inadequacy.

It's sickening and I'm sick of it's propulsion, under whatever guise it's given. I've barely seen any reaction against their hateful attitude -- as if it's to be accepted or as if it's to be entertained...

I thought individuals were better than this. I won't keep visiting forums which give hateful persons a legitimate voice, however perverse, especially perverse, unbesieged.

While I do agree if I understood it correctly, you should've gone to sleep instead of having an outburst about it. Especially on forums you should just ignore it since there's the anonymity of the internet adding to it.
In general you're not gonna change hateful people's views by insulting them or their views, it has the opposite effect, they will feel their points proven and feel victimised. If it's trolls, it's completely useless and you're just giving the o-so-funny response they were waiting for.

Empathy and commonsense are not especially trendy these days, neither is real discussion with profound arguments. Everything gets pulled out of context and fired back to you in the most confusing, nonsensical way possible. In the end it's all about attention and feeling superior and indeed, it's frustrating and there I agree.
No Flag stronk
Skirmisher

Post by stronk »

When you troll its funny. When others troll you act like you got a giant tree stuck in your ass
give that guy a manual
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

jesus3 wrote:
deleted_user wrote:There are some real fucking trolls here whose sad lives have led to some awful, hateful views being propagated and, quite frankly, protected against like it's not a delusional surfacing of inadequacy.

While I do agree if I understood it correctly, you should've gone to sleep instead of having an outburst about it. Especially on forums you should just ignore it since there's the anonymity of the internet adding to it.
In general you're not gonna change hateful people's views by insulting them or their views, it has the opposite effect, they will feel their points proven and feel victimised. If it's trolls, it's completely useless and you're just giving the o-so-funny response they were waiting for.

Empathy and commonsense are not especially trendy these days, neither is real discussion with profound arguments. Everything gets pulled out of context and fired back to you in the most confusing, nonsensical way possible. In the end it's all about attention and feeling superior and indeed, it's frustrating and there I agree.

nah, it's fine to respond. trolls don't exist because they're fed but because they're given shelter. and that shelter consists as much of anonymity as of indifference or lack of empathy by bystanders. (however you want to call it). if you simply remove trolls from your community, they would quickly stop doing it. even trolls don't think its funny to be alone.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yeah I see no problem with speaking out against a problem I perceive very really exists. Half the time I make posts here only to be a voice of reason. I like AoE3; I like ESOC. I don't want it overrun. I want to keep coming -- but that's becoming much harder to do.

If people think differently then that's ok too. I just want to say something. I felt too bad being so silent.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:It's sickening and I'm sick of it's propulsion, under whatever guise it's given. I've barely seen any reaction against their hateful attitude -- as if it's to be accepted or as if it's to be entertained...
There has been reaction. A lot of us have given up, I think. I for one simply don't have the energy or the time to get into it again, especially knowing how jaded some of these people's worldviews are. It's not rewarding or interesting to argue against. But rest assured I don't think people actually agree with it. You know, a vocal minority and all that.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

So because some people have a different view on things than you do, they lead a sad life? If so, how do you reach that conclusion?

On a different but somehow related note. I got two notifications that you had quoted me, yet when I click on either notification, no posts are showing xD
This could be either you deleting them, or an admin wanting to save you from total embarrassment. Whatever the reason might be, I think it's a safe bet to say that you didn't exactly agree with whatever you quoted.

I will even go as far as to say that you might even wrote the EXACT thing that you accuse others of writing.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's a person wanting to save me from embarrassment.

I've put my lot out there. I have little motivation to expound upon it. It just needed to be said -- I just needed to say it. I'm glad I've said it.

But yes, you're one of the people I feel who hold antiquated and harmful beliefs against fellow human souls, beliefs which are found too readily and uncontested across various boards, and which hurt to read so very much.

It's not so much a difference in belief but a lack of basic benevolence I find baffling.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

And that's your view on things, I have a different view.
I fail to see how my views are harmful and I fail to see, why you think I have a sad life.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Skirmisher

Post by KoenigRother »

sircallen is not embarrassing himself by saying what many here think @Snuden
notoric treehugger
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Can anyone give examples of those "awful, hateful views being propagated"?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

So you don't think it is embarrassing to come off as very liberal, yet not accepting other peoples beliefs if they are different from your own?
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag dave_12
Skirmisher

Post by dave_12 »

:hmm: I don't rly understand the problem
Skirmisher

Post by KoenigRother »

racism or sexism are not acceptable... or do you think it is acceptable? @Snuden
notoric treehugger
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Sadly, it's not just this forum. Overall, people have become more jaded in recent years. On both sides, actually. Primarily on the one side though, because that one is losing ground, feels backed into a corner. Trump being elected president is one thing that shows it. The alt-right movement is the desperate cry of conservatives who throughout the decades, no matter how many republicans they elect, are seeing liberal ideas implemented everywhere. Trump is the embodiment of that desperation.

More generally, the internet, anti-intellectualism and various other aspects of our modern but in many ways backwards society amplify the worst in humans: Bias, inability to put things into perspective, apathy, etcetera. The result is that those of us who are impressionable get more and more entrenched. Because of the wonders of the internet they will always find data that, in their view, validates their beliefs and they will always find others who agree with them.

Your frustration is understandable Callen, and I know it's hard to ignore the problem but it isn't yours to fix and therefore not yours to worry about.
If only it were that simple, right? Honestly, to me it is. At this point anyway.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

KoenigRother wrote:racism or sexism are not acceptable... or do you think it is acceptable? @Snuden

Depends on how you interpret both.

I am a firm believer in the more traditional gender/sex roles. An example is that I expect the woman in a relationship to take care of certain things such as cooking and certain aspects of comforting a crying child.

Before you jump to any conclusions... I am NOT saying I never comforted my children, when they were babies and I also did my share of feeding them in the middle of the night.

About racism, some of the nicest people I have met was in Jordan and Iraq, them being Muslim.
But at the same time it makes me sad to see that my children wont experience the same traditional Danish values as I did, when I was a child their age. Some of the reasons being that we have to be SO accommodating to Muslims that we totally forget our own identity and traditional values.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Skirmisher

Post by KoenigRother »

in germany we call the point i was about to prove "verfassungsimmanente schranke" - the limits of your personal rights, but i guess i am embarrassing myself now by stating and debating the obvious :(

that is totally fine to say and i encourage you to state your oppinions! @Snuden
notoric treehugger
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Snuden
What does it mean, in your case, to be a firm believer in more traditional gender roles? I have to ask, because it can mean wildly different things depending on who you ask.
Would you discourage your daughter from going to school, rather encourage her to find a "good man" (meaning one who makes good money) and settle down? Do you believe school for women should be learning how to cook and take care of a child instead of maths and biology?
Or is it simply your preference in women, not something you would want to see implemented in society as a whole?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

I strongly encourage both my daughters to pursue any dream they have and to live their life as they wish. If that means they will find a "good man" i will support that.
If it means they will choose a new gender everyday they wake up, I will support that too, I will disagree on their choice, but I will support them.

I don't care how the rest of society live their lives, as long as I can live the way that I wish.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Goodspeed wrote:Sadly, it's not just this forum. Overall, people have become more jaded in recent years. On both sides, actually. Primarily on the one side though, because that one is losing ground, feels backed into a corner. Trump being elected president is one thing that shows it. The alt-right movement is the desperate cry of conservatives who throughout the decades, no matter how many republicans they elect, are seeing liberal ideas implemented everywhere. Trump is the embodiment of that desperation.

This. It turns out that whenever you got an extremism situation, the future generation will be impacted and will try to do the opposite. WW2 in 1945, the next generation is peace and love in 60s/70s. Same apply for liberal ideas. We have seen far too much liberalism promoting no borders, no traditions, no identity culture, no gender, no authority. And it ends up this generation of 20 years old people is more conservative than the previous ones because the liberalism was just extremism.

What makes me feel sad though, is that overall the discussion is not always possible between the 2 sides.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

kami_ryu wrote:... Kind of like a "no you're wrong can you please catch up with the world" sort of way of thinking.

But of course THEY are wrong and you are not!
[Sith] - Baphomet