Star Wars 8

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Star Wars 8

Post by Laurence Drake »

What do people think? Lots of nerdrage about the film on the internet but I personally thought it was great. Really refreshing after the staleness of Rogue One.
Top quality poster.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: Star Wars 8

Post by deleted_user »

It was good not great. I have my complaints.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

Star Wars 8 was better than I expected. (Star Trek is still better :lol: )
ImageImageImage
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

I was disappointed in the lack of Snoke back-story (unless he isn't dead), light-speed-jump-as-a-weapon scene had a great shot in it- can't help feeling that Kylo Ren just isn't a bad enough baddie- otherwise still enjoyed.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

I guess that was the point, Snoke isn't supposed to be a big villain with a major back story. The film takes a lot of the unexplained plot elements from TFA and wipes them away. It plays with your conceptions about what a Star Wars story is meant to be. It's a clean slate.
Top quality poster.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

Was a bit silly that princess Leia survived...
ImageImageImage
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Can't be any worse than VII
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Laurence Drake wrote:I guess that was the point, Snoke isn't supposed to be a big villain with a major back story. The film takes a lot of the unexplained plot elements from TFA and wipes them away. It plays with your conceptions about what a Star Wars story is meant to be. It's a clean slate.

Except did it? Everytime they had a chance to get rid of the old good vs evil/black and white nature of Star Wars they just didn't. Kylo mid sentence contradicted himself just after he killed Snoke. Lots of poor narrative choices made. Still a decent film but didn't do a lot to better the franchise.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Laurence Drake wrote:The film takes a lot of the unexplained plot elements from TFA and wipes them away.

Or just abdicates any sense of narrative arc? :P
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

wardyb1 wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:I guess that was the point, Snoke isn't supposed to be a big villain with a major back story. The film takes a lot of the unexplained plot elements from TFA and wipes them away. It plays with your conceptions about what a Star Wars story is meant to be. It's a clean slate.

Except did it? Everytime they had a chance to get rid of the old good vs evil/black and white nature of Star Wars they just didn't. Kylo mid sentence contradicted himself just after he killed Snoke. Lots of poor narrative choices made. Still a decent film but didn't do a lot to better the franchise.

Good and evil is still there, but not black and white, I'd say this film blurred the lines more than the previous ones.

oats13 wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:The film takes a lot of the unexplained plot elements from TFA and wipes them away.

Or just abdicates any sense of narrative arc? :P

There's still narrative arc, it's just not the traditional one that we're used to seeing.
Top quality poster.
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

[spoiler=spoilers obviously]During the luke salt flats scene I was initially confused and thought the production made a mistake because luke was carrying the blue anakin saber. At this point in the movie rey had already brought it with her to snoke and stretched it apart with ren. Luke should have had his green saber at that point but then when it was revealed he was a force illusion it made more sense as it could be whatever saber the plot wanted, but I still thought it was an odd choice to go with blue as opposed to the saber he used after losing his hand, which was the green one.[/spoiler]
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I wasn't planning to watch it because the last few movies have made me lose interest in the franchise, but the critical response might end up changing my mind. Seems it's more than just a bunch of fan service this time.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Lol I stopped at the Sith part, never was a hardcore fan. I'd say the whole franchise for me is on one line with other movies I found quite enjoyable for the moment but didn't think much about them after. I don't get the hype at all (although I have to admit I don't really feel the hype that much, probably bc I don't watch TV). Is it even worth to catch up with the saga?
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

luke shouldn't be such a coward, just escape, dodge.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

You don't really have to be caught up with the saga to enjoy this film, although having background knowledge definitely makes it more entertaining (or less, if you're one of the raging fanboys).

4.7 user score on metacritic, lmao...
Top quality poster.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Disney. Its more like a cartoon than a movie.
Good timing with Christmas they can sell toys also with it. If more money comes who cares about making an adult entertaining movie? Right?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Being a hardcore fan I cant wait to watch it!
My favorite character is obviously Darth Vader. ^_^
[Sith] - Baphomet
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

It sucks so hard
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Spoilers ahead:

Did anyone else feel like the lightspeed attack was a huge plot hole? Cinematic? Very. Consistent with the universe? No, not at all. Why not strap hyperdrives on scrap metal and use them as insanely effective missles? Also did the flag ship not have an autopilot feature? Why did literally one person have to stay behind to "pilot" it? Ugh. Just one of many.

I hate the trend of big budget mass appeal movies trying to shoe horn in as many quirky comedic relief jokes and cute animals as possible to make the children laugh and buy toys. In the OT Han and C3p0 and the Luke/R2 dynamic was all the humor needed. It was well placed, spaced, and delivered. In the new films is predictable, juvenile humor -- like Marvel movies, not a fan, but at least those have comedic comic book beginnings. Ewoks were cute but ferocious and passion-filled indigenous peoples defending their home land. In Star Wars 8 cute is for cute only, to elicit the coveted theater "awwws."

I'm extremely disappointed how they wrote Luke. Are you telling me Luke has spent 20 years secluded on an island to renounce the Jedi religion without even reading their original, sacred texts (lol reading is borrrrinngggg amarite patrons)? Cmon, Disney... he sounds and acts like an upset toddler not a broken, powerful, pondered Jedi master...

The immature shtick worked for Yoda who was toying with an oblivious and brash Luke in Dagobah -- but it doesn't work here. It feels shoe-horned, like I said, to make it a light and fun family Christmas movie. They literally ruined Luke.

All I could think about when wayching the red guards in snoke's throne room with their weird weapons was that it was all specifically designed to excite little boys to buy cool toys.

Where are the suspenseful, quiet, mano y mano, dark philosophy vs light philosophy, passion vs constraint Jedi vs Sith battles? Beings of paranatural power, above any other -- connected to a force which connects all life, wielding it from opposite doctrines, the very manifestations of good and evil, locked in concentrated conflict.. the suspense oh the suspense!! Where has it gone?

I've always loved Star Wars since I was a kid -- perhaps because I was a kid. I've always given it the benefit of the doubt in that regard. The OT hero's journey was typical but masterful. The Star Wars universe is something special. The Disney movies, perhaps even more than the prequels, have managed to lose that something.

But it's still Star Wars and I got goosebumps when the little boy force grabbed the broom and stood staring at the galaxy and all its expanse at the end and I could allow myself to feel again for a moment how I used to feel when watching Star Wars.

I'll forever love the various books in the now non cannon EU. They do such a terrific job bringing the wonders of the universe to near tangible life.

It's a shame. The franchise came from honest and genuine roots then became such a cash cow it can't have personality, grit anymore.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Like Callen, I found the movie mostly disappointing. The plot was overly convenient, full of holes, and poorly written—especially in the first half of the movie. Much of what was taking place or being said just felt so out of place and sometimes so jarring that I was never able to truly immerse myself in the film. I felt like the whole arc where Finn and Rose were able to just conveniently slip away from the fleet and then conveniently return unnoticed was especially out of place and strange.

If you manage to look past the story I suppose there's some merit in how the movie tried to differentiate itself from the rest of the series. Good and evil seemed less apparent than in previous films; there is more of a grey area where the characters struggled against both. I'm too lazy to expand on this right now though. :P
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

deleted_user wrote:Spoilers ahead:

Did anyone else feel like the lightspeed attack was a huge plot hole? Cinematic? Very. Consistent with the universe? No, not at all. Why not strap hyperdrives on scrap metal and use them as insanely effective missles? Also did the flag ship not have an autopilot feature? Why did literally one person have to stay behind to "pilot" it? Ugh. Just one of many.

I thought this at first too, then I saw it again and here's my opinion.... Snoke's ship isn't even destroyed. It is just disabled. So basically the resistance traded their biggest, baddest ship to disable the enemy? Bad trade. Imagine if that thing shot at the death star. It would probably dent the surface and no one would even now about it except the clones that got whacked,

deleted_user wrote:The immature shtick worked for Yoda who was toying with an oblivious and brash Luke in Dagobah -- but it doesn't work here. It feels shoe-horned, like I said, to make it a light and fun family Christmas movie. They literally ruined Luke.
personally this was one of my favorite parts in the movie along with R2 playing the original ANH tape from Leia.

I came out of the movie the first showing not sure what to think, but the second time solidified it as a classic to me. It sets up the showdown between Rey and Kylo Ben as something that none of the other trilogies have had, no conflict good vs evil.
mad cuz bad
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Agree with Noel. Imho this film is up there with the OT. Definitely better than episode 7.
Top quality poster.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Didn't like the movie. May be I am one of those raging fans, but I agree with Sir Callen, the movie has a very blurry plot and a lot of useless scenes and heroes. Let's add a cute animal to sell toys! No, let's add 3 cute animals! Let's add caricature money bags and poor children straight from the communist posters! How about we add slow motion? How about we add flights in space without spacesuits?

Let's make a politically correct movie! Let's make every single woman in the movie strong and independent to make feminists happy! Let's make a black man and a fat asian girl the main heroes of the movie!

If 9 out of 10 spaceships are destroyed, the heroes are on the one that survived. If 13 space bikes attack and 3 of them are driven by important heroes, 10 other bikes go down. The main villian sees and controls the thoughts of the jedi, but can't realise that there is a lightsaber next to him.

The last part takes about 40 minutes of the movie while it is completely unnecessary. When it started, I was like "Hey, where is the ending? Is this all going to start over again?". And yeah, they destroy the fucking deathstar again... For the 4th time.

I liked Rogue 1 a lot, the scene where the main heroes kiss and die to armageddon already makes it a great movie. But part 8 is not my cup of tea honestly.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Ist interesting thats Lots kg People who liked roque One didnt like the Main movies and Vice versa
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

I didnt like neither... I mean i watched the rogue one (maybe watch it again some time since i dont really remember) but that was also a cartoon. Sorry for those who liked it but that was the same: Main charachters come bumm bumm like in Bud Spencer movies and every opponents go down. No matter if they havent got even any power. They also making jokes in the combat. It doesnt matter if their life is "threatened" they like it. Its everything but not realistic. Its for the kids also. Works well next to the Tom and Jerry stuffs.