Mark Meechan the Scottish man who taught his girlfriends pug to perform a Nazi salute to annoy her is facing his final t

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Mark Meechan the Scottish man who taught his girlfriends pug to perform a Nazi salute to annoy her is facing his final t

Post by InsectPoison »

I think its disgraceful how far this country has fallen that we are prosecuting someone for something as stupid as this and is a massive attack on this countries free speech, i think its a big waste of time.

Here is the original video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu47muw--A4

He basically taught his dog to do a nazi salute when he says "seig heil" and to get exited when he utters the words "gas the jews"

Someone makes a joke and everyone starts getting offended , honestly think some people enjoy being offended, the guy even said that he wanted to teach the dog to do the worst thing possible so clearly he isn't a nazi sympathiser

What does ESOC think about this, should this man be prosecuted for this or not?
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Re: Mark Meechan the Scottish man who taught his girlfriends pug to perform a Nazi salute to annoy her is facing his fin

Post by KINGofOsmane »

who cares ?!
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Re: Mark Meechan the Scottish man who taught his girlfriends pug to perform a Nazi salute to annoy her is facing his fin

Post by j_t_kirk »

Hmm. It is just a joke. I don't see the problem.
ImageImageImage
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

j_t_kirk wrote:Hmm. It is just a joke. I don't see the problem.

Exactly, but he is due in court and could possible be sent to prison over this.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Well if he did nothing illegal then he'll probably be fine
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Well if he did nothing illegal then he'll probably be fine
exactly, that's what people don't seem to understand. They want to do illegal stuff and think they can get away with it
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Not sure about British law but in most European countries it's illegal to do the nazi salute for obvious reasons. I'm unsure whether this applies to pets as well, that'd be up to the judge to decide. I would say this is a winnable case for the proscecutor since the man taught the dog an illegal act. If you teach your raven to steal jewelry then you're also breaking the law.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

"Not sure about British law but in most European countries it's illegal to do the nazi salute for obvious reasons." I'm sorry but what are those obvious reasons? it is obviously not right but then nor is adultery and that isn't illegal.

It is not obvious at all why it should be illegal- people are free to avoid this man, not give him a job, regard him as an idiot etc. but why should he go to jail? pr obvious who the real fascists are nowadays.............. hate crime = thought crime, welcome to the new tyranny, get used to it IMO.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
European Union Theodore
Skirmisher

Post by Theodore »

Here is some information about the UK legislation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_the_United_Kingdom

This is a clash of different philosophies regarding free speech. Some jurisdictions tend to have a rather broad understanding of what is protected by free speech (U.S.A.) other tend to have a more limited scope. Still, all "Western" countries agree that free speech is to be protected and all agree that some forms of speech interefere too much with the rights of others (it is almost always illegal to insult sb).
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

oats13 wrote:"Not sure about British law but in most European countries it's illegal to do the nazi salute for obvious reasons." I'm sorry but what are those obvious reasons? it is obviously not right but then nor is adultery and that isn't illegal.

It is not obvious at all why it should be illegal- people are free to avoid this man, not give him a job, regard him as an idiot etc. but why should he go to jail? pr obvious who the real fascists are nowadays.............. hate crime = thought crime, welcome to the new tyranny, get used to it IMO.

Alright I'm used to it, feels okay to me
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

oats13 wrote:people are free to avoid this man, not give him a job, regard him as an idiot etc.
Not necessarily, as there are anti-discrimination laws as well. :uglylol:
Pay more attention to detail.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

yeah, like one can wish death to certain forum members and that's perfectly ok, it's just a prank
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

pecelot wrote:yeah, like one can wish death to certain forum members and that's perfectly ok, it's just a prank

What are you getting at?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

oats13 wrote:"Not sure about British law but in most European countries it's illegal to do the nazi salute for obvious reasons." I'm sorry but what are those obvious reasons? it is obviously not right but then nor is adultery and that isn't illegal.
if adultery was reasonable for mass genocide and world War I think it would probably be illegal......
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Gendarme wrote:
oats13 wrote:people are free to avoid this man, not give him a job, regard him as an idiot etc.

Well the job thing maybe, but in reality you would just make up some BS reason for not giving the job. The point is - should this be a judicial matter or a personal moral one such as with adultery?

IMO society (and indeed you-tube) can make it's judgement on this individual in sufficient a way as to be considered as redress, and that the law need not be applied for.

When the law actively presumes to take the moral imperative away from society and arrogate to itself the right to decide what is and isn't offensive, when that is 'likely' to be caused etc. when it deals sentences far in excess of those given out when property or the physical body has been harmed then that aught to raise eyebrows among all free-thinking people IMO.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

gibson wrote:
if adultery was reasonable for mass genocide and world War I think it would probably be illegal......

logical fallacy-false equivalence, it wasn't dogs giving salutes or even the salutes that caused the genocide and you surely mean WW2?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

@oats13 Free speech is not a disguise for hate speech and nor should it be. Whether this man is in line with nazi ideas or not is irrelevant to the case of hate speech. Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated for the sake of tolerance, as this will inevitably lead to violence - the core of fascism. The obvious reasons, in my opinion, are the fact that ~7-8 million people were murdered in the name of nazism, which should not be the subject of any jokes. We should learn from the mistakes of the past, not glorify them. We saw what happened in Charlottesville when hate speech is tolerated. Nazis were permitted to march and preach, but the result was not more freedom. Instead, the march ended in horrific violence and one death. Letting nazis exercise their free speech didn't allow democracy and free speech to flourish: instead, it silenced one person forever.

Society cannot make a collective judgment. That's why there are laws and judges in place to protect us from danger.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

oats13 wrote:
Gendarme wrote:

Well the job thing maybe, but in reality you would just make up some BS reason for not giving the job. The point is - should this be a judicial matter or a personal moral one such as with adultery?

IMO society (and indeed you-tube) can make it's judgement on this individual in sufficient a way as to be considered as redress, and that the law need not be applied for.

When the law actively presumes to take the moral imperative away from society and arrogate to itself the right to decide what is and isn't offensive, when that is 'likely' to be caused etc. and to deal sentences far in excess of those given out when property or the physical body has been harmed aught to raise eyebrows among all free-thinking people IMO.
You are correct. I simply meant to ridicule the whole anti-hate-speech and anti-discrimination thing, notwithstanding the fact that it is far more depressing than amusing. It is the best I can do at the moment.
Pay more attention to detail.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:@oats13 Free speech is not a disguise for hate speech and nor should it be. Whether this man is in line with nazi ideas or not is irrelevant to the case of hate speech. Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated for the sake of tolerance, as this will inevitably lead to violence - the core of fascism. The obvious reasons, in my opinion, are the fact that ~7-8 million people were murdered in the name of nazism, which should not be the subject of any jokes. We should learn from the mistakes of the past, not glorify them. We saw what happened in Charlottesville when hate speech is tolerated. Nazis were permitted to march and preach, but the result was not more freedom. Instead, the march ended in horrific violence and one death. Letting nazis exercise their free speech didn't allow democracy and free speech to flourish: instead, it silenced one person forever.

Society cannot make a collective judgment. That's why there are laws and judges in place to protect us from danger.

In Britain we were singing 'Hitler has only got one ball' before the war was even over- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1DWJQkOJew lose your sense of humour at your own expense......... not mine- it's a DOG FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Nazis were beaten 82 years ago and are mostly dead, I'd advise quit the conspiracy theories and dope paranoia.
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Gendarme wrote:
oats13 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

When the law actively presumes to take the moral imperative away from society and arrogate to itself the right to decide what is and isn't offensive, when that is 'likely' to be caused etc. and to deal sentences far in excess of those given out when property or the physical body has been harmed aught to raise eyebrows among all free-thinking people IMO.
You are correct. I simply meant to ridicule the whole anti-hate-speech and anti-discrimination thing, notwithstanding the fact that it is far more depressing than amusing. It is the best I can do at the moment.

Ah I get it- you'd probably like this then- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ytJG8X6obk
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Free speech is not a disguise for hate speech and nor should it be. Whether this man is in line with nazi ideas or not is irrelevant to the case of hate speech. Hate speech shouldn't be tolerated for the sake of tolerance, as this will inevitably lead to violence - the core of fascism. The obvious reasons, in my opinion, are the fact that ~7-8 million people were murdered in the name of nazism, which should not be the subject of any jokes. We should learn from the mistakes of the past, not glorify them. We saw what happened in Charlottesville when hate speech is tolerated. Nazis were permitted to march and preach, but the result was not more freedom. Instead, the march ended in horrific violence and one death. Letting nazis exercise their free speech didn't allow democracy and free speech to flourish: instead, it silenced one person forever.

What exactly is "hate speech"?
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Borat would like that dog

...on a more serious note, the original post plus oats' emotional responses make it seem like it's a big thing, a groundbreaking case study for the oh so degenerating world, which is just a big overexaggeration. If it's an illegal act in that country and the judge decides it is, even if the line seems quite blurry (the line from radicalism to extremism is an issue in political science since basically forever by the way), then he indeed committed a crime.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

oats13 wrote:
gibson wrote:

logical fallacy-false equivalence, it wasn't dogs giving salutes or even the salutes that caused the genocide and you surely mean WW2?

I just said world war.....the I was an i lol, and I was pointing out your false equivalence of equivocating nazism to adultery.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I personally think it's bad taste.
[Sith] - Baphomet