Locking posts because someone disagrees.

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Locking posts because someone disagrees.

Post by Dolan »

@fightinfrenchman
But many American cops are black and occasionally arrest/shoot black offenders too. Is that racist or not?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Dolan wrote:@fightinfrenchman
But many American cops are black and occasionally arrest/shoot black offenders too. Is that racist or not?

1.) I should not have generalized, I know not all cops are racist, though in many cases the system has perverse incentives that exacerbate the issue of racism.

2.) It can be, depending on the situation.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Almost undoubtedly this would never even go to air in Britain and if someone did it privately they would be so consistently hounded and accused of racism by most media outlets (including the B.B.C) that they would probably lose their job and almost all reported opinion would regard this as a good thing. This is my opinion of what would happen.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

oats13 wrote:Almost undoubtedly this would never even go to air in Britain and if someone did it privately they would be so consistently hounded and accused of racism by most media outlets (including the B.B.C) that they would probably lose their job and almost all reported opinion would regard this as a good thing. This is my opinion of what would happen.

It's too bad British television is missing out on this hilarious joke
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Indeed- we have to put up with shit like Monty Python, Morecombe and Wise, Only Fools and Horses and Tommy Cooper when we could be rolling in the aisles at this.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

The reason they did the blackface thing is probably cos there are so few actual black people in japan
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

It was just a random link, sheesh, I didn't have time to check the site down to IANA records.

Here, other random links, take your pick:

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/01/03/j ... ntroversy/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/04/worl ... kface.html

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/03/japanese- ... e-7201682/

https://kotaku.com/japanese-tv-rings-in ... 1821732159

PS. Meantime you edited your post.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

InsectPoison wrote:The reason they did the blackface thing is probably cos there are so few actual black people in japan

Same situation in Romania. So you're saying it's impossible for Romanians to make such a comedy sketch and be considered racist.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Dolan wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:The reason they did the blackface thing is probably cos there are so few actual black people in japan

Same situation in Romania. So you're saying it's impossible for Romanians to make such a comedy sketch and be considered racist.

Wait , why has the conversation shifted to racism, i'm confused?
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Dolan wrote:PS. Meantime you edited your post.

I deleted the previous post because i realised it was regarding the video in the article and not just a political piece.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, I'm curious why usually such a comedy sketch would be judged as insensitive and racist in a Western country, but it's considered just funny in Japan. And nobody's making a huge scandal about how racist Japan is.

Why the double standards?

Or maybe this is not even about racism, racism is not even a significant theme in the Japanese culture. It's just that they are treating anthropological/physical difference at face value, for what it is, in the old naive way that was prevalent when cultures were still isolated from each other.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Dolan wrote:Well, I'm curious why usually such a comedy sketch would be judged as insensitive and racist in a Western country, but it's considered just funny in Japan. And nobody's making a huge scandal about how racist Japan is.

I think it's because Western countries were the ones enslaving black people for centuries so naturally people may believe it is of bad taste for jokes like this.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:Well, I'm curious why usually such a comedy sketch would be judged as insensitive and racist in a Western country, but it's considered just funny in Japan. And nobody's making a huge scandal about how racist Japan is.

Or maybe this is not even about racism, racism is not even a significant theme in the Japanese culture. It's just that they are treating anthropological/physical difference at face value, for what it is, in the old naive way that was prevalent when cultures were still isolated from each other.

1.) It's called nuance, blackface is treated differently in each country

2.) Japan is super racist and I do think it's a problem
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

InsectPoison wrote:

I think it's because Western countries were the ones enslaving black people for centuries so naturally people may believe it is of bad taste for jokes like this.

Not denying the fact that Western countries enslaved Black people, but 'the ones' is not totally appropriate. Do not forget that the Arabs enslaved a lot (some would say in worse extent than Western countries) Black people : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Romania didn't enslave anyone, does that mean we're the good goys? :kinggreen:
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Rikikipu wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:

Not denying the fact that Western countries enslaved Black people, but 'the ones' is not totally appropriate. Do not forget that the Arabs enslaved a lot (some would say in worse extent than Western countries) Black people : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

Wikipedia says that 12 million africans were transported to the Americas in the atlantic slave trade and more were bought due to lots of deaths occurring on the way there whereas only 5 million African slaves in the arab slave trade. Ignoring this, how is the Arab slave trade even relevant to the topic we are on? we are discussing why the video shared by Dolan wouldn't be accepted in the western world not who slaved the most people.....
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Black people, Mexicans and Asians!
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Dolan wrote:Romania didn't enslave anyone, does that mean we're the good goys? :kinggreen:
♪Romania, Romaaaaaaaaaaania...♫

It might have, if it weren't for two individuals.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Dolan wrote:Romania didn't enslave anyone, does that mean we're the good goys? :kinggreen:

If you stopped exporting gypsies then maybe
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, India exported them first to Europe, and they just refused to integrate. They consider part of their culture to live a semi-nomadic lifestyle, at the periphery of modern society, on whatever means (stealing, welfare, swindling).
We gave them free education, housing, health care, jobs, but they refuse to integrate.

Probably, in their mindset, they think integration = assimilation, ie destruction of their traditional culture.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

InsectPoison wrote:
Rikikipu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Wikipedia says that 12 million africans were transported to the Americas in the atlantic slave trade and more were bought due to lots of deaths occurring on the way there whereas only 5 million African slaves in the arab slave trade. Ignoring this, how is the Arab slave trade even relevant to the topic we are on? we are discussing why the video shared by Dolan wouldn't be accepted in the western world not who slaved the most people.....

Calm, I was just saying that using 'western countries were the ones who enslaved Black people' was not totally true since the Arab slave trade was substantial in the history too.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Rikikipu wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Calm, I was just saying that using 'western countries were the ones who enslaved Black people' was not totally true since the Arab slave trade was substantial in the history too.

Yes i know what you said, what i'm telling you is that the conversation had nothing to do with arab slave trade yet you brought it up anyway for no reason. Dolan said if it would be racist to do this in a western country and i said it would be of bad taste due to the past. We were never talking about the Arabs. Using whataboutism as a rebuttle is poor.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

Nevermind it's not about using whataboutism, I was just saying that your sentence 'western countries are THE ones who enslaved black people' is not totally true since they weren't the only ones.
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Rikikipu wrote:Nevermind it's not about using whataboutism, I was just saying that your sentence 'western countries are THE ones who enslaved black people' is not totally true since they weren't the only ones.

I said that in the context of comments with Dolan, I never said Westerners were the only ones who enslaved black people.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

InsectPoison wrote:
Rikikipu wrote:Nevermind it's not about using whataboutism, I was just saying that your sentence 'western countries are THE ones who enslaved black people' is not totally true since they weren't the only ones.

I said that in the context of comments with Dolan, I never said Westerners were the only ones who enslaved black people.

Alright it was just in case of misunderstanding, sorry if I'm bad english wasn't able to explain that.