Linux is everywhere, what you waiting ?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Linux is everywhere, what you waiting ?

Post by Rikikipu »

Hello guys, today I would like to talk to you about another Operating System called Linux !
Most of you know Windows, some fancy people may also have a Mac, but I bet not a lot of you know Linux :P

I'm going to make some shortcut in order to sum up well my ideas, but some points may not be totally accurate.
So Linux was made by Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman and was released for the first time in 1991. The philosophy behind it, is to have an Operating System which is Opensource. It means that everyone can have it for free, and have the access of the sourcecode.

"All right but why is it everywhere, I don't see anything or anyone using Linux :hmm: "
I bet what you have currently in your hand when reading these lines is using Linux. Android yes ! Android is a Linux distribution for mobile phones !
phpBB [video]

What you need to know is that the world wouldn't be the same without Linux. I'm not joking. Why the internet is so free (except the money that you pay to you isp ? Because kinda all servers in the world uses Linux which is free, so you don't need to pay when you go to esoc.
To sum up, why would you move to Linux ?
- Because you don't pay 100€ your OS
- Because Linux doesn't spy you like Microsoft does (see PRISM program and the Snowden case)
- Because it is highly customisable
- Because some Linux distribution are really easy to use, even for noobs.
- Because it is elegant
- Because in 2018, some major games are now avalaible on Linux, because you can emulate indows games thanks to Wine, and overall because cloud gaming is probably the future. So the gaming part is not a big issue anymore.

I hope to see more people moving to Linux. It's also a political choice which say 'no' to capitalism and private softwares and just say that the world is better if everyone shared aknowledgment for free. Ask me anything if you are interested !
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Linix is everywhere, what you waiting ?

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Some major games may be available for it, but PC gaming is cumbersome enough as is. Being forced to emulate Windows would only add to that issue. Most people are not willing to spend a lot of time tinkering with things to get them to work.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Depends, can I Java?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

horrible
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I use Ubuntu on the server and it's great for that.

Haven't tried it on desktop yet, though the lack of productivity software kinda puts me off. I use lots of programs that aren't available on Linux.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Maybe when they make linux easier to use. From my experience, linux is just a pain in the ass for everyday stuff. Also changing habits is actually painful. But maybe recent linux distributions are fine idk
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

The most annoying thing is that editing software with the exception of GIMP is just shit. Perhaps I haven't searched well enough, but if good video editors exist I can't fucking find them at least.
Pay more attention to detail.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Android... Open source... What kind of idealism is that?
<Posted from my iPhone>
[Sith] - Baphomet
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Matrix is everywhere, what're you waiting for?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It doesn't even have visual studio...
Linux is great for servers, great for hackers and it has plenty of other use cases but it's less great for your average desktop user.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:It doesn't even have visual studio...
Linux is great for servers, great for hackers and it has plenty of other use cases but it's less great for your average desktop user.

If we're really considering the "average" desktop user I would say 97% of them would be okay with using Chrome OS
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Maybe but windows is what they're used to, what they use at work, etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:Maybe but windows is what they're used to, what they use at work, etc.

Well they're likely already used to using Chrome as web browser, and most people probably get confused/annoyed by all the random shit Windows throws at them constantly
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

The reality is that most support comes after utility, even if the development of the utility would be greatly accelerated with increasing support. It already has enough utility for you because you value privacy and security much more than others. The current GNU-community should perhaps spend more effort into developing the applications that are attractive to the average Joes rather than trying to convince them that Microsoft is evil (although you can certainly do both simultaneously).
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

Kaiserklein wrote:Maybe when they make linux easier to use. From my experience, linux is just a pain in the ass for everyday stuff. Also changing habits is actually painful. But maybe recent linux distributions are fine idk

I think it is more about changing habits because distributions like Ubuntu are really done and made for noobs.

Dolan wrote:I use Ubuntu on the server and it's great for that.

Haven't tried it on desktop yet, though the lack of productivity software kinda puts me off. I use lots of programs that aren't available on Linux.

Just curious, what kind of software you use in Windows which is not available on Linux ?

Goodspeed wrote:It doesn't even have visual studio...

That is my point, I would like to cope with this bias :
1) You don't need to find a software on google, you got an appstore.
2) You pay 100 euros less your computer and also don't waste extra 150 euros in Microsoft Office. At the end it is like 250 euros for a desktop computer saved which is a big deal.
3) You don't need an antivirus, and we all know antivirus are painful.
4) The community is huge and active, so whenever you got an issue, just ask on a forum and it will be answered really fast.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Thing is I actually want office. And it's free because of work. I have used Linux and found that Windows is simply a more fully-featured OS for average daily use. I think in many ways Linux is superior in its core design and certainly a more stable OS, which is why it's so often used for servers, but for average daily use just meh. You say you don't need to google your software, but I've found that installing things on Linux is often actually much more time consuming than on Windows.
But the main argument is that certain apps are just missing, especially Microsoft apps which are often the best ones on the market. VS is a great example.
We have a guy at work who insists on using Linux and keeps advocating it. Meanwhile he has to use remote desktop to be able to use certain apps and constantly has issues with compatibility that no one else has.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Windows is free for me ^_^ , I didn't want to pay 100€ for something that I can get easy for free. But maybe some of you guys have some strong moral codes against the piracy
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Yeah Riki, let's not pretend it is something it is not. I am at least as much (probably more) of an advocate for free software as you, but obviously many proprietary products are superior utility-wise simply due to the amount of money that went into developing them. Linux is simply both too low-level (you can't really use Linux without ever having to open a terminal, while most Windows-users have never even touched the command prompt) and lacks utility for many. I think the best way to move forward is to try bring attention to the importance of free software, and more importantly make the free software-community a strong one (strong enough so that people will support financially as well). We need to take responsibility more than we currently do, and not blindly blame the Microsoft-supporters/users (not saying that you are doing this).
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

NekoBerk wrote:Windows is free for me ^_^ , I didn't want to pay 100€ for something that I can get easy for free. But maybe some of you guys have some strong moral codes against the piracy

What you say is right, though the criticism toward Linux were for common users. Tweaking the Bios and installing your own OS is not something that a lot of people does, so it doesn't invalidate the fact for a lot of people, it is saving 100 euros.

Goodspeed wrote:Thing is I actually want office. And it's free because of work. I have used Linux and found that Windows is simply a more fully-featured OS for average daily use. I think in many ways Linux is superior in its core design and certainly a more stable OS, which is why it's so often used for servers, but for average daily use just meh. You say you don't need to google your software, but I've found that installing things on Linux is often actually much more time consuming than on Windows.
But the main argument is that certain apps are just missing, especially Microsoft apps which are often the best ones on the market. VS is a great example.
We have a guy at work who insists on using Linux and keeps advocating it. Meanwhile he has to use remote desktop to be able to use certain apps and constantly has issues with compatibility that no one else has.

But it is what I find weird. Even if you don't pay office, your company still pays for it, so it turns out it is still 150 euros to add per computer. I'm pretty sure all the features you use in MS Office are available in LibreOffice, so why not using it.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

There is increasingly significant integration between Office and other MS services like Sharepoint, Teams, Calendar etcetera. I don't see LibreOffice keeping up with that. For businesses, using MS Office is a complete nobrainer, and I'm not going to use something else at home than I use at work.
Anyway for me personally, the lack of VS on Linux makes me write it off immediately.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Rikikipu wrote:Just curious, what kind of software you use in Windows which is not available on Linux ?

Photoshop
Audition (for quick editing of FLACs)
Illustrator (for vector work/editing)
AutoCAD for 3D work (blueprints, designs)
Adobe Premiere for video editing
MS Word, MS Excel, Note
other DAWs, like Cubase (for anything related to recording sound, voice-overs etc)
games for casual fun
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Are none of those runnable with Wine? I've been able to run MixMeister Fusion (pretty complex and expensive audio-mixing software) on Ubuntu. It's slightly buggy but nothing detrimental.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Could be, idk, but there are no Linux drivers for the hardware I have.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Linux is garbage for gaming, has limited engineering software, and doesnt have visual studio. I still use it despite all these things because of 1 software for FEA.
Error 404: Signature not found
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

So the true issue is, why do you code in C# ? :dry: :biggrin: