Linux is everywhere, what you waiting ?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Re: Linux is everywhere, what you waiting ?

Post by Rikikipu »

Got to mention that although Visual Studio Code isn't as complete as Visual Studio, but still an arguably really nice IDE
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

VSC is great, I use it when I dabble in languages that are not C# or Python. But like you said it's not VS. As for why you would use C#... is that a serious question? :P
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

what you waiting though.. :hmm:
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

Goodspeed wrote:VSC is great, I use it when I dabble in languages that are not C# or Python. But like you said it's not VS. As for why you would use C#... is that a serious question? :P

Yeah I was just joking about C#. However, for Python I saw at conferences liki PyData, that they just use Vim, but I don't know that much about that language (although I would like to).
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

:hmm: I don't know why you would use Vim when there are actual Python IDE's around like PyCharm.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Vim is more of a general-purpose editor, that can be customised and extended to your liking. Very much preferred by those who like to be in control of their editor and like the old-school look. And, ofc, by those who hate having to wait a few seconds for an Electron-based text editor to load (such as Atom, Brackets and others; VSC is also based on Electron).

I wouldn't call VSC an IDE, it does have IDE-like features (CLI integration, console, debugger), but it's still a text editor through and through. Visual Studio is more useful for working in big teams, in an enterprise setting, I think. Many people don't like its footprint, though, and consider to be hugely bloated and biased towards the Microsoft ecosystem.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

I have used Linux for last 5 years and some few months ago uninstalled it for good. During the time I used to enjoy Linux, I installed Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10 ... 17.10, Kali, Elementary, Mint, RedHat(god knows what version), and this is my views on it.
  • Connection to remote machines is much easier in Linux as compared to Windows. Windows hasn't even yet given official support to ssh on Powershell that they portray superior to Linux bash.
  • Linux compatibility spans from your papa's potato PC to your i7-7th gen Ultrabook, and man! the resource management is much more greater than Windows.
  • If you are a technical guy, you know that the way shared libs work in Linux more optimal as compared to it's Windows couterpart (DLL's)(Can't find the source, I read about it in my course named Computer Organisation and Architecture).
  • With root account you are the master of you ship(machine), you can do anything you want which makes it much more flexible than Windows, of course not everyone can handle root account because it can break PC if you're noob.
  • Linux is robust, reason why it is used in servers.
  • When your OS costs you just 7-8 gigs of space on installation you have much room to store other stuff, on Windows it costs like 25gigs<
  • Unlike Windows where you have anti-malware service executable, Windows Telemetry System, shitloads of useless "service hosts", uncontrollable Windows Update and the MOST USELESS AI ASSISTANT OF ALL TIME -> Cortana run in background and you can't do anything about it, Linux runs minimal applications and services on background which gives you more resource to do the work you intend to do.
  • Life is easier to when you don't have to worry about license renewals on Office Suite, you have Libre and OpenOffice
  • With C# going Open Source, there are IDE's like Mono which is available on Linux.

But there are some caveats...
  • With every version of OS upgrade there was at least 1 problem, and when I say at least I think it should be like "always more than"
  • Wine does work for your normal Windows application but is quite cumbersome to make it work like it would on Windows, you'd have more frame drops on Linux than Windows on same machine.
  • I loved the idea of free software, but after using some of them available to me, I reached to a conclusion that you always need to pay if you want to get cutting edge tech and want to make progress, take gimp vs illustrator(?) example

TLDR- You should switch to Linux if...
  • You are not happy with your PC performance on Windows and want better output and response time.
  • you feel it is better to use free applications.
  • you can be satisfied with some less games available to download on Steam
  • you can keep yourself from using some of the best software in your field of interest
  • you are privacy conscious and love going under the hood.

Linux is a great piece of Software and it is unique in it's own way, you should however not switch to Linux if
  • you don't like terminal
  • you play games
  • you don't care about privacy
  • that bitch Cortana doesn't get on your nerves

EDIT- After some major crashes and urge to play games I installed Windows 10 and I feel I need to do changes less here than Linux, but that's just because it doesn't allow me to :P
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't think I have an issue with Linux as much as I have an issue with all the UNIX shit legacy, such as permissions, the idea that everything is a file, streams, and all that crap that Linux implemented based on UNIX. I don't understand some people's dumb adulation of Unix, which is proprietary (if you care about that) and is the result of a computing paradigm from the 70s. Like srsly, the world of computing moved on since then, lots of paradigms in programming and hardware changed.

Two days ago I had to set 4 (four) different file/directory permissions to make the Ubuntu terminal read one of my OpenSSH keys.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Linix is everywhere, what you waiting ?

Post by edeholland »

Rikikipu wrote:I'm pretty sure all the features you use in MS Office are available in LibreOffice, so why not using it.

Well not for my Excel usage :P So that's reason enough to stick with Office/Windows
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Why don't I use Linux? Well, I simply don't live a computer-centric lifestyle.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor

Post by Rikikipu »

kami_ryu wrote:I have a second SSD, I could probably partition some of its space aside for a Linux install.

How much space should I set aside? What build should I be looking at?

aah nice ! You really don't need a lot of space to run Linux, something like 1,5 Go should be the only minimum. I advice you to use Ubuntu or Linux Mint distribution, those 2 are the ones which runs easily out of the box. Ubuntu is my favorite, but is a bit ugly before customisation.
This is what you have before customisation :

This what you have after 30 minuts customisation :

Welcome to the new free world ! Don't hesitate to ask if you need some clarification !
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

How do you hack into NSA
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Here's how my UI is at the moment; I like it quite a lot. Multiple workspaces are a lifesaver, especially if you only have one 1440x900 monitor. :chinese:

https://streamable.com/eze1p
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm on Ubuntu as well.
Pay more attention to detail.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

princeofcarthage wrote:How do you hack into NSA

Become a Slav and learn assembly.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

I'm on MacOS. It's great.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

No, it is apple. It can't be great.
ImageImageImage
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I'm trying to decide if I should use Ubuntu or a questionably obtained Windows 10 key. Here's my pro/con list of using linux.

Pros:
Less spying.
Free.
Easier to install since i don't need to fidget with keys.
Seems good for improving computer literacy.

Cons:
Software compatibility issues.
Games are less well-optimized.
Have to fidget with crucial software like microsoft office to get it working, instead of it working out of the box.

Anyone have any input?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't see any advantage to using desktop Linux, unless you're a developer (and you need the huge ecosystem of tools built for linux) or you have a special reason to mistrust commercial OSes (like their built-in telemetry).

You don't have to roll with questionable Win10 keys, there are even some open source Win10 activators like KMS_VL_ALL, which works very well and its code can be downloaded and checked, if you don't trust it.
More info here: https://rentry.co/fwt
And here (might require registration): https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... ipt.79535/

If you want the highest degree of control over Win10, the best version is Enterprise (either the older version LTSB or the newer one LTSC, but this one comes bare-bones, without any packaged apps). Then you can use the policy editor to block most telemetry services, except for those that collect error messages after a program crash. If you really want to block any Win10 telemetry, you might be able to block all of Microsoft's domains in the host file (there are some pastas out there that provide you with their domain names).

If you still want to try linux out, you could start with something more noob-friendly like some Ubuntu distro that is easier to install and set up.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Amsel_ wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should use Ubuntu or a questionably obtained Windows 10 key. Here's my pro/con list of using linux.

Pros:
Less spying.
Free.

Cons:
Have to fidget with crucial software like microsoft office to get it working, instead of it working out of the box.

Anyone have any input?
I can provide you with a legit windows 10 key for free if you want
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

yeah if you have someone familiar that is in school/uni/whatever, chances are they have access to free w10 keys and legit microsoft office (although the office may require re-authentication every few months)
i have used my 2 w10 keys to set up 4 pcs so far without issues
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

gibson wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:I'm trying to decide if I should use Ubuntu or a questionably obtained Windows 10 key. Here's my pro/con list of using linux.

Pros:
Less spying.
Free.

Cons:

Anyone have any input?
If you're serious, I would greatly appreciate that.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Amsel_ wrote:
gibson wrote:

Pros:
Less spying.
Free.

Cons:

Anyone have any input?
If you're serious, I would greatly appreciate that.
Ill pick you up one when I go to work on Monday. You can put windows 10 on your pc before that and use it and just add the product key afterwords. If you remember DM me on here on monday sometime so I dont forget xD