Trust in institutions

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Trust in institutions

Post by fightinfrenchman »

As we've seen a rise in populism in the United States and Europe over the past few years, it is important that we look towards one of the main causes: a loss of trust in institutions. Axios produced this interesting chart based on data from the Edelman Trust Barometer. I'd like to hear from some people which of the four groups they would say is the "most broken," why, as well as where you are from.
Attachments
Trust in institutions.PNG
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Trust in institutions

Post by Dolan »

Look at all the brainlets not being interested in this great topic.

I think the choice of options is very limited in that chart, which is probably due to the fact that those are the top results in the survey. I would say that the most broken thing right now is the financial system, which is neither just the government or the business sector, though both are involved as agents in it.

The reason why the financial system is broken has to do with capitalism's main incentive -- greed and its failure to keep in check excessive greed that can lead to systemic risks. Also, lately, we've witnessed how some companies tend to destroy or swallow their entire competition and become de facto monopolies (see Google, Microsoft in the past, Intel in the server market, Comcast in the US cable communications market) or semi-monopolies (like Uber and Airbnb). Last, but not least, data gathering and profiling has turned these companies pretty much into digital stalkers, who try to collect as much information about users and sell it to anyone interested. This has a major potential for fuck-ups, as we've seen with Equifax, Yahoo, Sony and others.

So, imo, those results from that survey don't say much, except for reflecting people's frustration with whomever they perceive as the biggest culprit for their problems. And obviously, due to cultural differences in mentality, the Chinese tend to mistrust the private sector more than the government, because they have a more collectivist mindset than Westerners.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Damn that's a big difference (between US and China). To be expected I suppose.
Dolan hit the nail on the head: the issue is the financial system. I do think most of the responsibility is with governments though, as the only way to combat rampant capitalism is regulation. You can't expect businesses to work against their own financial interests because their purpose is to make money, but you can and should expect governments to work in the interest of all of their people. This is why statements like "I will run the government like I run my businesses" should be alarming.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Goodspeed wrote:Damn that's a big difference (between US and China). To be expected I suppose.
Dolan hit the nail on the head: the issue is the financial system. I do think most of the responsibility is with governments though, as the only way to combat rampant capitalism is regulation. You can't expect businesses to work against their own financial interests because their purpose is to make money, but you can and should expect governments to work in the interest of all of their people. This is why statements like "I will run the government like I run my businesses" should be alarming.

it definitely should be alarming, and the fact that many people equate politics with financial policy should also be alarming. There ought to be separation of corporation and state, just as there is or ought to be separation of church and state. when there isn't, you get things such as net neutrality repeal, trade deals nobody understands or government condoned tax evasion by multi billion dollar corporations.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Take the Chinese numbers with a grain of salt. Most Chinese don't dare to say their honest opinion about the government, not even to close friends.
Politics in China is rarely discussed.

Look up the gazillions of $ leaving China on a yearly basis, including money from government officials :)

My previous office was right next to the US immigration office in Shanghai, daily we could see lines of 1000 meters waiting in line, hoping to finally leave China.

Whoever paid money to have that survey done, have wasted their money.

EDITSH: Every big scandal in China usually have ties to a government official, from fake rice to fake police officers.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Good thread so far. Surprisingly enough there isn't very much to disagree with.
Pay more attention to detail.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

As for Denmark... (I will post my best guesstimates)

Government: 80%

Media: 80%

Business: 90%

NGO: 75% (A few recent scandals)
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Snuden wrote:As for Denmark... (I will post my best guesstimates)

This makes literally no sense
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Snuden wrote:As for Denmark... (I will post my best guesstimates)

This makes literally no sense

You are right. I mistakenly thought you asked for "Trust level" in each sector :unsure:

So NGO's is what I guess most Danes have the least trust in (compared to the options given)
[Sith] - Baphomet
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Goodspeed wrote:Damn that's a big difference (between US and China). To be expected I suppose.
And guess which world leader is removing tons and tons of government regulation in his country :cry:
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

People are always looking for scapegoats for their problems. The banks. The elites. The media. The government. The schooling system. Big businesses. Some of these are evil and trying to hurt people (the government, especially), but, the only reason they're able to do it is because you let them. People have to take personal responsibility. Open up a Bible and learn the wisdom of God and humanity. Then you won't need to blame anyone for your troubles. When you're spiritually damaged, mental and physical damage naturally follow. It's much better to learn this while young than old.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Can we please leave out the Bible in what has the potential to be a good thread?
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

If you refuse to understand that the physical relies on the metaphysical, that is like a donkey chasing a carrot all day. Your master, the Prince of the physical realm, may grant you the carrot at the end of the gruelling day, but tomorrow, only another carrot chase awaits you. And on and on. The way to break free is to look beyond the carrot, and see the entire world.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

lejend wrote:People are always looking for scapegoats for their problems. The banks. The elites. The media. The government. The schooling system. Big businesses. Some of these are evil and trying to hurt people (the government, especially), but, the only reason they're able to do it is because you let them. People have to take personal responsibility. Open up a Bible and learn the wisdom of God and humanity. Then you won't need to blame anyone for your troubles. When you're spiritually damaged, mental and physical damage naturally follow. It's much better to learn this while young than old.
don't you ever get tired of trolling and ruining threads like this?
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Regulation is not magic; it can be both bad and good. As it stands now, most of the regulation favors the large corporations rather than the public, despite what the laws are being portrayed as. The removal of bad regulation is quite a bit more important than the introduction of good regulation.
Pay more attention to detail.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Maybe, maybe not. But who say it absolutely have to be the christian God?
:devil:
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Fine, but He is the father of Christ, kindly provide idea
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Snuden wrote:Maybe, maybe not. But who say it absolutely have to be the christian God?
:devil:

There's only one God, by definition. You are probably thinking of gods, which are numerous but completely irrelevant. But that's off-topic.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

I was thinking off the religion retardness as a whole.
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

kami_ryu wrote:
umeu wrote:

it definitely should be alarming, and the fact that many people equate politics with financial policy should also be alarming. There ought to be separation of corporation and state, just as there is or ought to be separation of church and state. when there isn't, you get things such as net neutrality repeal, trade deals nobody understands or government condoned tax evasion by multi billion dollar corporations.

Well sure, but that's not how the United States work at all. There is no separation whatsoever and lobbying is way over the top. There's nothing that's going to break that status quo for a while, frankly. :/

i'm aware it doesnt work like that lol.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Snuden wrote:I was thinking off the religion retardness as a whole.

Oh, well then Christianity is obviously the One True Faith, but it has quite a lot in common with other philosophies, like Stoicism and some Eastern philosophies. The point is that there is a reason for struggle and suffering in this world. When people don't realize this, that is spiritual damage. Mental and physical damage naturally follow.

That's why every time religion is on the decline, there is an accompanying rise in utopic ideologies and degeneracy. People are always looking for saviors, and perfect world. If your savior is not the true one in God, and if your perfect world isnt the true one in Heaven, then you'll fall prey to worldly delusions like Nazism, Communism, social justice, hedonism, along with the misery, death and hopelessness that always accompany them. It is much better to learn from the wisdom of your ancestors. Everything you feel they too felt. People today aren't different from people 300, 2000, or 4000 years ago. If you don't learn from their mistakes, you will repeat them.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Gendarme wrote:Regulation is not magic; it can be both bad and good. As it stands now, most of the regulation favors the large corporations rather than the public, despite what the laws are being portrayed as. The removal of bad regulation is quite a bit more important than the introduction of good regulation.

Isn't this just common knowledge?
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Dolan wrote:Look at all the brainlets not being interested in this great topic.

I hate having personally preferenced interests >:(

Wish I was as smaht as u