Trust in institutions

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Re: Trust in institutions

Post by lejend »

Goodspeed wrote:
lejend wrote:Although today's struggles aren't economic or political or material.
:hmm:

Well, what about it? Today, people have air conditioning, cars, modern housing, limitless entertainment, plentiful food, and a whole host of material luxuries. But at the same time, they are lonely, depressed, bored, lazy. Their parents are selfish or missing. Their romantic life is essentially one empty and temporary relationship after another, or just no relationship at all. They are drug addled or drunks. They are unaware of their worth and constantly debase themselves. They have no sense of community. Their societies are constantly being invaded by foreign elements that slaughter and torture their women/children.

It's because they are not Christian. Christianity is the cure to all this. Which makes you think: what entity is trying to keep this cure to people's ills away from them? Why are people today so unaware of it?

Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2 Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. 3 Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

10 The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?”

11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:

“Though seeing, they do not see;
though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:

“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
15 For this people’s heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.’[a]

16 But blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear. 17 For truly I tell you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 22 The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. 23 But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:Nope,
firstly I said in the post don't take the word religious literally.
I claim to be the best aoe 3 player, does that really make me? No similarly isis claiming to be religious doesn't make them religious. The religion they claim are following does not teach rape of women, killing of innocent children, sending children strapped with suicide bombs in market etc.. heck none of the religion preaches war.

:hmm:
I am pretty sure every sentence here was made in some context at the time, but now people just take the word for it without understanding story behind it. When Muhammad said it was okay to kill disbelievers, it was at a a time when pagans were killing Muslims mercilessly and the treaties were violated. He further states fighting is only allowed if it's in self defense and against those actively fighting you. It also states if the fighting enemy gives up arms and inclines towards peace you are suppose to stop fighting. If what you say was the case every Muslim would have fought every non-Muslim throughout the history and either Muslims or no Muslims would have existed. It's just so easy to google few pictures on internet and hey look I know religion and then take up arms in its place without even knowing what it means.

ISIS is not the real threat, they can be killed with bullets, but blatant spread of misinformation and lack of knowledge are, cuz they turn into an idea and idea can not be killed with bullets and passes on even from dead.

There's probably some 14 year old brainwashed kid out their who is reading what you have posted and getting ready to strap a suicide vest to his chest and blow up a a market in Pakistan under name of religion.

Now I'm curious about the oh so misunderstood context of 2:223 and 4:34 :hmm:

So you're basically saying the holy Quran is incredibly outdated in its phrasing and needs a reformation?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

lejend wrote:Well, what about it? Today, people have air conditioning, cars, modern housing, limitless entertainment, plentiful food, and a whole host of material luxuries. But at the same time, they are lonely, depressed, bored, lazy. Their parents are selfish or missing. Their romantic life is essentially one empty and temporary relationship after another, or just no relationship at all. They are drug addled or drunks. They are unaware of their worth and constantly debase themselves. They have no sense of community. Their societies are constantly being invaded by foreign elements that slaughter and torture their women/children.

It's because they are not Christian. Christianity is the cure to all this. Which makes you think: what entity is trying to keep this cure to people's ills away from them? Why are people today so unaware of it?

This is not applicable for everyone. Not everyone has economical stability and can afford all that stuff. In some countries taxation can take up to 40/50% of your income and money can become a concrete issue in life. I also don't think that loneliness, depression, boredom and lazyness are applicable to everyone, but they are surely more widespread than they have ever been as far as i can tell. In this era through information we are exposed to basically anything that happens in the world, our ordinary life become boring in comparison to what we see through the screens. In this endless amount of information it becomes even difficult to find one's inspiration or ambiton or purpose in life. Sometimes i've found myself wondering about "What am i looking forward to?". Sometimes thinking about my future does not excite me, as if i had already seen all that there is to be seen. But i don't think i am depressed. Nowadays we have so much time to think and to introspect ourselves. Probably our ancestors "ingenuity" made them happier (assuming they were, in fact, happier, which is not necessarily the case; 100 years ago nobody would have done surveys about depression or unhappyness. I hope i don't mistake the increased rate of the "disease" with the increased rate of diagnosis of said "disease". Do you get what i mean?)

I'm gonna link a video that i recall watching some time ago, which i found quite interesting. Not sure about how relevant to the topic it is, but it's worth watching imo.
phpBB [video]

I'm not sure that christianity can be an answer to the "problem of unhappyness". Probably who lives following christian principles is less likely to be unhappy but i don't think being christian is easy. You don't just decide to believe in God, faith should not come from one's will only, it's also something you feel, and often you can't choose your feelings.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

gamevideo113 wrote:
This is not applicable for everyone. Not everyone has economical stability and can afford all that stuff. In some countries taxation can take up to 40/50% of your income and money can become a concrete issue in life. I also don't think that loneliness, depression, boredom and lazyness are applicable to everyone, but they are surely more widespread than they have ever been as far as i can tell. In this era through information we are exposed to basically anything that happens in the world, our ordinary life become boring in comparison to what we see through the screens. In this endless amount of information it becomes even difficult to find one's inspiration or ambiton or purpose in life. Sometimes i've found myself wondering about "What am i looking forward to?". Sometimes thinking about my future does not excite me, as if i had already seen all that there is to be seen. But i don't think i am depressed. Nowadays we have so much time to think and to introspect ourselves. Probably our ancestors "ingenuity" made them happier (assuming they were, in fact, happier, which is not necessarily the case; 100 years ago nobody would have done surveys about depression or unhappyness. I hope i don't mistake the increased rate of the "disease" with the increased rate of diagnosis of said "disease". Do you get what i mean?)

I'm gonna link a video that i recall watching some time ago, which i found quite interesting. Not sure about how relevant to the topic it is, but it's worth watching imo.
phpBB [video]

I'm not sure that christianity can be an answer to the "problem of unhappyness". Probably who lives following christian principles is less likely to be unhappy but i don't think being christian is easy. You don't just decide to believe in God, faith should not come from one's will only, it's also something you feel, and often you can't choose your feelings.

Good points. And that last paragraph might make for an interesting future discussion.

Of course it doesn't apply to everyone. But in general people today are wealthier but less fulfilled. When you are rich and looking for a quick snack, a loaf of bread doesn't much appeal to you. But when you're starved and homeless, a loaf of bread seems more like the nectar of the gods.

So material prosperity doesn't necessarily result in happiness. So I don't think modern material prosperity necessarily makes up for the harms of social ills.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

you still here @lejend after de railing this thread ( one among 100s)? I sometimes wonder, what are your motivations for doing so? Guess you dont want a real discussion on importaint things? like political ones? Im stunned, and I wish the admins would stop you from throwing Jesus in to every topic there is.
Fightingfrenshmen made an interesting point, and there where some pretty interesting responses from Gibson, Umeu, Goodspeed, and even Snuden :P Was thinking about getting involved myself, untill............ :roll you derailed the topic to be about religion, AGAIN :huh:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

I would like admins to stop people throwing Jesus in swearingly/disrespectfully but they won't listen to me either
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

dietschlander wrote:I would like admins to stop people throwing Jesus in swearingly/disrespectfully but they won't listen to me either

maybe you could make a thread about that? And let other ppl, interested in politics, do a political discussion then :flowers:
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

iwillspankyou wrote:you still here @lejend after de railing this thread ( one among 100s)? I sometimes wonder, what are your motivations for doing so? Guess you dont want a real discussion on importaint things? like political ones? Im stunned, and I wish the admins would stop you from throwing Jesus in to every topic there is.
Fightingfrenshmen made an interesting point, and there where some pretty interesting responses from Gibson, Umeu, Goodspeed, and even Snuden :P Was thinking about getting involved myself, untill............ :roll you derailed the topic to be about religion, AGAIN :huh:

My posts are ontopic.

Now you got me all interested in your viewpoint. Please, get involved. Tell us what your opinion on all this is. Nobody is sopping you from posting.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

iwillspankyou wrote:you still here @lejend after de railing this thread ( one among 100s)? I sometimes wonder, what are your motivations for doing so? Guess you dont want a real discussion on importaint things? like political ones? Im stunned, and I wish the admins would stop you from throwing Jesus in to every topic there is.

Lejend's posts about religion (which imo are not totally irrelevant to the topic) do not prevent you from posting about the original topic :chinese:
I think cynism and indifference towards religion are akin to mistrust in political governement or other entities of various sorts.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

gamevideo113 wrote:

Lejend's posts about religion (which imo are not totally irrelevant to the topic) do not prevent you from posting about the original topic :chinese:
I think cynism and indifference towards religion are akin to mistrust in political governement or other entities of various sorts.

Not to mention religion is an institution too, so it is perfectly on topic.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/212840/amer ... edges.aspx
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

As a kid I too was a militant anti-theist, basking in neoliberal echo-chambers on Facebook, showering any theist and non-feminist who dared show their face with personal insults.

Crazy.
Pay more attention to detail.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

gamevideo113 wrote:

AS I said, make your own post about religion. I will surely not participate, But you knuckleheads can do as much of it as you like. Just keep you chistian stuff out of decent threads, that could turn out to be interesting :uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol: :uglylol:
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Religion is for those who are easily manipulated and in general don't know where they belong.
Parents prohibiting their children to see a doctor, etc... Sickening.

Whenever a religious freak ring my doorbell I pretend to invite them in, only to slam the door right in their face.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Snuden wrote:Religion is for those who are easily manipulated and in general don't know where they belong.
Parents prohibiting their children to see a doctor, etc... Sickening.

Whenever a religious freak ring my doorbell I pretend to invite them in, only to slam the door right in their face.

lol, your mean you ignorant dane :o
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Lukas_L99 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I am pretty sure every sentence here was made in some context at the time, but now people just take the word for it without understanding story behind it. When Muhammad said it was okay to kill disbelievers, it was at a a time when pagans were killing Muslims mercilessly and the treaties were violated. He further states fighting is only allowed if it's in self defense and against those actively fighting you. It also states if the fighting enemy gives up arms and inclines towards peace you are suppose to stop fighting. If what you say was the case every Muslim would have fought every non-Muslim throughout the history and either Muslims or no Muslims would have existed. It's just so easy to google few pictures on internet and hey look I know religion and then take up arms in its place without even knowing what it means.

ISIS is not the real threat, they can be killed with bullets, but blatant spread of misinformation and lack of knowledge are, cuz they turn into an idea and idea can not be killed with bullets and passes on even from dead.

There's probably some 14 year old brainwashed kid out their who is reading what you have posted and getting ready to strap a suicide vest to his chest and blow up a a market in Pakistan under name of religion.

So you're basically saying the holy Quran is incredibly outdated in its phrasing and needs a reformation?
Languages of that time and today are very different, even english is very different. You have to understand that their is no direct translation but rather a translation which is mixed of meaning based and word based. Sometimes the meaning is lost in these translations and we just take word for word. Kill/beat does not neccessarily reflect actual killing or beating. The society at that time was very different compared to ours. If you are going to consider literal translations, then in a way yes it does not apply to today's society. But if you are going to look at the meaning or the message it tried to spreads then no, it holds true even today. Such language was often used during shakeapeare's time also, but the meaning was obviously never go beat your wife.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Languages of that time and today are very different, even english is very different. You have to understand that their is no direct translation but rather a translation which is mixed of meaning based and word based. Sometimes the meaning is lost in these translations and we just take word for word. Kill/beat does not neccessarily reflect actual killing or beating. The society at that time was very different compared to ours. If you are going to consider literal translations, then in a way yes it does not apply to today's society. But if you are going to look at the meaning or the message it tried to spreads then no, it holds true even today. Such language was often used during shakeapeare time to, but the meaning was obviously never go beat your wife.

C, a totally derailed topic, - You could not have any clue about where it started - AT ALL :cry:
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "
[Sith] - Baphomet
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Snuden wrote:Samuel 15:3: "This is what the Lord Almighty says ... 'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' "

Damn that is harsh, :cry: :cry: how come that is the God of :love:
:shock: :shock:
Im glad he has no saying over me or my life!
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Why do you get triggered by christianity? Or any religious sort of talk i guess
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

gamevideo113 wrote:Why do you get triggered by christianity? Or any religious sort of talk i guess

lol - I dont get triggered when they stay out of my life, and out of any posts that has nothing to do with religion. You stick to your stickyness, and I stick to reason, and wanting to discuss real issues facing us now (not 2000 years ago) :huh:
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

I don't want to sound rude but in my opinion you have a distorted view of religion. I am not a very religious person myself but in my life i met a lot of great people who are religious. As i said I'm not really into religion but i didn't dismiss it that quickly with the old, boring, overused religion=/=reason argument. There is surely more than that.
Besides, whether you like it or not, religion is an institution in many countries as lejend was saying :uglylol:
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

gamevideo113 wrote:Why do you get triggered by christianity? Or any religious sort of talk i guess

In case this was for me... Even if it wasn't;

IMO most believers cling on to fake hope, rather than take responsibility for their own happiness/wealth/health/etc
There is no God... It's a hoax, designed for the weak minded in order to give them false hope, and of course take their money.

I'll admit that I don't read or watch a whole lot about it, but sometimes it's served right in my face if I have the misfortune of watching a Republicunt defending some kind of absurdness. If my remote control is a little low on battery I am sometimes exposed to such retardness for up to 8-10 seconds, without being mentally prepared.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

gamevideo113 wrote:I don't want to sound rude but in my opinion you have a distorted view of religion. I am not a very religious person myself but in my life i met a lot of great people who are religious. As i said I'm not really into religion but i didn't dismiss it that quickly with the old, boring, overused religion=/=reason argument. There is surely more than that.
Besides, whether you like it or not, religion is an institution in many countries as lejend was saying :uglylol:

My opinion on religion is that its a making of war, for 1000 years, and still. Imo ppl can beleave whatever they want. just dont try to pull it down my throuth. Thats all. how is that for distorions :shock:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

fuck I never thought I would be on the side of @Snuden in any discussion, but here I am ;)
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

iwillspankyou wrote:fuck I never thought I would be on the side of @Snuden in any discussion, but here I am ;)

Repeat after me: H A I L S A T A N!
[Sith] - Baphomet