Jazz vs Rock

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Which music is better?

Jazz
24%
Rock n roll (includes heavy metal etc)
76%

Total votes: 17

United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Jazz vs Rock

Post by noissance »

Which music do you like more?
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: Jazz vs Rock

Post by deleted_user »

I like Jazz more.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Both have great music. Rock'n'roll has branched out in way more directions than jazz and has had a greater influence on music in the last two centuries.

The question in the topic title is different from the question in your original post, though.

>Which music is better?
None, they're both great.

>Which music do you like more?
Probably rock'n'roll, because it created so many different genres and great music, while jazz had a more limited influence on music and didn't spur as much creation.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

I use jazz as a tool to bed women, taking them to a metal club has shown very limited results for me.
Taking them to a jazz club yields much much better results. Get them silly on red wine and you are on to a winner.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Jazz is to complicated for me. I like my simple Cmj7's and Eb's. Don't feel like f#b59 and a6#7. Just want to chill.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

Jazz is more like an elite music, it requires a perspective/education on music. So most of the people who like jazz act like they like jazz and want to feel elite. I like rock n roll rthmys, punk/garage.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

HUMMAN wrote:Jazz is more like an elite music, it requires a perspective/education on music. There I completely disagree. Just because some pretentious people snob around it doesn't mean they actually know much about it - if you enjoy music, regardless of the genre, you can be a fan of that genre.

So most of the people who like jazz act like they like jazz and want to feel elite. I like rock n roll rthmys, punk/garage. True, Jazz is often used to boost egos and feel special - those people might not even like the music itself

Personally I like Jazz to chill out and as a nice background music because it's not that intrusive, not much to get distracted by - for studying or if you need some chill background music that nobody really dislikes
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer

Post by HUMMAN »

Yea you can enjoy but its more unlikely if you dont know concept/background. Same goes with paintings, just looking wont give much enjoyment you have to understand and feel the painting. Listening jazz is hard because sounds are more complicated harder to play and listen. Not every people hear and perceive same thing when listening music, you can understand this better if you talk with a person that has good ear.
Canada JulyBurnsOrange
Skirmisher
ESO: JulyBurnsOrange

Post by JulyBurnsOrange »

As someone who did a year of music school (which was jazz focused), Jazz takes way more skill and talent to properly pull off, but personally, rock wins for me. Just prefer the high energy of metal/rock/core compared to jazz, but some jazz musicians are legit music dieties.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

Jazz and Rock are great. I mostly listen to Rock (esp Hard Rock), but it is awsome to play Jazz in a big band.
ImageImageImage
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I like rock more when actively listening. When on the bus, walking to school, being on a party etc. I like jazz more when I am in a certain mood. Studying, eating dinner or being with my girlfriend is better accompanied by jazz than by rock.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

What a dumb question. These two aren't even comparable and are both good in their own regard.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I'm a fan of jazz. Definitely think, without trying to sound elitist, Jazz needs more getting into. Especially if you stop listening to only the slow saxophone jazz, you need to learn to appreciate it first. Turns out that becomes much easier if you already have a background in music of some sort. Not as accessible, but I personally find that I focus mostly on the notes than anything else and more popular music can simply be boring in that regard.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer

Post by HUMMAN »

An interesting jazz cover of iron man:
[spoiler=lelor][youtube]https://youtu.be/tNLHOTn81Cw[/youtube][/spoiler]