Do You Believe?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Your thoughts on aliens closest resemble which of the following?

I do not believe in aliens
17%
I think aliens are out there but we have not met them yet
54%
I think we have found evidence of aliens on earth and it is being covered up.
17%
Other
11%

Total votes: 46

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: Do You Believe?

Post by princeofcarthage »

momuuu wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Is it? Anyway it still is incedibly small despite all tge combination of factors.
The scale of the universe is just too big to be any probable that there is just one planet with life.

Yes its finite.

It's just a speculation as well, you can't without a doubt for sure as you would say 2+2=4, that universe is finite or infinite for that reason. All we know is that universe is much bigger than the observable universe. Well then there's also this theory that universe is actually very small shaped like a football with mirrors creating an illusion of infinite space.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Retired Contributor

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Garja wrote:I'm frankly rather ignorant to this (never been too interested) but why they say it keeps expanding then?

As far as I understand it, the space is expanding, but not the stuff in it. A good metaphor is imagine a deflated balloon, then you put a bunch of dots on it. As you inflate the balloon, the dots get further and further from each other as the space between them expands, but no more dots are actually added.

The theory is actually that energy in universe remains constant, not the matter, new stars are being born and old one keeps doing. Infact right now there are more stars than there were earlier and they will continue to grow for some time
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

princeofcarthage wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Garja wrote:I'm frankly rather ignorant to this (never been too interested) but why they say it keeps expanding then?

As far as I understand it, the space is expanding, but not the stuff in it. A good metaphor is imagine a deflated balloon, then you put a bunch of dots on it. As you inflate the balloon, the dots get further and further from each other as the space between them expands, but no more dots are actually added.

The theory is actually that energy in universe remains constant, not the matter, new stars are being born and old one keeps doing. Infact right now there are more stars than there were earlier and they will continue to grow for some time

Constant energy, constant matter, no?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass-energy_equivalence
Retired Contributor

Your link wrong btw. Anyways mass and matter are 2 different things. You are confused
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

princeofcarthage wrote:Your link wrong btw. Anyways mass and matter are 2 different things. You are confused

Mass and matter are not 2 different things. Matter is essentially defined as anything that has mass. The amount of matter something has is described by it's mass. As mass is also a descriptor of energy, all of it becomes conserved within the universe as energy cannot be created or destroyed.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Retired Contributor

Sigh, and we all wonder why Chineese are taking up the world now. I am bored to explain that in detail but you should really search or re-read your class 4, class 7 n class 8 books to know how different they really are :P
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

princeofcarthage wrote:Sigh, and we all wonder why Chineese are taking up the world now. I am bored to explain that in detail but you should really search or re-read your class 4, class 7 n class 8 books to know how different they really are :P

I think we understand the relative nuances that they are not the same as one is a substance and one is a quantitative property of said substance but in an online forum in which most people may or may not have completed high school physics and chemistry then I feel that it is easy enough to call them the same thing. Next time I'll be more be articulate in putting forth my opinion :flowers:
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Retired Contributor

wardyb1 wrote:but in an online forum in which most people may or may not have completed high school physics and chemistry
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

princeofcarthage wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yes its finite.

It's just a speculation as well, you can't without a doubt for sure as you would say 2+2=4, that universe is finite or infinite for that reason. All we know is that universe is much bigger than the observable universe. Well then there's also this theory that universe is actually very small shaped like a football with mirrors creating an illusion of infinite space.

Well actually einstein first added a constant (cosmological constant, nowadays taken to represent dark energy funnily enough) so that his proposed universe could be stable and infinite. Calculations however showed that it would not be stable. Its what Einstein has called his biggest error.

Anyhow, the big bang theory is well established. The cosmic microwave background radiation gives what is extremely close to proof.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

princeofcarthage wrote:Sigh, and we all wonder why Chineese are taking up the world now. I am bored to explain that in detail but you should really search or re-read your class 4, class 7 n class 8 books to know how different they really are :P

But they're related and proportional things.

Matter is "anything which takes up space and has mass" and mass is "the measure of matter."

I'm just saying the conservation of energy is akin to saying the conservation of mass which is akin to saying the conservation of matter.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Yeah I don't know what those terms mean
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:

But they're related and proportional things.

Matter is "anything which takes up space and has mass" and mass is "the measure of matter."

I'm just saying the conservation of energy is akin to saying the conservation of mass which is akin to saying the conservation of matter.

Well, but that's not really true? That's kinda the problem, isn't it? Or well, the part that conservation of energy is akin to conservation of mass, because the latter is a specific case of the former basically. Energy is conserved for example when an electron and positron particle colide while mass is not.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Did some googling.

God physics is a shit fest.

I get it now, more or less.

"Mass" has two different definitions between Newtonian and relativistic physics. Everything is straight forward with Newton, but in SR I guess total mass, M, of a system is a function of the total energy of a system and the 3 (or 4?) dimension momentum vectors of the system. (And I guess this is just invariant mass, the same for all observers in all frames, but there is also a mass called relativistic mass which is dependent on the velocity of the observer?) Total invariant mass, by this definition, still must be conserved, but it is more a function. So in annihilation, where matter seemingly disintegrates (I guess), total mass, M, is yet conserved because the matter becomes photon momentum. In that way, mass is not strictly matter. My mistake was to assume the Newtonian definition of mass and substitute it into a SR equation and then talk out of my ass like a circus mule.

I must have forgotten to read my class 4, 7, and 8 textbooks!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

everyone here is wrong but im too lazy to explain why, if you're really interested youll get a phd in physics and than ill talk to you about it