I don't get it

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

I don't get it

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: I don't get it

Post by fightinfrenchman »

kami_ryu wrote:alcohol? what does it do to the brain at a physiological level?

it's as if drunk people end up having their emotions unleashed. what is emotion though?

I mean it should just be a chemical reaction in our brains, right? but it's more than that. since brains are all we are, it's everything we are. so being drunk (or high?) brings us to our full selves?

why is the sober person stoic?

I'm not a biologist (@evilcheadar can help with this) but I know that it decreases your inhibition, so it stops the thing in your brain that stops obviously bad ideas (such as texting your ex) so you do what you really "want" to do, even if it's not in your best interest and you know that. All emotions are a chemical reaction, but other chemicals can change how you act on them pretty easily
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

i don't know if i can drunk tank other moderators
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:alcohol? what does it do to the brain at a physiological level?

it's as if drunk people end up having their emotions unleashed. what is emotion though?

I mean it should just be a chemical reaction in our brains, right? but it's more than that. since brains are all we are, it's everything we are. so being drunk (or high?) brings us to our full selves?

why is the sober person stoic?

I'm not a biologist (@evilcheadar can help with this) but I know that it decreases your inhibition, so it stops the thing in your brain that stops obviously bad ideas (such as texting your ex) so you do what you really "want" to do, even if it's not in your best interest and you know that. All emotions are a chemical reaction, but other chemicals can change how you act on them pretty easily

And if you're about to dispute something I said just know I'm drunk and I know I'm drunk, so don't be a bish about it :ear: :salt:
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yeah I've thought about this a little bit before. Social normalness is an instinctual, survival benefit. We suppress our more intimate emotions in daily discourse because we are less familiar with strangers and our sober minds stay stoic because it is preferred. This isn't necessarily our truest "self." In fact it's entirely normal and not unique behavior at all.

When we consume substances which alter our mindset and mannerisms, when we do this in familiar, comfortable company we essentially lose the ability and the awareness to exercise that instinctual filter and gain perhaps a willingness to disclose what is closer to our "truest self." We want to share ourselves. As a result our more intimate emotions are more vulnerable and if there isn't an alternative outlet for those emotions you might see them slip out. Not coincidentally this is why people partake in substance consumption communally. It allows for a significant bonding experience when both parties are missing their filter. Nothing quite turns you off alcohol as being around a very drunk person while sober. Nothing quite turns you on to alcohol as being very drunk with other people.

There's something slightly liberating about saying those things in the moment, less so when your filter is back and working, but in a way I find it personally informative and valuable. At the very least, an interesting human expression. Transgressions can occur under alcohol's influence. These too are a part of ourselves.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

You are correct :)

Well, we already knew each other and got to know each other more. That's crucial.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

kami_ryu wrote:am I not?

You are! I was being genuine.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --