Winning Silver and Sportsmanship

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Winning Silver and Sportsmanship

Post by Cometk »

http://time.com/5170424/canadian-takes- ... -olympics/

The Canadian women’s hockey team just had to settle for silver, but one player couldn’t keep it around her neck.

Team USA defeated its longtime archrival Canada 3-2 in a tension-packed tiebreaker shootout on Thursday. Some Canadian hockey players wept, but the loss was especially crushing for Jocelyne Larocque. After the post-game ceremony, defense powerhouse Larocque could only stand to look at the silver draped around her neck for a few seconds before she yanked it off and held it in her hands.

“It’s just hard,” the 2014 Sochi gold medalist said after the event. “You work so hard. We wanted gold but didn’t get it.”

[video=32]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFulXfOXIdc[/video]

[spoiler=some of the responses]Image
Image[/spoiler]
what do y'all think? display of a competitive attitude and the fighting spirit? or unsportsmanlike conduct?
France Maxiilos_v2
Crossbow
ESO: Maxiilos_v2

Re: Winning Silver and Sportsmanship

Post by Maxiilos_v2 »

I think she's just disappointed, she didn't want to draw attention on her at all.
I can understand that, it's not like she thrown the silver medal on the floor.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

it's both. understandable, but not the behaviour you'd like to see. it's not too serious though, as far as losing tantrums go, there have been way worse.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Can't wait for Twitter to go bankrupt and Facebook to be regulated into oblivion. Then all these moralising hyenas and jackals will lose a platform where they pass judgement all day without them accomplishing much in their lives.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:Can't wait for Twitter to go bankrupt and Facebook to be regulated into oblivion. Then all these moralising hyenas and jackals will lose a platform where they pass judgement all day without them accomplishing much in their lives.

Oh the irony. :roll:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I didn't start this, I wasn't the one who started telling them what they should do, until they started "regulating" other people's lives via social media. That's the difference.
Do we allow this?

What do (((we))) feel about this?

Is this racist?

Maybe she's secretly anti-gay and opposes the rights of kids to identify as two-spirited attack helicopters

She's probably pro-Trump too

We, the Social Media Moralising Brigade gotta do something, we need to decide whether she should be :thumbdown: or :thumbup:
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

that shit's irrelevant to the op man
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Lol what a spoiled brat. She even got gold last time. Learn from Starcraft's soO, who has 7 silvers and 0 golds, and manages to not disrespect everyone who worked just as hard as him but got worse results than silver.
Bavaria j_t_kirk
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
ESO: j_t_kirk

Post by j_t_kirk »

I don't see the problem. Every football player would do the same after a lost final.
ImageImageImage
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I was going to post a story of my own poor sportsmanship but then I realized, "Why would I do that?"

Anyways this is a trifle. As far as acts of frustration and loss at the world's highest competitive level go, this is pretty tame. After a high school basketball match one of my teammates (and good friend) punched a kid sweet goodnight on the other team in the handshake line (hilarious). Rofl at Dolan getting riled up over people voicing their opinions, almost like a presupposed regulator of... peoples' expressions... like a policing agent of thought?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I don't even think this is a debate-worthy subject, tbh. But some people can't contain their self-righteousness on social media. Why would I pass judgement on what she did? Why would you?
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

This is so far away from unsportsmanlike behavior
r]
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Well, it kinda depends on how the game went. If my team was the favorite but I didn't manage to prove it I would be pissed off as well. Considering the rivalry (I assume) between the two teams I think you can't make an agument for respect here.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Dolan wrote:I don't even think this is a debate-worthy subject, tbh. But some people can't contain their self-righteousness on social media. Why would I pass judgement on what she did? Why would you?

Why would you care if it's so seemingly dumb?

Some people can't contain their self righteousness over renouncing others' alleged self righteousness :hmm:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

And who is going to stop them, if they're not self-aware?

I'm starting to realise Aristotle was right. Some people are born with a slave mentality. They have to constantly measure their lives against others'. Freedom is too much of a burden for them to carry. They have to somehow cling to other people's lives, constantly commenting on them, shit, making a career out of it.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Garja wrote:... you can't make an argument for respect here.

That is so wrong, if you can't control your impulses you can't show sportsmanship.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:And who is going to stop them, if they're not self-aware?

I'm starting to realise Aristotle was right. Some people are born with a slave mentality. They have to constantly measure their lives against others'. Freedom is too much of a burden for them to carry. They have to somehow cling to other people's lives, constantly commenting on them, shit, making a career out of it.
Easy there tiger. Following and commenting on news, especially sports, is a form of entertainment. You may be reading into it a little too much. Dare I call projection?
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

Slightly disrespecting the Olympic spirit!
[Sith] - Baphomet
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:Easy there tiger. Following and commenting on news, especially sports, is a form of entertainment. You may be reading into it a little too much. Dare I call projection?

Commenting on news? Sure, sports? Sure. Commenting on what some notable people are doing everyday, just for the sake of signalling how much better you are for passing judgement? Pathetic, imo.

Those people should get that silver medal first then comment.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Lol
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Ashvin wrote:
Garja wrote:... you can't make an argument for respect here.

That is so wrong, if you can't control your impulses you can't show sportsmanship.

What's sportmanship?
She did that on purpose but without making up a show, which is the relevant thing here. She is free to think what she wants, including being upset about the resupt of the match.
Image Image Image
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Wait this is behavior far from that, but I was just saying in general. She did nothing wrong tbh.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Meanwhile some people applaud some American football players for not standing up while their anthem plays. And the Twitter Moral Brigade says that's totally fine, there's no sign of disrespect there.

But if a girl takes her medal off because she's unhappy with the result, then that's such a show of disrespect, says the same social media moral brigade.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I dont know the background for this clip, and I am not in to hockey :P . That said, if they where favorits, going for gold, of corse silver is a downturn. These ppl have spent their best years, training, compeating and being focused at winning. Losing a final, when you where hoping for the gold, Yeah - I can understand that feeling.
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Dolan wrote:Meanwhile some people applaud some American football players for not standing up while their anthem plays. And the Twitter Moral Brigade says that's totally fine, there's no sign of disrespect there.

But if a girl takes her medal off because she's unhappy with the result, then that's such a show of disrespect, says the same social media moral brigade.

Jesus3, dude. It's just a conversation (and two entirely different and unrelated topics of interest).

Something's got your rustles jimmied, if I can make that observation.

But, so be it!