2018 Game you are most hyped for?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

Which game are you most hyped for?

Anthem
3%
Anno 1800
10%
Crackdown 3
No votes
Cyberpunk 2077
8%
Darksiders III
3%
Detroit: Become Human
No votes
Far Cry 5
13%
Ghosts of Tsushima
No votes
God of War
3%
Jurassic world evolution
No votes
Left alive
No votes
Metro: Exodus
8%
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
3%
Red dead Redemption 2
15%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
3%
Skull and Bones
No votes
Spiderman
5%
State of Decay 2
No votes
The Crew 2
3%
The Last of Us Part 2
15%
Total war: Three Kingdoms
3%
Total war Saga: Thrones of Britannia
8%
Tropico 6
No votes
Vampyr
No votes

Total votes: 39

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

2018 Game you are most hyped for?

Post by princeofcarthage »

Total numbers nearing almost 50 high profile releases this year and some surprises which may come along the way, this year surely has something for every gamer and is definitely going to put a hole in the pocket, big time! Vote for your most anticipated game and let us know why you like it in the comments below! Also tell us if we missed any game!

3 votes per user!

Edit 1: added Anno 1800
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: 2018 Game you are most hyped for?

Post by momuuu »

http://www.ashen-game.com

Edit: supposedly a souls-like game. I usually dont like games being copies of others, but the dark souls series simply introduced imo the best approach towards an rpg combat system possible. Any other attempt is simply disappointing. The timing based combat where rolling to dodge attacks is crucial is so enjoyable, and ashen seems to have this sort of combat. I hope they can add a lot of unique and refreshing content to back up a good combat system, as then I will enjoy it a lot.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Otherwise, anthem looks pretty enjoyable and the last of us was apperantly very good so I might play both that one and the last of us part two. Skull and bones could be good, might try it.

I must say I feel like almost all games being released nowadays are either extremely flashy action games with meh gameplay or some weird indie games. Over the last few years I feel like there are 1-2 actually great games released every year while the rest seems somewhat mediocre.
Retired Contributor

1-2 every year? Probably not, there were some brilliant games like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the shogun, a stealth masterpiece, it holds 96% rating on steam, but these genres have very limited fan-base and they often don't get the same hype as AAA games get. If you are saying of the AAA/hyped releases then probably yes 1-2 maybe 3-4 games are probably good, but the games which often go unnoticed or don't receive the same hype as EA or Ubisoft games, there are probably quite a good amount of great games
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

princeofcarthage wrote:1-2 every year? Probably not, there were some brilliant games like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the shogun, a stealth masterpiece, it holds 96% rating on steam, but these genres have very limited fan-base and they often don't get the same hype as AAA games get. If you are saying of the AAA/hyped releases then probably yes 1-2 maybe 3-4 games are probably good, but the games which often go unnoticed or don't receive the same hype as EA or Ubisoft games, there are probably quite a good amount of great games

Its funny that the first post I made was about a relatively unknown game really. Just within the scope of what a person likes, theres just a handful of games that end up really grabbing you. For me, there have only been ~5-6 good games released in the past 3 years that I really enjoyed playing (dark souls 3, the witcher 3, cities skylines, rocket league, overwatch).

There are indeed smaller titles that are good, but they are smaller titles in every regard. A small story, funny gameplay for the first part, but in the end not games that keep me hooked for hundreds of hours.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Post by DerMaxinator »

What about Anno 1800? ;D
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Retired Contributor

Yeah but a game isn't great just because it can keep you hooked up for 100+hours, considering that's only possible in endless simulators and open world games. Story game driven games end when their story ends or mission based games when you complete all levels. Then there's the possibility that there is game from an genre you don't like/play. Well it's your opinion in the end. I did enjoy quite a few games though like Witcher 3, Tyranny, Total war Rome II, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and punishments, Rise of the tomb raider, Deus Ex: Mankind divided, Cities skylines, Assassins creed Origins, Pillars of eternity and probably a couple more I don't remember
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Rome Total War II was an insult to all fans when they released it
r]
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

princeofcarthage wrote:Yeah but a game isn't great just because it can keep you hooked up for 100+hours, considering that's only possible in endless simulators and open world games. Story game driven games end when their story ends or mission based games when you complete all levels. Then there's the possibility that there is game from an genre you don't like/play. Well it's your opinion in the end. I did enjoy quite a few games though like Witcher 3, Tyranny, Total war Rome II, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and punishments, Rise of the tomb raider, Deus Ex: Mankind divided, Cities skylines, Assassins creed Origins, Pillars of eternity and probably a couple more I don't remember

Well, total war rome 2 is from 2013 for example, so you actually mentioned 9 games for 4 years, just above 2 good games per year. I often download games and try them out, but rarely are there games that I do buy or get really excited about.

Dark souls 1, one of my favorite games ever, is actually quite limited in terms of world. A good player completes the game, without speedrunning too much, in about 15 hours. That being said, Ive completed the game ten times easily, and the first time playing it is an insane experience.

It was just an observation anyways. Yes there are some good games, but compared to the massive amount of games being made its disappointing. Actually its mostly that theres not one game from 2017 that I ended up liking, so Im kinda disappointed about that. Sequals, ripoffs and just yearly games that are the same game (looking at you fifa) together with very small indie games dominate the gaming industry. Id rather have a few more great games being released than companies stacking mediocre/flashy attempt upon attempt for a quick money grab.

Again, theres gems out there. I just cant find many at all.
Retired Contributor

Well there was Assassins creed Origins, probably the best AC game after ACII/brotherhood in one of the most visually satisfying graphical settings, Horizon zero dawn, Uncharted lost legacy, design wise most innovative was probably Nier automata, and quite a few more, and to be fair I have missed up atleast 10 games from my library which I really liked and played multiple times, I can already see shadow tactics missing from that list, I would say my avg is I like 4-6 games really great on yearly basis but probably that's because I like to play from vast genre's and really like digging up those games forgotten on steam's database
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Gichtenlord wrote:Rome Total War II was an insult to all fans when they released it

it has gone a long way since then. Also i reccommend trying out the divide et impera mod. Elevates the game to a completly new level.

My Favourite is Europa Universalis IV
also pretty hyped for Cyberpunk. Not really my setting but its from CP Project so ill buy it.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Im very hyped for anno 1800. Wouldnt mind aoe4 to gain some similarities recource wise to anno games in general.

anno game to me:
warning you have been playing 8 hours now, you must take a break
:uglylol:
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Germany Carnage
Musketeer

Post by Carnage »

empires apart ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

Post by CelticCrusader »

No Bannerlord ? Thats the only game I am hyped for. (if they manage to release it this year lol )
European Union KoenigRother
Skirmisher
ESO: Darky_soocer

Post by KoenigRother »

ancestors legacy ?
notoric treehugger
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Super Smash Bros. for Switch
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

1. Cyberpunk 2077
2. RDR 2
3. Farcry 5
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Somewhere along life I lost all interest for games that aren't aoe3
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Has it always been a thing for people to play many games, or is it a new culture introduced by Steam? I personally have almost always played only one game at a time.
Pay more attention to detail.
Retired Contributor

I would probably rarely see people playing multiple games at same times which are story driven, like playing AC:O and GR:W at same time but probably playing CS:GO and AC:O at same time has always been a thing, I have a right now 4-5 games and one of them is 2 years old which I haven't still touched because I was always playing other games!
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I think it's more an online multiplayer phenomenon.

I'm thinking back to when I was a kid. I had many games for N64, game boy, PlayStation, and I played them all quite a bit. Online multiplayer was still in its infancy and video games we're single player, co op campaigns. There isn't a huge amount of replay ability after you beat a campaign.

Playing vs. real people is more fun, encourages competitiveness, practice to become better, and replay ability. I think a lot of people tend to focus on one multiplayer game or franchise to be competitive in and still branch out when big AAA single player titles come around.

I do enjoy AAA RPGs but they're on like 6 year cycles.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

princeofcarthage wrote:I would probably rarely see people playing multiple games at same times which are story driven, like playing AC:O and GR:W at same time but probably playing CS:GO and AC:O at same time has always been a thing, I have a right now 4-5 games and one of them is 2 years old which I haven't still touched because I was always playing other games!
csgo is a great game
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Gendarme wrote:Has it always been a thing for people to play many games, or is it a new culture introduced by Steam? I personally have almost always played only one game at a time.

I basically hop from game to game, interest usually ends up shifting and I get bored by the game I am playing and motivated to play another one. If I wouldn't get bored from a game then life would be much easier I guess.

But like others said, even before steam people played a plethora of games.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think it’s largely a steam thing. When I was younger and playing on the GameCube/ ps2/ Xbox 360 me and my friends got a new game every few weeks to a month. Now with steam( plus my financial resources are much more considerable than they were when I was in middle school) it’s much easier to get new games.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:I think it’s largely a steam thing. When I was younger and playing on the GameCube/ ps2/ Xbox 360 me and my friends got a new game every few weeks to a month. Now with steam( plus my financial resources are much more considerable than they were when I was in middle school) it’s much easier to get new games.

A new game every few weeks sounds like it is a lot though. I don't think the average gamer really does seriously play a new game every few weeks.