Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

Post by deleted_user »

One of Uber's autonomous vehicles in their self-driving program, which tests in four cities, has struck and killed a pedestrian. The vehicle was confirmed to be in autonomous mode at the time of the accident and with a human safety driver behind the wheel. Uber has since suspended all self-driving vehicles.

What do you think are the complications in this forthcoming development? It seems almost like an inevitable fruition of technology, but we are human and humans only like to be killed by other humans, not by (human generated) computer programs.

The death is tragic and I will make sure to make many Uber jokes from here on out each time I cross the street. IMO, if the program is still safer than humans behind the wheel, considering the average, I yet struggle with the concept. I'd never drive an autonomous vehicle myself, but perhaps I could learn to be pacified if some are on the street. It appears it can be boiled down into a similar argument as gun control -- safety of the average over the individual. Then, my liberal brethren, opposed to gun rights, who also might denounce self-driving technologies, why? How lucky are you feeling today, tomorrow?

Unsurprisingly, California has (previous to this incident) given the go ahead for self-driving cars to be tested absent any human driver in April of this year.

Thoughts?

I'm awfully curious of the technical failings which must have occurred for this to happen. How do these softwares work? What went wrong? It's possible the fault was not in the technology but in its specific implementation? This won't be forgotten though, and can tarnish the entire industry.
No Flag bigsmoke
Skirmisher
ESO: Yvan_Le_Bon

Re: Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

Post by bigsmoke »

'human safety driver behind the wheel'

Maybe asleep at the wheel? Should be charged with manslaughter. Not even a technical failing at this point seeing as the driver let this happen.
~~ pecelot rip ~~
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

bigsmoke wrote:'human safety driver behind the wheel'

Maybe asleep at the wheel? Should be charged with manslaughter. Not even a technical failing at this point seeing as the driver let this happen.

It's the definition of a technical failure...
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

The fact that this is news shows how safe self-driving cars are, and they will continue to get safer the more that are on the road. Automation, much like globalization, is an inevitable force, and a positive one at that. Trying to prevent or slow it is just ignoring reality. In the somewhat distant future (50-100 years) humans driving will be illegal and be seen as a barbaricly stupid and dangerous thing we used to do.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Ok
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

need to see more statistics on the overall safety of these self-driving cars but as is my impression automated cars are still safer than regular drivers despite this 1 death
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

lol yeah because 1 in 1000 trips ends up being a car incident I shouldn't be able to get behind the wheel :maniac:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I say it wash murder. Firsht human cashualty in the many warsh against the ai still to come
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

It's the Rise of the Machines!

United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I want to know more about the circumstances of this accident.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

lejend wrote:Self-driving cars have always been a scam meant to increase government control over society. As these cars become more common, regular cars will probably be criminalized in a lot of countries, most likely under the guise of "public safety" or combating "climate change." 20 years from now, if you're a political dissident on the run from the government, FSB will just remotely stop your vehicle and lock you up.

ahhhhahahahahahahahaha
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

The human was not crossing the street at a pedestrian crossing. (according to my sources)
[Sith] - Baphomet
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

lejend oos
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

lejend wrote:Self-driving cars have always been a scam meant to increase government control over society. As these cars become more common, regular cars will probably be criminalized in a lot of countries, most likely under the guise of "public safety" or combating "climate change." 20 years from now, if you're a political dissident on the run from the government, FSB will just remotely stop your vehicle and lock you up.

You are good, but you will never be a better troll than @tedere12
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Snuden wrote:The human was not crossing the street at a pedestrian crossing. (according to my sources)

If every self driving car would kill anyone who doesn't cross the road at a pedestrian crossing... That's barely an excuse.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

yemshi wrote:
Snuden wrote:The human was not crossing the street at a pedestrian crossing. (according to my sources)

If every self driving car would kill anyone who doesn't cross the road at a pedestrian crossing... That's barely an excuse.

lolol... it's not an excuse but rather a statement indicating that something could be wrong with the software!
[Sith] - Baphomet
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

It’s a matter of time when the technology get better and fix these things, maybe they will implement something like heat detector cameras which recognizes moving things around so it doesn’t roll over every living thing in the Car's way.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Googol wrote:It’s a matter of time when the technology get better and fix these things, maybe they will implement something like heat detector cameras which recognizes moving things around so it doesn’t roll over every living thing in the Car's way.

They can already recognize moving things even if they aren't where they're "supposed" to be.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger

Post by Snuden »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Googol wrote:It’s a matter of time when the technology get better and fix these things, maybe they will implement something like heat detector cameras which recognizes moving things around so it doesn’t roll over every living thing in the Car's way.

They can already recognize moving things even if they aren't where they're "supposed" to be.

Obviously not good enough (yet)
[Sith] - Baphomet
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor

Post by Googol »

fightinfrenchman wrote:

Good so they can keep improving it from now on, so it doesn’t happen again.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Snuden wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

Obviously not good enough (yet)

Let's wait and see the results of an investigation
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Snuden wrote:
yemshi wrote:

lolol... it's not an excuse but rather a statement indicating that something could be wrong with the software!

Figured that one a little late, yeh.