Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Re: Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

Post by yemshi »

Snuden wrote:
yemshi wrote:
Snuden wrote:The human was not crossing the street at a pedestrian crossing. (according to my sources)

If every self driving car would kill anyone who doesn't cross the road at a pedestrian crossing... That's barely an excuse.

lolol... it's not an excuse but rather a statement indicating that something could be wrong with the software!

Figured that one out a little late, yeh.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

It's impossible to draw any conclusions. If a human jumps in front of a car so close that the car cannot even break in time given it's breaking capabilities, then this isn't even news. If however the detection system failed and the human was loafing on the job, then that's a different story. Given the released news though, I suspect this case is closest to my first statement: neither AI nor human could have prevented this accident.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Snuden wrote:The human was not crossing the street at a pedestrian crossing. (according to my sources)

If cars start killing people for that reason, there will be a genocide here in Brazil

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Jaywalking should be punishable by death
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Gotta love how you guys have a word specifically for that.
We just call it crossing hehe

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

lejend wrote:Self-driving cars have always been a scam meant to increase government control over society. As these cars become more common, regular cars will probably be criminalized in a lot of countries, most likely under the guise of "public safety" or combating "climate change." 20 years from now, if you're a political dissident on the run from the government, FSB will just remotely stop your vehicle and lock you up.
It's this kind of stuff that makes me still think you might be a troll
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I think it's pretty legit concern, whether he is serious or not.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

lejend wrote:Google each line and you'll get hundreds of thousands of hits from mainstream media outlets.

Those are all fake news though
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

lejend wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
lejend wrote:Self-driving cars have always been a scam meant to increase government control over society. As these cars become more common, regular cars will probably be criminalized in a lot of countries, most likely under the guise of "public safety" or combating "climate change." 20 years from now, if you're a political dissident on the run from the government, FSB will just remotely stop your vehicle and lock you up.

What kind of stuff? What do you disagree with?

That self-driving cars will record your travel itinerary? That government can and will access it when needed?

That self-driving cars could be banned from heading into certain areas, such as sites of anti-government or other rallies?

That self-driving cars can be remotely stopped in "emergencies"?

That normal cars could be criminalized or taxed into oblivion?

That autonomous transportation is every repressive government agent's wet dream?

These are hardly paranoid conspiracy theories. They've been talked about by privacy advocates and law enforcement for years now. Google each line and you'll get hundreds of thousands of hits from mainstream media outlets.

All these problems would be resolved if you put autonomous vehicles on the blockchain*

*this is actually true
duck
:mds:
imo
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Someone said blockchain. I am here.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

lejend wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
That self-driving cars are a scam meant to increase government control over society. I don't just disagree with it, I think it's beyond delusional. Self-driving cars are an obvious market movement based on massive demand.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:]That self-driving cars are a scam meant to increase government control over society. I don't just disagree with it, I think it's beyond delusional. Self-driving cars are an obvious market movement based on massive demand.

You're not taking into account all the freedoms human driving gives us, like freedom from free time due to long commutes or freedom from life when people run into each other.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Goodspeed wrote:
lejend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
That self-driving cars are a scam meant to increase government control over society. I don't just disagree with it, I think it's beyond delusional. Self-driving cars are an obvious market movement based on massive demand.

Although what he said is not the cause for self driving cars, it is the probable consequence of a world where self driving cars are dominant

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

macacoalbino wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Although what he said is not the cause for self driving cars, it is the probable consequence of a world where self driving cars are dominant
Self-driving cars have always been a scam meant to increase government control over society.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

@Goodspeed massive demand?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

macacoalbino wrote:It's the Rise of the Machines!

Rise of the Rajas
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah

Post by macacoalbino »

Goodspeed wrote:
macacoalbino wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Self-driving cars have always been a scam meant to increase government control over society.

You know what I said, come on, you're smart

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

He's not smart, he's Mart!

Silly, silly...
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

macacoalbino wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You know what I said, come on, you're smart
My point is that yes he did comment on the cause, and that's what I responded to. He's not wrong about potential consequences.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:@Goodspeed massive demand?
Yes?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Most accidents happen because the driver was not paying attention/was doing something stupid. Technology imo only needs to complement human drivers on the road with safety features like automatic braking/anti collision systems/air bags for pedestrians/sleepy driver recognition. There are actually quite a lot of these, the problem is that as of right now many of these are still expensive optionals when you want to buy a new car. They should be implemented in every car in the future, even in the basic versions. We don't need AI drivers imo.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

of course there's massive demand guys, this can do the work of huge amounts of money in decongesting cities and reducing the need for traffic control. it can also save many a square mile of space by then time the vehicles become shared and parking space is economised. just cause you dont think you want it or people are asking for it, doesnt mean there's no massive demand from the planet and from the economics
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

hmm this wouldve been no issue at all if the failure did not came so early. if we all had self driving cars yet no one would give a fuck about it id say. but since theres just a few of them yet it might really destroy the work of billions of dollars
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP