Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Re: Self Driving Car Kills Pedestrian

Post by matty1248 »

well the story itself is just a nonsense, its like saying that crypto is flawed because its currently over inflated. Just the media making a story for people who have no vision or understanding of technology about them whatsoever, who dont understand that the planet is entirely trashed and we cant continue in the same vein.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

matty1248 wrote:of course there's massive demand guys, this can do the work of huge amounts of money in decongesting cities and reducing the need for traffic control. it can also save many a square mile of space by then time the vehicles become shared and parking space is economised. just cause you dont think you want it or people are asking for it, doesnt mean there's no massive demand from the planet and from the economics

Car sharing is already a thing in big cities, you don't need AI drivers for that. Also, public transport should be improved rather than investing all these money in something that is not really needed and it would also make millions of people lose their job. Many people like to drive a car, and they would not prefer to have their car driven by an AI. If you don't like to drive a car you should be able to rely on more efficient pubpic transport. AI drivers imo is the expression of an excess of capitalism.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

matty1248 wrote:well the story itself is just a nonsense, its like saying that crypto is flawed because its currently over inflated. Just the media making a story for people who have no vision or understanding of technology about them whatsoever, who dont understand that the planet is entirely trashed and we cant continue in the same vein.

Are you likening autonomous vehicles with significant greenhouse gas reduction, or climate change reversal? Or maybe I'm confused. Like usual, I find far-fetching analogies not really relevant, as a woman's death is not really like crypto value volatilization. I agree we should wait for event analysis before making any particular conclusion, but this thread is meant as more of an overarching discussion of the technology and its potential consequences.
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

car sharing by computers, where computers can optimise the car to be in use for every minute of the day, and the programme works out how much excess parking is required overnight which is the only time the vehicles need parked. technology must also allow for these vehicles to be entirely self-cleaning of course. its significantly better than people sharing within the limited pool of their friends and co-workers. i mean... what you say is equivelant to saying computers had no purpose 30 yrs ago
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

yes Callen, of course its an environmentally beneficial technology. it's not exactly far reaching, its the very foundation of why its a good idea. did you not get past the part of thinking about whether you like driving or not?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

deleted_user wrote:
matty1248 wrote:well the story itself is just a nonsense, its like saying that crypto is flawed because its currently over inflated. Just the media making a story for people who have no vision or understanding of technology about them whatsoever, who dont understand that the planet is entirely trashed and we cant continue in the same vein.

Are you likening autonomous vehicles with significant greenhouse gas reduction, or climate change reversal? Or maybe I'm confused. Like usual, I find far-fetching analogies not really relevant, as a woman's death is not really like crypto value volatilization. I agree we should wait for event analysis before making any particular conclusion, but this thread is meant as more of an overarching discussion of the technology and its potential consequences.

I think he is, and i don't find there to be a relevant correlation between pollution and AI drivers. Therefore I also don't think that this is the right way to go about the issue. There are tons of ways to reduce pollution but i don't think it's relevant to the thread.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

matty1248 wrote:car sharing by computers, where computers can optimise the car to be in use for every minute of the day, and the programme works out how much excess parking is required overnight which is the only time the vehicles need parked. technology must also allow for these vehicles to be entirely self-cleaning of course. its significantly better than people sharing within the limited pool of their friends and co-workers. i mean... what you say is equivelant to saying computers had no purpose 30 yrs ago

Again, this false equivalency you're pulling out of nowhere... "what you're saying..." No, I never mentioned computers from 30 years ago! I am saying nothing of the sort!

There is a lot of use for autonomous vehicles in terms of safety and efficient transportation, revolutionizing a 3.5+ million worker industry with even greater outreach.

There is no reason software can't already be incorporated to determine optimal carpool routes, parking, etc. Modern vehicles are computer machines, really. The aim of driver-less driving is strictly to get something better than a human to do it, in terms of economy and safety. A person died, so one of those aspects is under review. It's hardly nothing to be concerned about, just as much as it's hardly a sufficient reason to discredit the technology altogether.

I imagine the marginal increases in fuel economy to be insignificant, especially compared to alternatives like public transportation and electric vehicles.
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

i mean... you obviously like better to talk than to seek to understand.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

matty1248 wrote:i mean... you obviously like better to talk than to seek to understand.

Where there is disconnect between meaning and interpretation there should be an effort to connect the two, no?

I am expressing a difficulty in the interpretation. Do you care to elaborate what you mean? And perhaps we can come to an understanding.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

matty1248 wrote:i mean... you obviously like better to talk than to seek to understand.

You haven't actually brought anything to the discussion that correlates environment and self driving cars yet. To be honest an argument could be made against self driving cars if you care about the environment: more technology means more energy consumpion, which translates directly in an increase in fuel consumption. Looks like i found one more reason no to like self driving cars :flowers:
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
European Union matty1248
Crossbow

Post by matty1248 »

in truth i don't care to elaborate, i care for people who think for themselves rather than just trying to climb some illusory social ladder through making cute or entirely superficial comment. i care for people who would already share some aspects of my understanding and would help to build on it or correct it. the link with the environment couldn't be more clear and its very well documented. i am not here to educate, rather i hope to find people with a common understanding to mine, but i realise its not really the place for in depth debate of any kind
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

matty1248 wrote:in truth i don't care to elaborate, i care for people who think for themselves rather than just trying to climb some illusory social ladder through making cute or entirely superficial comment. i care for people who would already share some aspects of my understanding and would help to build on it or correct it. the link with the environment couldn't be more clear and its very well documented. i am not here to educate, rather i hope to find people with a common understanding to mine, but i realise its not really the place for in depth debate of any kind

This is a strange understanding to come to but it appears we've come to it. You accuse a misconstruction and then do nothing to attempt to right it. Thank you and good day!

(((Social))) Ladder climbing!
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

matty1248 wrote:in truth i don't care to elaborate, i care for people who think for themselves rather than just trying to climb some illusory social ladder through making cute or entirely superficial comment. i care for people who would already share some aspects of my understanding and would help to build on it or correct it. the link with the environment couldn't be more clear and its very well documented. i am not here to educate, rather i hope to find people with a common understanding to mine, but i realise its not really the place for in depth debate of any kind

I always thought that vastly increasing the capacity of the roads - because all selfdriving AIs would be able to communicate with eachother directly - was the main benefit of selfdriving cars.

Its also of course ridiculous to call one accident a disaster for self driving cars. On daily basis there are humans driving cars that completely fail to see me in the traffic, I cant imagine a selfdriving car actually doing worse. And that being said, its more likely that this accident was not preventable anyways.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:I imagine the marginal increases in fuel economy to be insignificant, especially compared to alternatives like public transportation and electric vehicles.
It's not insignificant. Especially if the majority of cars are self-driving, fuel efficiency could be significantly improved.

But yes the primary benefits are time profit (I personally would win about 3 hours a day) and safety.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

What I mean is that the car industry as a whole should be moving away from fossil fuels. In that sense, there is not much to be gained from economy differences in renewable types.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Oh it's out there. What government, even? This is a global trend..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Sometimes I wonder why you would try to make a serious point in a thread like this. It's all being monitored and redacted by the evil government anyways.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

You're a troll
EDIT: And quite likely a smurf as well
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

The car doesn't need to be fully automated to improve safety so I don't see how it's fair to say that self-driving cars will become the standard and people won't be allowed to drive themselves. More than likely the accident avoidance systems will become a standard safety feature with autonomous driving as a pricey option.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

-
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gamevideo113 wrote:

You're a troll
EDIT: And quite likely a smurf as well

Tbh he's making the better points by an extremely large margin. It's just that you haven't bothered to read up on the facts or have tried to realize the potential of self driving AI. I totally understand matty's attitude here, as truly engaging in this sort of discussion is tiring.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

This to me is, combined with the fact that AI's easily surpass the human driving skill, the biggest advantage of selfdriving cars:

If you realize that all cars can be part of the same network that calculates the entire traffic system while the cars themselves also look out for errors, then a situation like this becomes a viable future. That would drastically improve the traffic situation in many cities.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

That would also be viable today without self-driving cars if only women didn't drive.
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

momuuu wrote:This to me is, combined with the fact that AI's easily surpass the human driving skill, the biggest advantage of selfdriving cars:

If you realize that all cars can be part of the same network that calculates the entire traffic system while the cars themselves also look out for errors, then a situation like this becomes a viable future. That would drastically improve the traffic situation in many cities.
Looks like your average crossroads in India