Why did Arnaud Bertrame give his life to save others? Christianity.

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Why did Arnaud Bertrame give his life to save others? Christianity.

Post by momuuu »

ok
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

This man was selfless and brave and empathetic. He was moved to an act of unasked, intrinsic heroism when life was at it's most demanding. Incredible.

In no way is what I am about to say an attempt to trivialize his actions or his commendable character, it is a commentary on the article.

Bertrame was a practicing Catholic. That's great. What I dislike is the priest's (implicit?) notion that to be good is to be Christian, rather than the idea that to be Christian is to be good, and the two are not mutually exclusive, as it's rather absurd to think one is moral-less without religion. Christianity is first and foremost a religion of selflessness, of helping others less fortunate, of loving enemies (lest we forget its use to justify the opposite). Bertrame's actions were both a reflection of wholesome Christian doctrine and moral and empathetic character, the latter of which is not dependent upon the former.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

In my mind, Iā€™m a bigger hero
No Flag Radix_Lecti
Dragoon

Post by Radix_Lecti »

I disagree with the link you make to the Templars--> crusades as this is a theme championed by the new wave of nationalism across Europe. But the Templars to muslims symbolise deceit, betrayal and gruesome butchering. But I know this Templar theme is becoming more widespread. I think he did his duty but that an agnostic/atheist or muslim police officer would have done the same.

------
So basically im here to take over the baton from iwillspanky, how does this work exactly ? u copy paste long texts from somewhere about christianity and i reply? :P or can we skip most future posts and agree on intelligent design?
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

A few more posts like this and I'll be converted in no time.
Canada DivideNConquer
Crossbow
ESO: DivideNConquer

Post by DivideNConquer »

Confirmation bias at its finest ladies and gentleman.
What Arnaud Beltrame did was of course phenomenal and not many would dare have his courage, but to assume that only humans with christian values would do such a thing is beyond absurd and outright offensive.
When i read the article at the beginning i was surely impressed by what he did,but when the christian propaganda was thrown at my face I immediately remembered this Muslim kid who did something on a similar level and guess what? Many Muslims think that he did that because of the true "Islamic" beliefs that were instilled in him. Confirmation bias at its finest!!! There are heroes from every culture, religion, and race.
Here's the wiki article for the Muslim hero:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aitzaz_Hasan

I'm sure if we look into other nations we'll find similar stories all over. Doesn't matter whether you're a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or an atheist... There are heroes and horrible people everywhere.
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

#whatwouldjesusdo
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Deus vult.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

DivideNConquer wrote:Confirmation bias at its finest ladies and gentleman.
What Arnaud Beltrame did was of course phenomenal and not many would dare have his courage, but to assume that only humans with christian values would do such a thing is beyond absurd and outright offensive.
When i read the article at the beginning i was surely impressed by what he did,but when the christian propaganda was thrown at my face I immediately remembered this Muslim kid who did something on a similar level and guess what? Many Muslims think that he did that because of the true "Islamic" beliefs that were instilled in him. Confirmation bias at its finest!!! There are heroes from every culture, religion, and race.
Here's the wiki article for the Muslim hero:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aitzaz_Hasan

I'm sure if we look into other nations we'll find similar stories all over. Doesn't matter whether you're a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or an atheist... There are heroes and horrible people everywhere.

Lejend is just a racist troll who will smear even great acts of courage and nobility by making it a tool for his troll agenda. He could've just made a thread remembering the victims and honoring the dead, but instead he makes it into a bait thread. Fucking pathetic.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

And you are giving him the win by taking the bait?
PS: Idk what thread is about tl:dr
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

princeofcarthage wrote:And you are giving him the win by taking the bait?
PS: Idk what thread is about tl:dr

Nah taking the bait would be trying to discuss with him. I'm not going to do that. I just expose him for the fraud he is and leave it there.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Nothing like a little lejend to cause me and umeu to agree with each other
Canada DivideNConquer
Crossbow
ESO: DivideNConquer

Post by DivideNConquer »

Sadly I did take the bait. I'll learn to ignore his posts from now on.
Who reads for Peter Hitchens anyways :S