How many Refills

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.

well?

1-3 times
16%
4-22 times
8%
23-45 times
8%
46-78 times
8%
79-83 times
3%
83 times and over
38%
ok
19%

Total votes: 37

United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Re: How many Refills

Post by evilcheadar »

Jerom just set him straight!
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

momuuu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

No, I don't think so. There are sayings like, "Next time I see him, I'm gonna fill him full of lead!" They want to nourish an individual with vitamins, someone who is probably malnourished.

"In 2013 lead is believed to have resulted in 853,000 deaths.[2] It occurs most commonly in the developing world.[2] Those who are poor are at greater risk.[2] Lead is believed to result in 0.6% of the world's disease burden.[5] People have been mining and using lead for thousands of years.[4] Descriptions of lead poisoning date to at least 2000 BC,[4] while efforts to limit lead's use date back to at least the 16th century.[5] Concerns for low levels of exposure begin in the 1970s with there being no safe threshold for lead exposure."

From wikipedia. It seems there is no need to consume any amount of lad, and from what ive read any amount of lead is toxic. They even banned lead from gasoline because supposedly people would be exposed to that lead too much. I cant imagine lead being a healthy thing then.

Well everything is toxic if you have too much
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

momuuu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:
Show hidden quotes

No, I don't think so. There are sayings like, "Next time I see him, I'm gonna fill him full of lead!" They want to nourish an individual with vitamins, someone who is probably malnourished.

"In 2013 lead is believed to have resulted in 853,000 deaths.[2] It occurs most commonly in the developing world.[2] Those who are poor are at greater risk.[2] Lead is believed to result in 0.6% of the world's disease burden.[5] People have been mining and using lead for thousands of years.[4] Descriptions of lead poisoning date to at least 2000 BC,[4] while efforts to limit lead's use date back to at least the 16th century.[5] Concerns for low levels of exposure begin in the 1970s with there being no safe threshold for lead exposure."

From wikipedia. It seems there is no need to consume any amount of lad, and from what ive read any amount of lead is toxic. They even banned lead from gasoline because supposedly people would be exposed to that lead too much. I cant imagine lead being a healthy thing then.
Well my pellets for my pellet gun, back when I was a child, were made of lead and because they were so pointy I'd use them instead of pencils do draw. Also I had an affinity for eating paper, because it tasted good. Usually this was paper I had already written on because eating new paper would have been a waste. I've probably consumed several grams worth of lead in my life, on the low end, and I'm just fine, borderline apex healthy if I may, doctor's comments notwithstanding.

Sure, there may be "studies" which show an "overall and unanimous" negative trend line, but how do I know my specific lead was poisonous? It didn't mean to poison me. My lead was just doing what it thought was best, in the moment. I'm fine now! Even I turned out better because of it, methinks. And don't say I didn't!
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It just doesn't make any sense to me how any essential amino metal can be bad for you. They're natural.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well everything is toxic if you have too much

Lead is literally poisonous at 50 micrograms/dl blood concentration with serious symptoms. Below that, there is probably too little lead in the blood to cause serious symptoms but it will probably still negatively affect the body.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well my pellets for my pellet gun, back when I was a child, were made of lead and because they were so pointy I'd use them instead of pencils do draw. Also I had an affinity for eating paper, because it tasted good. Usually this was paper I had already written on because eating new paper would have been a waste. I've probably consumed several grams worth of lead in my life, on the low end, and I'm just fine, borderline apex healthy if I may, doctor's comments notwithstanding.

Sure, there may be "studies" which show an "overall and unanimous" negative trend line, but how do I know my specific lead was poisonous? It didn't mean to poison me. My lead was just doing what it thought was best, in the moment. I'm fine now! Even I turned out better because of it, methinks. And don't say I didn't!

We are all exposed to lead to some degree. Lead exposure has a negative impact on the developement of a child's brain amongst others.

deleted_user wrote:It just doesn't make any sense to me how any essential amino metal can be bad for you. They're natural.

Lead is not an essential amino metal. If you try to simply google any of these terms you've thrown around you only get internet pages about lead poisoning.

Anyways, you're hopefully 'trolling' but I don't understand how just acting stupid to 'troll' people is funny at all.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I don't believe the "science." They were wrong about smoking!
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

kami_ryu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:I don't believe the "science." They were wrong about smoking!

eh wait what?

First off -- we need to look at the definitions. What exactly is "lead?" I have a feeling everyone is talking about something different here. And what is "bad, toxic, poisonous?" Surely these are subject to some amount of subjectivity.

Second, we all know studies are unreliable and should be taken with a grain of salt. They make any number of assumptions and there are any number of exceptions. Have all the variables been controlled for? It is literally impossible to conclude lead is, itself, by definition, bad. There is a significant correlation, not a definite causation. Really, I've worked with scientific/statistically-sifted studies all throughout my education; they're borderline meaningless. And the correlation? I'm an exception, I know that.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Well I was reading this thread, this farce of a thread, I was reading the thing about lead and the phrase "essential amino metals, like iron" came to me and I thought it was just too funny (such so I repeated it later, even, and now, that's thrice). So I said it. Then I said that thing about "fill you full of lead" really meaning "give you vitamin" to emphasize the joking nature of it. It was good jesting up to there, but I was still somehow getting serious replies with cited scientific studies so I thought it was as good as time as any to draw a parallel to the spanking thread, which I thought was a very entertaining read by the way, and so to draw a parallel I executed a solid study-dismissal + anecdote power-combo, but that seemed to go over a head or two, so I made another, more clear parallel, my previous post, which is nearly all exact or close to exact quotes from users in the spanking thread, but just about lead. Now the two topics aren't exactly similar, I know this, but I got a good kick out of it anyways. What I said sounded a little incredulous, maybe. The spanking thread was a very entertaining read.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Got another refill. Also included a shot of the bottom of the cup to show its still holding up well.
Attachments
4F7B42C4-1843-45CA-AF74-5DF17DE64EE4.jpeg
5D155EE9-71F9-4E48-99E9-6A609467CA3F.jpeg

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

off topic is back
mad cuz bad
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I think this thing, assuming cheadar doesn't sit on it again, will fail by means of bottom straw punch out. How thick is that bottom, what's its resistance to fatigue, how forceful are you with that straw, how sharp is the straw, how stiff? That or a longitudinal crack along the wall from accidental lateral shell strain. Perhaps a weakness will arise from longnitudinal scraping of the straw. The clear plastic top cap helps brace against that possibility but he must sometimes take it off.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I don't really punch the bottom too hard with the straw, but it will touch the bottom as I finish consumption.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Please be careful with it. I want to know how many refills it can survive solely from the wear and tear of the material inside
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

I asked cheadar if he has considered the half-life of styrofoam in this little experiment. He gave me a surprised look but said nothing. I wonder how long an unused cup could last.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I'm predicting structural failure of some sort before any radioactive decay.

Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Just got back from another successful refill mission. Cup looks in good shape but I do see some weird darker blemishes in places. No idea what the consequences are for structural integrity.

Side note: I always walk in with my cup conspicuous such that they know itā€™s a refill and Iā€™m not ā€œtakin emā€™ for a rideā€.
Attachments
A657C61F-1810-4B87-AEEA-6FC0BB32AD2B.jpeg
F0DFF06F-0610-4F25-A55B-764AC1975568.jpeg

Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Just got another refill. Accidentally forgot to tell the cashier that this is a refill and payed full price. Cup still in solid shape.
Attachments
E83558EB-9BCE-4956-851D-27507DD0DF17.jpeg

United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

evilcheadar wrote:Just got another refill. Accidentally forgot to tell the cashier that this is a refill and payed full price. Cup still in solid shape.

Looks darker in the picture.
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Do you tally your cup with each refill, like how killers tally weapons?
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I would tally on the cup, but I donā€™t want to damage it. The latest slushie had a higher concentrate to water ratio it appears.

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Do you recycle the plastic bubble or get a new one each time?