Sports discussion

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Re: Conquerer999 vs Kaiserklein

Post by sirmusket »

VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
sirmusket wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I never said India invented Cricket, learn to read. Bangladesh, Pakistan, SriLanka, South Africa, Australia, England. These are literally the only other countries that play this shit sport.

You still haven't explained why number of countries is a better metric than number of people.

So if there is a sport lets say called (1), and all of Europe plays that sport, 51 countries, 51 cultures, 51 differne't kind of people. And there is a different sport called (2), that only India plays but there is say 1 billion people that play this sport. I wouldn't consider that sport to be "bigger", or "larger" by any means. Even if more people play it. Because it's only 1 country, 1 kind of people. No competition aswell ofc. That's kind of how it is with cricket seeing has India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh make up about 70% of the people who play Cricket.
Not only this but Cricket is just so dull and boring to watch. It's not your fault, you probably have some bogan father that grew up watching Cricket, and thus you did too. It's like a culture thing so I understand why you go defensive about it.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

sirmusket wrote:
VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You still haven't explained why number of countries is a better metric than number of people.

So if there is a sport lets say called (1), and all of Europe plays that sport, 51 countries, 51 cultures, 51 differne't kind of people. And there is a different sport called (2), that only India plays but there is say 1 billion people that play this sport. I wouldn't consider that sport to be "bigger", or "larger" by any means. Even if more people play it. Because it's only 1 country, 1 kind of people. No competition aswell ofc. That's kind of how it is with cricket seeing has India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh make up about 70% of the people who play Cricket.
Not only this but Cricket is just so dull and boring to watch. It's not your fault, you probably have some bogan father that grew up watching Cricket, and thus you did too. It's like a culture thing so I understand why you go defensive about it.

India is a very culturally diverse country, similar to Europe. Different religions, different languages, different culture and practices. Limiting yourself to - at times - arbitrary political borders ignores the cultural similaries / differences that occur within a region. In that measure, I think it would be very interesting to look at cultural diversity in India versus Europe (it may not be as different as you think).

I, personally, don't watch cricket, but I don't presume to tell people what sport is "better" than others when people have subjective preferences for the games they play. It's about as silly as going on a rant about how chocolate is better than vanilla.

Unless you can put together a comprehensive framework as to what makes a sport "good", and then get everybody in the world to agree to it, you're opinion is pretty meaningless.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

No competition with 1 billion people playing a sport EleGiggle everyone in india is the same culture EleGiggle number of people playing a sport doesnt determine how big it is EleGiggle
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
sirmusket wrote:
Show hidden quotes

India is a very culturally diverse country, similar to Europe. Different religions, different languages, different culture and practices.

I, personally, don't watch cricket, but I don't presume to tell people what sport is "better" than others when people have subjective preferences for the games they play. It's about as silly as going on a rant about how chocolate is better than vanilla.

Unless you can put together a comprehensive framework as to what makes a sport "good", and then get everybody in the world to agree to it, you're opinion is pretty meaningless.

They are still all Indians, same people. Religion doesn't define your ethnicity, are you sure you finished uni man?
FIBA World Cup had an audience of only 800 million. Nothing in comparison to 2.5billion that Cricket hosts. But are you seriously going to argue that Cricket is a larger/better/ more played sport. No way, because 171 countries play Basketball and only <8 or so play cricket.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

gibson wrote:No competition with 1 billion people playing a sport EleGiggle everyone in india is the same culture EleGiggle number of people playing a sport doesnt determine how big it is EleGiggle

India can't compete amongst themselves..........., that would be hilarious.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea since there are no imaginary lines in India they are all the same. If we just decided to put imaginary lines in the country though and divided it up into like 20 countries like Europe they would be different and culturally diverse
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

sirmusket wrote:
gibson wrote:No competition with 1 billion people playing a sport EleGiggle everyone in india is the same culture EleGiggle number of people playing a sport doesnt determine how big it is EleGiggle

India can't compete amongst themselves..........., that would be hilarious.
yea its impossible to compete against someone who comes from inside the same imaginary lines as you do!
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

gibson wrote:Yea since there are no imaginary lines in India they are all the same. If we just decided to put imaginary lines in the country though and divided it up into like 20 countries like Europe they would be different and culturally diverse

NO BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL THE SAME PEOPLE JESUS. Italians and Slavs aren't the same people at all it has nothing to do with religion.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Just, what?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:Just, what?
I was going to try to explain to sirmusket that just because someone comes from inside the same imaginary lines as someone else doesnt mean they come from the same culture, but then I remembered he has an iq of 1 and is racist to boot so theres no point.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

They are arguing that Cricket is more superior to Baseball, damn Australians.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

gibson wrote:
I was going to try to explain to sirmusket that just because someone comes from inside the same imaginary lines as someone else doesnt mean they come from the same culture, but then I remembered he has an iq of 1 and is racist to boot so theres no point.

lol just learn to write normal atleast then try make a reasoned argument. What in the world are these "Imaginary lines" you're talking about. They are called borders, to distinguish difference countries/people/races.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

sirmusket wrote:

Well Cricket is more superior. That's why I'm surprised.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

deleted_user wrote:
sirmusket wrote:

Well Cricket is more superior. That's why I'm surprised.

Yea it probably is seeing as only America plays Baseball, but still Cricket is 10x more boring. Was arguing that it's countries that define a sports popularity not amount of people. Because India alone covers 1/5th of the worlds population.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

sirmusket wrote:
VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
Show hidden quotes

India is a very culturally diverse country, similar to Europe. Different religions, different languages, different culture and practices.

They are still all Indians, same people. Religion doesn't define your ethnicity, are you sure you finished uni man?
FIBA World Cup had an audience of only 800 million. Nothing in comparison to 2.5billion that Cricket hosts. But are you seriously going to argue that Cricket is a larger/better/ more played sport. No way, because 171 countries play Basketball and only <8 or so play cricket.

Limiting yourself to - at times - arbitrary political borders ignores the cultural similaries / differences that occur within a region. In that measure, I think it would be very interesting to look at cultural diversity in India versus Europe (it may not be as different as you think).

Number of official languages spoken in India: 22.

Number of official languages spoken in Europe: 24.

If you include unofficial languages, India has far more.

On ethnic diversity, India is the second most ethnically diverse region on Earth.

India has more than two thousand ethnic groups,[9] and every major religion is represented, as are four major families of languages (Indo-European, Dravidian, Austroasiatic and Sino-Tibetan languages) as well as two language isolates (the Nihali language[10] spoken in parts of Maharashtra and the Burushaski language spoken in parts of Jammu and Kashmir (Kashmir).

Further complexity is lent by the great variation that occurs across this population on social parameters such as income and education. Only the continent of Africa exceeds the linguistic, genetic and cultural diversity of the nation of India.

In fact, there's a lot of data suggesting that ethnic diversity in Europe is not particularly significant.

Studies of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) have suggested substantial genetic homogeneity of European populations,[24] with only a few geographic or linguistic isolates appearing to be genetic isolates as well.[25] On the other hand, analyses of the Y chromosome [26][27] and of autosomal diversity[28] have shown a general gradient of genetic similarity running from the southeast to the northwest of the continent.

Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
sirmusket wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Limiting yourself to - at times - arbitrary political borders ignores the cultural similaries / differences that occur within a region. In that measure, I think it would be very interesting to look at cultural diversity in India versus Europe (it may not be as different as you think).

On ethnic diversity, India is the second most ethnically diverse region on Earth.

India has more than two thousand ethnic groups,[9] and every major religion is represented, as are four major families of languages (Indo-European, Dravidian, Austroasiatic and Sino-Tibetan languages) as well as two language isolates (the Nihali language[10] spoken in parts of Maharashtra and the Burushaski language spoken in parts of Jammu and Kashmir (Kashmir).

Further complexity is lent by the great variation that occurs across this population on social parameters such as income and education. Only the continent of Africa exceeds the linguistic, genetic and cultural diversity of the nation of India.

In fact, there's a lot of data suggesting that ethnic diversity in Europe is not particularly significant.

Studies of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) have suggested substantial genetic homogeneity of European populations,[24] with only a few geographic or linguistic isolates appearing to be genetic isolates as well.[25] On the other hand, analyses of the Y chromosome [26][27] and of autosomal diversity[28] have shown a general gradient of genetic similarity running from the southeast to the northwest of the continent.

An Indian from the West or South which have different cultures, nice. But they are still Indians.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

sirmusket wrote:
VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
Show hidden quotes

An Indian from the West or South which have different cultures, nice. But they are still Indians.

....? I recommend you read the whole post before responding.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
sirmusket wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You don't understand, in the mind of a nationalist like sirmusket the only thing that really matters is national origin. It doesn't matter that someone from northern india is often going to be culturally and ethnically identical to someone from southern China, and isn't going to be anything like someone from south India. "But they are still Indians", thats the only thing that matters.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

gibson wrote:
VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
Show hidden quotes

You don't understand, in the mind of a nationalist like sirmusket the only thing that really matters is national origin. It doesn't matter that someone from northern india is often going to be culturally and ethnically identical to someone from southern China, and isn't going to be anything like someone from south India. "But they are still Indians", thats the only thing that matters.

He's like 14, can't say I was much better at that age.
Australia outta_key_
Crossbow
ESO: outta_key_

Post by outta_key_ »

There is nothing more Australian then playing backyard cricket on Christmas day and giving your uncle a bit of "chin music" (purposely aiming for his head). Either that, or buying a $2 snag at your local Bunnings on a Sunday morning.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

outta_key_ wrote:There is nothing more Australian then playing backyard cricket on Christmas day and giving your uncle a bit of "chin music" (purposely aiming for his head). Either that, or buying a $2 snag at your local Bunnings on a Sunday morning.

This is the dream. Though local bunnings has upped it to $2.50 which is pretty devastating. I guess the price has been the same for like 20 years so it was bound to happen.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
outta_key_ wrote:There is nothing more Australian then playing backyard cricket on Christmas day and giving your uncle a bit of "chin music" (purposely aiming for his head). Either that, or buying a $2 snag at your local Bunnings on a Sunday morning.

This is the dream. Though local bunnings has upped it to $2.50 which is pretty devastating. I guess the price has been the same for like 20 years so it was bound to happen.

Never was a fan of the 2 dollar sausages at Bunnings, the 1 dollar Ikea hot dogs are way better
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

gibson wrote:
VooDoo_BoSs wrote:
Show hidden quotes

South and Northern Indians aren't ethnically different, but culturally different. Cutlure doesn't define ethnicity. But I'm not suprised you can't comprehend this simple concept as you probably barely passed high school :lol:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

sirmusket wrote:
gibson wrote:

lol just learn to write normal atleast then try make a reasoned argument. What in the world are these "Imaginary lines" you're talking about. They are called borders, to distinguish difference countries/people/races.

actually just to distinguish between different countries...
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

sirmusket wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes

South and Northern Indians aren't ethnically different, but culturally different. Cutlure doesn't define ethnicity. But I'm not suprised you can't comprehend this simple concept as you probably barely passed high school :lol:

just a simple google search. First result.

the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

guess what word that is the definition of?