Janus v AFSCME

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Janus v AFSCME

Post by fightinfrenchman »

What are your thoughts regarding the US Supreme Court case Janus v AFSCME? It deals with non-union members being forced to pay unions dues (edit: public sector unions) and whether that violates the First Amendment.

If I had to guess I'd say the Court will rule in favor of Janus now that Gorsuch is on the Court but I'd like to know what ESOC thinks of the merits of the case.

Lots of information here, including the petitioner and respondent briefs: http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/ca ... ouncil-31/

Oral arguments can be found here: https://apps.oyez.org/player/#/roberts8 ... udio/24471
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Janus v AFSCME

Post by deleted_user0 »

If they pay the dues, how can they not be a member? That seems like a contradiction.

If you aren't a member you shouldn't have to pay
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

umeu wrote:If they pay the dues, how can they not be a member? That seems like a contradiction.

If you aren't a member you shouldn't have to pay

Non-members are forced to pay dues that cover the costs of non-political actions of the union. The reason these dues exists is to prevent "free-riding," getting the benefits of what the union bargains for without contributing anything.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

I agree, the conservative court is likely to rule in favor of Janus and the consequences could be massive. Likely it will be the death of unions in the US as the public sector union is the only stronghold remaining.
mad cuz bad