Are astrology and philosophy compatible?

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Are astrology and philosophy compatible?

Post by deleted_user »

Hi, I have this question. Obviously both fields are pretty big, or at least philosophy is huge, but so do your best with generalities.

Maybe it's not whether they're compatible or not so much as are they not incompatable? Like are they just too different from each other to even say one is incompatible with the other. Still, I'm confused.

A lot of philosophy is epistemological in nature or has epistemological foundations/roots whereas astrology, that Pisces and Cancer shit, um, doesn't. But we're, despite or best deceptions, shitty creatures of reason. Perhaps something having its roots epistemology doesn't mean a whole lot.

I'm having this conversation irl and my partner in conversation says they're compatible by communication and a lot of philosophy is based on linguistics but this all smells bullshit to me isn't like everything based on linguistics, even math (especially math), and relataed by communication? Isn't like every interaction communication? So what! But I don't know really anything about astrology and in general I tell myself to keep an open mind and I don't really, or try not to, judge people based on beliefs which don't really matter like "does your birth place matter" on a celestial reference I mean not socioeconomic, which if astrology was about your mannerisms and future probabilities of success based on initial socioeconomic standing, I might consider subscribing.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: Are astrology and philosophy compatible?

Post by deleted_user0 »

I guess this is troll. but whatever. Philosophy isn't really a field. It's a way of thinking. You can philosophize about anything. Also not sure since when either field has become really big lol. Maybe you mean astronomy?
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Well Astrology is a complete, 100% pseudoscience in the same line as homeopathy, so it doesn't have links to anything. Some people derive meaning out of it the same way many people do with religion, but it's just something humans made up out of thin air. Philosophy is pretty much just reasoned thought, and would not include anything that is not "reasonable" (eg astrology). It seems like whomever you're talking to is trying to lend some credibility to astrology when there is none.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

There is a good quote says philosophy borns from lack of linguistic, otherwise on every subject we could agree.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

I read that multiple times and still have no clue what you're trying to ask.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Speaking in tongues
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

??
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

What doesn't make sense? I wrote it kind of messed up but I have all my subjects and all my verbs and all my commas and all my other punctuations in there.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Philosophy is ever growing and flexible. As new things are learned, new questions are asked. Astrology is stagnant and rigid. You were born during this time, thus, here is what you should expect. Both can be introspective, though with philosophy, it's deeper since you're using experiences to think; whereas with astrology, you're using a preset "sign" to shape your experience.

Speaking of astrology: https://gizmodo.com/whats-the-best-astr ... 1825539079 Enjoy!
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

im just a loss to see how the 2 are even remotely comparable :/
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Same
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

Is asstrology the one that most basic girls talk about?
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

UpMySleeves wrote:Is asstrology the one that most basic girls talk about?

Nope that’s phishlosophy
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
Clan: NTDE

Post by _NT_sven »

How will you refute Karl Popper's argument? He explicitly reproached astrology by his falsification principle. Even though you might disagree with falsification in general, don't you think astrology has the defect of not being falsifiable enough?
Plum blossoms fall below the steps like whirling snow;
They cover me still though brushed off a while ago.

-Tune: "Pure Serene Music", Li Yu (937-978 AD), the Last Lord of Southern Tang Dynasty
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

Googol wrote:
UpMySleeves wrote:Is asstrology the one that most basic girls talk about?

Nope that’s phishlosophy

Sometimes lay awoke at night wondering, what`s the point of spamming piki after colonial.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

astrology ignores too much known science to be true. The motion of our planet is much too complex for it to be considered a 12 step cycle. The planet is rotating on its axis, spinning around the sun, while the sun itself spins around the center of gravity of our solar system, which is all orbiting the center of our galaxy (a giant black hole btw) while simultaneously bobbing up and down through a plate of dark matter (every couple of million of years) that suspiciously lines up with extinction events on planet earth, and all of our galaxy is shooting off in god knows which direction into the universe. Much too complex to be a 12 month pattern if you ask me since each of those motions have their own cycles which take up to millions of years.
Apart from that, i just don't agree that all people on earth can be placed into 12 discreet boxes and everyone in a single box has undeniably similar qualities. It just poops on my face, that idea.
De Funk