Kendrick Lamar blames white woman for saying the n-word in his own song

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Kendrick Lamar blames white woman for saying the n-word in his own song

Post by momuuu »

It's just stupid symbol politics, people think banning a word is a solution to racism.

In NL, similairly, people have decided 'cancer' is a bad word to use or to swear with. Some people go as far as only writing C**** when discussing it. It's ridiculous, not saying the word isn't going to cure anyone or achieve anything yet people still refuse to say or write it. Imo 'nigger' is a similair word. By getting all triggered because people use a word you're not going to solve shit.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Perhaps. And I'm incline to agree. People will always find different ways to say what they want. And not saying a word won't solve the problem entirely. But it's not said that it doesn't contribute to it's solution. You can say that it doesn't. But that's not an argument. You can say, well, just look at how effective that approach has been so far. And that's indeed a more compelling argument. But on the other hand, allowing a word or anything else for that matter to be used to be used freely also has a normalizing effect. And when people think this kind of stuff is normal, then history also has a few compelling examples of why we shouldn't allow that.

In the end, in my opinion, the best approach is, as with everything, education and not regulation or prohibition. But I can't even get GoodSpeed to listen to me! So what do I know.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

It will solve itself, over time. I hate symbolic measures though, freedom of speech is important.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

momuuu wrote:It will solve itself, over time. I hate symbolic measures though, freedom of speech is important.

Even in the US freedom of speech has its limits. For example, credible threats of violence are not protected
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

"Even in the US" as the US was some kinda benchmark for free speech. Dude you need to leave the basement more often and see what's going on around the world.
[Sith] - Baphomet
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

How do you lack the foresight to not go into a crowd of black people and say the word nigger? Maybe she was on drugs or alcohol or something? It seems like such a silly thing to do.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Snuden wrote:"Even in the US" as the US was some kinda benchmark for free speech. Dude you need to leave the basement more often and see what's going on around the world.

It would be an accurate statement to say "Americans value American free speech a very great deal." Being so valued the concept of free speech gets proudly touted a lot here by everyone -- it's always expressed as a fundamental right that's contributed to America's success, as an unequivocally important statute -- and so it makes sense to read his statement like: "even in [a country whose politicians and peoples value free speech a very great deal] freedom of speech has its limits." Everything about that sentence is correct.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

momuuu wrote: I hate symbolic measures though, freedom of speech is important.

It's important. But to think that freedom doesn't have limits is a fallacy. Believing that is a delusion. Plain and simple. Now the difficult question is what the limits are, how we define them and who defines them. Part of what has sparked this discussion in the past decade, but also before that already, is the fact that the limits have been set and defined almost exclusively by a very small group of predominantly but not exclusively wealthy white men. And they have designed the rules to work in their favor, and they have instructed those tasked with overseeing or safeguarding the rules to act in their favor. I don't think this is a big conspiracy. It's merely people acting in their own self interest. And it's in the self interest of all the people not included in this group to make sure that the freedom this one group claims doesn't obstruct their own freedom. Which it sadly does in many cases.

It will solve itself, over time.

And how do you imagine that this happens? One day suddenly everyone will wake up and not be racist or a bigot anymore?
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

I wonder how much they payed Kendrick to create this fake drama, to blind the people from the real issues.

I don`t think any word should be forbidden, so long as the context in which it`s used isn`t a hateful one.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead