EU4 PLZ SEND HALP!

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

EU4 PLZ SEND HALP!

Post by Jaeger »

I am playing my first game and I have trouble with institutions. I am Spain in the year 1560 and the Printing Press institution triggered around 1550. For me it only triggered in one province, and the projected date is 1610.

Question 1: If I do absolutely nothing, will it finish in this province in 1610 or does it speed up somehow?
Question 2: Can I do anything to help trigger the institution in more provinces?
Question 3: Did I get unlucky with a super slow rate, or is this normal?

Continuation: For previous institutions I just spent some monarch points to develop the province, which helped it embrace the institution. However, Printing Press triggered in a very high development province, so spending monarch points only shaves it down by like 3 years.

Question 4: What to do? Is it possible that I will just have to wait until 1610 for that one province, and then wait another 30 years for it to spread to some neighboring provinces, etc. and be super behind?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag stronk
Skirmisher

Re: EU4 PLZ SEND HALP!

Post by stronk »

You have to start chapel and start trashing the coppers. From there on you can start building up and play big money from there on.
give that guy a manual
Great Britain hleung
Retired Contributor
ESO: hleung / cll (DE)

Post by hleung »

ovi12 wrote:I am playing my first game and I have trouble with institutions. I am Spain in the year 1560 and the Printing Press institution triggered around 1550. For me it only triggered in one province, and the projected date is 1610.

Question 1: If I do absolutely nothing, will it finish in this province in 1610 or does it speed up somehow?
Question 2: Can I do anything to help trigger the institution in more provinces?
Question 3: Did I get unlucky with a super slow rate, or is this normal?

Continuation: For previous institutions I just spent some monarch points to develop the province, which helped it embrace the institution. However, Printing Press triggered in a very high development province, so spending monarch points only shaves it down by like 3 years.

Question 4: What to do? Is it possible that I will just have to wait until 1610 for that one province, and then wait another 30 years for it to spread to some neighboring provinces, etc. and be super behind?

It's always good to see new EU4 players around! :smile:

Regarding institutions, Printing Press can be a pain in the neck to deal with for a Catholic country, as there are only a few ways to speed up the process of embracing the institution. One of the methods, as you said already, is to turbo develop the province. It kind of works, but it is extremely costly to do so (about 2k monarch points per province from 0 to 100%). Of course there are other ways to speed up the process. I would assume that you are not planning to switch to Protestant (or Reformed) at this stage of the game, and even when the switch does speed up the institution spread, it is a rather risky (depending on the size of your empire) and meaningless (in long term) move to do so at this point.

Now, that does not mean the situation is completely hopeless. If you get up to Diplomacy Tech 15 (around 1580s), you will be gaining an extra +1%/year in your capital province. If you are lucky enough to have a neighbour who has already embraced Printing Press, then Printing Press will start ticking up in all the neighbouring provinces of your country within a few years' time. If you have got MoH DLC, another thing you can do is to make use of the state edict mechanism. The state edict "Advancement effort" modifies the institution spread in that state by +33%. On top of that, you can get the splendor bonus in the Age of Reformation for +50% global modifier in your true-faith provinces. If you want to speed things up, develop your provinces that has Printing Press ticking up every month, but try not to fall behind in key military technologies (mil tech 15 is extremely important). Once Printing Press is present in a few provinces, it should start spreading rather quickly. You probably wouldn't want to tech up with huge institution penalties, so you can put more focus on idea groups; but again, try not to overspend your monarch points. At the end, you should be able to embrace Printing Press by 1580s, and if you are extremely unlucky, then perhaps by 1590s.

It is normal to have Spain getting a bit screwed by Printing Press, as it usually spawns in the German regions where Protestant/Reformed religion is present. It can be a painful time before the institution spreads to Catholic Spain.

On a side note, Global Trade should be spawning in 1600s, so you might want to boost that trade income in both trade nodes (Seville and Genoa). Since I do not like holding hands, I will leave you to figure it out. With any luck, you will be getting Global Trade spawned in your country.

Good luck and have fun! :flowers:

P.S.: @lordraphael if I say something wrong or not entirely correct on the matter, please point them out. Thanks. :P
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

str8 garbitch game
Great Britain hleung
Retired Contributor
ESO: hleung / cll (DE)

Post by hleung »

gibson wrote:str8 garbitch game