Outfit of the Day+ a few of gibson's thoughts about fashion

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Outfit of the Day+ a few of gibson's thoughts about fashion

Post by gibson »

Recently, it has come to the attention of several forum members including myself that many members of this community have an extremely poor taste in clothing choice. I am creating this thread for several purposes. First off, those of us who do dress stylishly can post their outfits in order to help those who have not paid attention to men's but wish to dress nicely do so. Second, people wishing for input on their outfit can come here, post a picture, and receive feedback. Third, to talk about anything related to men's clothing/footwear, etc. If you are the type of person who can goes out and drops Benjamin's on the daily for clothes, this thread is not for you. This is just for everyday, down to earth, average men's style; so take your pictures of all gucci everything elsewhere. I will also include a few of my shambled thoughts about men's fashion in the in a spoiler below.
[spoiler=spoiler]Men's clothing style has changed drastically over the ages. Look at a picture of Wall street in the 1950's and you'll notice that everyone was wearing top hats and ties. Nowadays, it's perfectly acceptable to attend a semi-formal event without even wearing a tie. Now, just as fashion has changed overtime, it also changes depending on what country you live in. I will try to keep to generalizations that are true across all of men's fashion, but keep in mind that any specifics may hold true in the United States only, my home country.
First impressions are extremely important. Whether or not you're at an interview for a first job, or meeting a girl who you hope you'll be more than just friends with, the first few minutes you spend with said person are going to have a lasting impact on what he or she thinks of you. And what's the "first impression" of the first impression? The very first thing that a person will consciously or subconsciously judge about you is your appearance. So when you're picking out your wardrobe each morning, instead of just throwing on a mismosh of mismatched and dirty items, think about that you want to convey when people see you. Do you want them to think of you as a frat boy? The frat boy's outfit is characterized by several major items. First, some sort of name brand button up shirt. Frat boys don't generally wear undershirts, do roll up their sleeves, and generally have the two top buttons unbuttoned. They wear khakiesque pants in the winter, and prep shorts that generally are several inches about the knee in the summer. Frat boys generally wear some form of new balance or polo footwear. Some variations wear bow ties as well. When they wear hats they like duckbill sports hats and occasionally the bucket hat.
The next group I'd like to discuss is the douche bags. The douche bag generally wears a snapback flat bill for headwear. He also generally wears a t-shirt or tank top with some douchey saying such as "Suns out Guns out" and the like. Board shorts and cargo shorts are the douches favorite form of lower body covering, and he is often seen wearing flip-flops or some sort of skater shoe.
Next is the wannabee skaters/emos. These guys are also generally seen wearing flatbills over longish straight hair. They generally wear over sized shirts that range from being completely plain to being completely full of images and print from some random death metel band. They always wear skinny pants, be it joggers, khakis, jeans, or some other form of pant. They like to wear vans or various other brands of skating shoes.
Than come the athletes. They generally wear tennisshoes, basketball shoes, or some other form of sports shoe. Sweat pants and athletic shorts are what they generally wear along with an exercise shirt or tee shirt advertising their favorite/bandwagon sports team. Some sort of hat advertising yet another sports team generally completes their outfit.
And than their are the nerds. The nerds are the hardest to nail down, because their mom's often have done their shopping for them. You can generally tell a nerd not by some specific article of clothing, but by the fact that everything just seems kind of random and is slightly misfit.
Next I'd like to talk about the way clothes fit. The size of clothes one wears should be determined on an individual basis based on your body type. For example, I am a skinny, slightly muscular guy, so I wear slim everything. An athletic cut button down clings tighter to the body and makes me look much more muscular than a standard shirt would. I would not recommend to someone of a slightly larger build to wear a slim shirt, however. Wear a larger, baggier shirt that hides that little bit of extra flab around the belly but fits snugly around the arms and thus gives off a muscular impression. I would also recommend that all guys wear slim pants, or maybe even skinny pants for you tooth picks. Girls care just as much about your body as you do about theirs. Wearing pants that show off your ass or a shirt that shows off your biceps is exactly the same as when girls wear pants that show off their ass and shirts with cleavage. If you have a nice butt, or a full chest, or big arms, take advantage of it. Don't hide your 30 cm arms in an extra large shirt. Tailor the way you dress to your body type.
Matching is also incredibly important. For beginners, stick to clothing that is primarily solid colors. Try to remember small tips such as the primary colors all work well together, khaki pants can go well with anything, avoid wearing pants and shirts of the same color at the same time, and don't wear bright pants with a bright top. For specifics, remember the color wheel. Any colors that are next to each other on the color wheel match and can be worn together.
So next time you're going out in public, don't wear bright yellow pants with with a blue and green stripped shirt. Remember, the very very first impression that people make of you is by your clothes. So while you don't have to be wearing clothes from the latest fashion shows, demonstrate to the people you meet that you're responsible enough to dress nicely.[/spoiler]
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Outfit of the Day+ a few of gibson's thoughts about fashion

Post by gibson »

Today I am wearing a summer light pink Ralph Lauren button down, "Wheat" color American Eagle Khakis, woven American Eagle boxers which say nut cracker all over them, and a pair of sperry boat shoes. Sorry for the awful image quality I didn't realize until after I'd already dressed my self and didn't feel like taking all my clothes off and retaking the picture.
Attachments
bad quality.jpg
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I like the shirt. Sucks those things are awefully hot to wear..

Also, imo roll up the sleeves anyways, looks so much better. Do you wear it casually over your pants or in your pants?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

tldr and next time take pictures clothes on you. you can censor face.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

How old are you? If you are older than 17 you should stop wearing American eagle. Also, hope you are wearing a belt? #nohomo
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

somppukunkku wrote:tldr and next time take pictures clothes on you. you can censor face.
I have no problem showing my face I just don't have a mirror that would be able to capture my neck all the way down to my shoes.

Jerom wrote:I like the shirt. Sucks those things are awefully hot to wear..

Also, imo roll up the sleeves anyways, looks so much better. Do you wear it casually over your pants or in your pants?
I don't find them hot generally. You should unbutton the top two buttons at least and not wear an under shirt if you find a shirt how. I never tuck my shirt into my pants even if I wear a tie. I only tuck a shirt in if I'm wearing a jacket.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:tldr and next time take pictures clothes on you. you can censor face.
I have no problem showing my face I just don't have a mirror that would be able to capture my neck all the way down to my shoes.

Jerom wrote:I like the shirt. Sucks those things are awefully hot to wear..

I don't find them hot generally. You should unbutton the top two buttons at least and not wear an under shirt if you find a shirt how. I never tuck my shirt into my pants even if I wear a tie. I only tuck a shirt in if I'm wearing a jacket.

well, thats what I do. I think I am made out of heat or something... I honestly can't wear anything but t-shirts, even in the winter, without getting extremely sweaty.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

n0eL wrote:How old are you? If you are older than 17 you should stop wearing American eagle. Also, hope you are wearing a belt? #nohomo

I would wear a belt If I was tucking in my shirt. Open belt loops look bad, but since I don't tuck my shirt in you can't tell. I am 19, and wouldn't wear like a Henley with a big American Eagle logo on it, but they make decent quality clothes and I'm not gonna throw away a perfectly good pair of Khakis just because it's a brand generally worn by juveniles. In fact I still go into their store occasionally because I really like their underwear and their shorts. I am pretty tall with a skinny waist and so often time's I find that if I get shorts that are the length I like, they are like a 34 waste and way too big. However, American Eagle has shorts like 32 length 30 waste which is the perfect size for me.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Makes sense. I agree their underwear is nice.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:
n0eL wrote:How old are you? If you are older than 17 you should stop wearing American eagle. Also, hope you are wearing a belt? #nohomo

I would wear a belt If I was tucking in my shirt. Open belt loops look bad, but since I don't tuck my shirt in you can't tell. I am 19, and wouldn't wear like a Henley with a big American Eagle logo on it, but they make decent quality clothes and I'm not gonna throw away a perfectly good pair of Khakis just because it's a brand generally worn by juveniles. In fact I still go into their store occasionally because I really like their underwear and their shorts. I am pretty tall with a skinny waist and so often time's I find that if I get shorts that are the length I like, they are like a 34 waste and way too big. However, American Eagle has shorts like 32 length 30 waste which is the perfect size for me.

with khaki pants I'd say tucking the shirt looks better. Especially if you're fit.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Jerom wrote:
gibson wrote:

with khaki pants I'd say tucking the shirt looks better. Especially if you're fit.

The proper name for those pants is "chinos," the word khaki refers to the color.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jerom wrote:
gibson wrote:

my chest looks pretty big if I tuck in my shirt but other than that it looks bad in general
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

pants/half-zipped sweat and those casual shirts are the only ralph lauren clothes that fits well imo.

also why would you wear a tie and untucked shirt?

Speaking about chinos, I like Dockers
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

wait, hes not wearing a tie right?
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Jerom wrote:wait, hes not wearing a tie right?

gibson wrote: I never tuck my shirt into my pants even if I wear a tie. I only tuck a shirt in if I'm wearing a jacket"
this just doesn't make sense to me. tie = formal = tuck your shirt. untucked shirt + tie looks very juvenile imo, but why not after all
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Post by cedarfarms »

american eagle!!! gibson is 14 confirmed. But seriously, if youre going business casual with a dress shirt and tie without the jacket, you do not tuck your shirt in? Idk about that lol idk if i have ever seen someone wearing a tie with an untucked shirt lol. Stop being a goon lions
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

benj89 wrote:
Jerom wrote:wait, hes not wearing a tie right?

gibson wrote: I never tuck my shirt into my pants even if I wear a tie. I only tuck a shirt in if I'm wearing a jacket"
this just doesn't make sense to me. tie = formal = tuck your shirt. untucked shirt + tie looks very juvenile imo, but why not after all

Yeah that's just ugly. Ive grown to like tucking it in anyways, at least in terms of style. It's slightly less comfortable and too hot on the other hand.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Whether you tuck the shirt in or not is dependent entirely on the length of the shirt. A short shirt won't really stay tucked and a long one will look silly untucked.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

You guys are confusing a tie with being formal. A tie does not mean formal. A tie means you're trying to dress a tiny bit more stylish. Maybe tomorrow I'll out on a shirt and tie to show you guys.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:Whether you tuck the shirt in or not is dependent entirely on the length of the shirt. A short shirt won't really stay tucked and a long one will look silly untucked.

Thats a fair point I suppose. I think they look better tucked regardless.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

gibson wrote:You guys are confusing a tie with being formal. A tie does not mean formal. A tie means you're trying to dress a tiny bit more stylish. Maybe tomorrow I'll out on a shirt and tie to show you guys.

I don't think I would wear a tie with an untucked shirt. I know some people believe that you shouldn't even wear a tie unless you are also wearing a jacket, but I don't agree with that, seems too much.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

well tbh if I try to be stylish in a non formal environment I won't use a tie. but still, curious to see your pic tomorrow. also take ur pic dressed, otherwise we can't really see the result
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
gibson wrote:You guys are confusing a tie with being formal. A tie does not mean formal. A tie means you're trying to dress a tiny bit more stylish. Maybe tomorrow I'll out on a shirt and tie to show you guys.

I don't think I would wear a tie with an untucked shirt. I know some people believe that you shouldn't even wear a tie unless you are also wearing a jacket, but I don't agree with that, seems too much.

You can do without. It kinda gives you a studenty look, which is funny. But wearing a tie is too unconfortable for the style it gives.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

benj89 wrote:well tbh if I try to be stylish in a non formal environment I won't use a tie. but still, curious to see your pic tomorrow. also take ur pic dressed, otherwise we can't really see the result

I'm not gonna wear it to school but maybe when I get home I'll out it in to show you
United States of America cedarfarms
Dragoon
ESO: Cedar_farms_

Post by cedarfarms »

You should just do a live webcast once a week, Fashion Tips with Gibson, Tuesday Nights 20 GMT