Outfit of the Day+ a few of gibson's thoughts about fashion

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Outfit of the Day+ a few of gibson's thoughts about fashion

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Goodspeed wrote:That hasn't been my experience. Besides I don't want anything to do with people who only take me seriously if I dress fashionably so that works out great.

Post your fit, bish
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@Goodspeed Is your opinion that people shouldn't be judged at all by their choice of clothing, or just to the extent they are today?
Pay more attention to detail.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:@Goodspeed Is your opinion that people shouldn't be judged at all by their choice of clothing,
Define "judged". You can tell some things about a person's character based on how they dress, so it's fair to "judge" people that way. And if that type of person is one you tend not to get along with, it's understandable if you judge them negatively. I for one am less inclined to go talk to a person who spends much thought and money to dress fashionably than to a person who dresses practically. To me, the latter seems more like someone who has their priorities straight.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't talk to the former person at all. You can spot certain character traits by how people dress, but certainly not all of them and not the most important ones either. Ear mentioned one "wouldn't be taken seriously" if they dress "poorly". Someone who takes it as far as that I wouldn't want anything to do with because if they aren't willing to look past a disagreement about priorities when it comes to how to dress slash how to spend money, they clearly lack perspective.
or just to the extent they are today?
I don't get your meaning here.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Oh please – you're so shallow, you're transparent!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Goodspeed wrote:
Gendarme wrote:@Goodspeed Is your opinion that people shouldn't be judged at all by their choice of clothing,
Define "judged". You can tell some things about a person's character based on how they dress, so it's fair to "judge" people that way. And if that type of person is one you tend not to get along with, it's understandable if you judge them negatively. I for one am less inclined to go talk to a person who spends much thought and money to dress fashionably than to a person who dresses practically. To me, the latter seems more like someone who has their priorities straight.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't talk to the former person at all. You can spot certain character traits by how people dress, but certainly not all of them and not the most important ones either. Ear mentioned one "wouldn't be taken seriously" if they dress "poorly". Someone who takes it as far as that I wouldn't want anything to do with because if they aren't willing to look past a disagreement about priorities when it comes to how to dress slash how to spend money, they clearly lack perspective.
or just to the extent they are today?
I don't get your meaning here.

I bet you dress like a schlub
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

No doubt
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@Goodspeed Most people dress "appropriately" because they realise that they would be at a disadvantage otherwise. Consequently someone who does not is most likely either ignorant to that fact or being rebellious, both of which are unwanted traits whether the dress-code is something with which the beholder agrees or not. In other words, even if I loved the appearance of hoodies I would certainly not take a job-applicant who wears a hoodie on his CV-picture to an interview as it shows that he is most likely either ignorant of the dress-code (i.e. living under a stone) or not being serious about getting the job (i.e. rebelling against the dress-code is more important than the job).

This still applies in our daily lives, of course, just to a lesser extent. The person who spends money dressing fashionably may not do that because he believes it to be the inherently good thing to do, but because he realises that he would be at a disadvantage if he didn't even in the daily life. Your assessment that this person does not have his priorities straight seems wrong to me.

There are of course people who have exaggerated, or sometimes even plainly wrong, prejudices such as "people with neck-tattoos are all worthless scum", and they aren't uncommon. What Ear said is somewhat vague, but in the case of applying for a job that has a dress-code wearing a hoodie is most likely a case of you not being serious about the job, hence correctly (in most cases) not being taken seriously. However, Ear is himself not a person to be taken too seriously - at least not on this forum - so don't read too much into it.
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I wonder what percentage of users on this forum wear cargo shorts
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I wonder what percentage of users on this forum wear cargo shorts

I like cargo shorts
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Gendarme wrote:@Goodspeed Most people dress "appropriately" because they realise that they would be at a disadvantage otherwise. Consequently someone who does not is most likely either ignorant to that fact or being rebellious, both of which are unwanted traits whether the dress-code is something with which the beholder agrees or not.
There's an actual dress code? Then you're certainly not interviewing someone in my line of work. Sure, for many positions there are actual dress codes and it would be perfectly fair to dismiss someone if they failed to dress the part. I wouldn't want a job like that. It attracts a certain type of person, which I am not and tend not to get along with, either. That's what I meant earlier when I said I would sooner befriend someone who dressed practically, rather than fashionably.

Anyway there's a difference between wearing a hoodie to a job interview and dressing practically. You seem to be misinterpreting my words; I'm not talking about the difference between someone who wears rags to work and someone who is conscious about how they dress, the distinction I made is between a person who spends a lot of time and money to dress fashionably, and someone who doesn't. Closer to home (thread title), the difference between someone who actually has "thoughts on fashion" and someone who doesn't. That doesn't mean the latter is incapable of putting together an outfit.

In other words, even if I loved the appearance of hoodies I would certainly not take a job-applicant who wears a hoodie on his CV-picture to an interview as it shows that he is most likely either ignorant of the dress-code (i.e. living under a stone) or not being serious about getting the job (i.e. rebelling against the dress-code is more important than the job).
What are you interviewing them for? Is there an actual dress code? If you're interviewing them for a technical position you are wrong in my opinion to dismiss people who don't care as much about appearances, because that kind of thing actually hints at other character traits that you may specifically be looking for.

This still applies in our daily lives, of course, just to a lesser extent. The person who spends money dressing fashionably may not do that because he believes it to be the inherently good thing to do, but because he realises that he would be at a disadvantage if he didn't even in the daily life. Your assessment that this person does not have his priorities straight seems wrong to me.
Wrong? I would go with subjective. In my very subjective opinion, money is better spent on other things especially since keeping up with fashion is a rather expensive hobby. It depends entirely on who you're trying to impress and what line of work you're in. I personally have never cared about fashion and it hasn't hindered me in anything. In fact, if it prevented certain people from coming up to me to have a chit chat, all the better.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I dress both fashionably and how I want with a single pair of jeans, Hanes a-shirts, a handful of $20 old navy button ups, and a pair of leather boots or two.
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Post by Jam »

deleted_user wrote:I dress both fashionably and how I want with a single pair of jeans, Hanes a-shirts, a handful of $20 old navy button ups, and a pair of leather boots or two.
FASHION
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I was born in the wrong millenia
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

jeans are op as are cargo, don't forget jorts
A post not made is a post given away