Game of Thrones- season 6

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Game of Thrones- season 6

Post by Goodspeed »

I know it's a TV show, yes, but after all this time I'm not so easily swayed by a couple of good fight scenes. The battle lacked substance. It was a great episode but still, overhype alert.
Niue Le Dragon
Dragoon

Post by Le Dragon »

Goodspeed wrote:I guess I'm the only one but idk, meh. Liked the Dany part, didn't like the Jon part. Technically (and by that I mean the effects and the individual fight scenes) it was a good fight but it had a lot of issues and I feel like all this hype is undeserved.
- How did not a single arrow hit Jon?
- How did they manage to get surrounded by a fruiting phalanx??
- Bodies don't pile up that way in open field.
- There was no battle strategy there at all. They were going to dig trenches to keep their flanks safe, for one.
- Giant could've done way more damage if he didn't just stand around and flailed his arms around without a weapon.

Maybe I played too much total war but fuck that was disappointing. Also nice dodge, Rickon..

They had a battle plan, but it fell apart when John ran after Rickon. Bolton set a trap and it worked.

I had the same thoughts, though. All the major good guys survived, which is uncharacteristic of the series. It shows how the lack of source material affects the writing.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:I guess I'm the only one but idk, meh. Liked the Dany part, didn't like the Jon part. Technically (and by that I mean the effects and the individual fight scenes) it was a good fight but it had a lot of issues and I feel like all this hype is undeserved.
- There was no battle strategy there at all. They were going to dig trenches to keep their flanks safe, for one.
- Giant could've done way more damage if he didn't just stand around and flailed his arms around without a weapon.

Maybe I played too much total war but fuck that was disappointing. Also nice dodge, Rickon..

The RTS player in Mart is angry haha
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Le Dragon wrote:

They had a battle plan, but it fell apart when John ran after Rickon. Bolton set a trap and it worked.
I get that but it's still lazy writing.
"Guys how do we get out of having to write an actual battle scene?"
"Let's have Jon go full retard. The audience will forgive him and us by extension."
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

the bodies part was quite over the top XD but bodies do pile up, just not so crazy high. The surrounding wasnt that unrealistic, the phalanx was a bit out of blue because no one has ever heard of a northern falanx lol, it also doesnt really go with their image of being strong individual fighters but having rather poor discipline. But its possible.

About arrows not hitting jon, thats why I prefer that they would just put them in proper armor and helmets, because then, if you dont get your eyes pierced, your shield + armor will survive such a barrage of arrows if you have mail armor and a good helmet. There are accounts of crusaders coming out of the battle looking like hedgehogs with all the arrows sticking out, but they were unharmed.
Niue Le Dragon
Dragoon

Post by Le Dragon »

umeu wrote:the bodies part was quite over the top XD but bodies do pile up, just not so crazy high. The surrounding wasnt that unrealistic, the phalanx was a bit out of blue because no one has ever heard of a northern falanx lol, it also doesnt really go with their image of being strong individual fighters but having rather poor discipline. But its possible.

About arrows not hitting jon, thats why I prefer that they would just put them in proper armor and helmets, because then, if you dont get your eyes pierced, your shield + armor will survive such a barrage of arrows if you have mail armor and a good helmet. There are accounts of crusaders coming out of the battle looking like hedgehogs with all the arrows sticking out, but they were unharmed.

Armour is useless in GoT. The Mountain's armour crumples like foil. Compare that to what you see here.

The phalanx reflected how people fought in the middle ages. It was probably the most realistic part of the battle.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

they didnt fight in phalanx, they fought in a shield wall, phalanx typically had smaller shields, european armies didnt really use the pike again until the late middle ages. But ye, the keeping of formation and disciplined fighting was the most realistic compared to the chaos :P its kinda funny that they started with chaos and then went to order, instead of the more logical other way around.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Im just sad there is only one episode left of this season - and then there will be a short season next year. Then finito finale :flowers: :sad: by by to best series ever :idea: I wonder what, and when we see anything that can compare to Game of Thrones??
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Can see the spinoff series which HBO will also ruin before GRRM finishes (the adventures of dunk and egg)
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

:devilrazz: I love that woman has some pretty amazing roles in the serie. Watch it boys - or I come and get your ass with my dragens :devilrazz:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I'd be happy for a spinoff....... It's been overall exellcent and last episode was certainly some of the best TV since breaking bad if not ever. Even if a spinoff was only half as good It be worth watching imo
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

The seven Kingdoms will be ruled by women - I would guess. Good for them! Peace :flowers:
Niue Le Dragon
Dragoon

Post by Le Dragon »

Do NOT compare this series to Breaking Bad. Nothing will ever compare to Breaking Bad.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Breaking bad was awesome. Dexter 2. Just a complete another genre . This series is just best so far!!
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

GOT = the new adventures of Robin Hood with better CGI and sex. Nothing really outstanding.
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

As the series slowly starts to wrap up all I can think about is how much better the show would be if we did not have to watch the Daenerys story arch. Seasons of her parading around esos doing basically nothing. As great as the production value is on game of thrones its plot simply cannot compare to shows like Breaking Bad.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iwillspankyou wrote:Im just sad there is only one episode left of this season - and then there will be a short season next year. Then finito finale :flowers: :sad: by by to best series ever :idea: I wonder what, and when we see anything that can compare to Game of Thrones??

We've seen lots of things better than GoT, though I'll grant you as a fantasy series it's definitely #1. Come to think of it, there's very little good fantasy shows...
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Le Dragon wrote:Do NOT compare this series to Breaking Bad. Nothing will ever compare to Breaking Bad.
Do you even the Wire? Sopranos? Fargo?
BB was great tho
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Agreed wth GS, Bad was great but it can't even sniff the Wire and Sopranos in my book.
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

There is alot of different genre; but I will rate GOT the best of every genre. Its like watching a multi million dollar movie - every time. If I had to rate the best series I ever watched - This would be he one. Not putting the very good; breaking bad, dexter, etc - down. Its just another league imo
United States of America Mvp618
Skirmisher
ESO: Mvp618

Post by Mvp618 »

Maybe one of the greatest shows for the first 4 seasons, but the shows been missing something since then. The show creators love to talk about fear for the characters and their safety. Arya gets stabbed in the stomach and is fine. Jon rides towards a hail of arrows and is fine. It lost that realism that you do not see in other fantasy series. Its slowly turned into the Lord of the Rings good vs evil, with predictable outcomes for major characters. Even the characters that they've killed are being brought back.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iwillspankyou wrote:There is alot of different genre; but I will rate GOT the best of every genre. Its like watching a multi million dollar movie - every time. If I had to rate the best series I ever watched - This would be he one. Not putting the very good; breaking bad, dexter, etc - down. Its just another league imo

Seems to me you haven't watched every great show though. Try the Wire for starters, or the Sopranos if you need fast(er) pacing.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I would say the series has been good all the time - even getting better imo
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I have watched some of those series @Goodspeed - watched The Wire with no subs - and got bored. I have seen most of Sopranos. If I have a lot of time to spend - I will try the Wire once more since you are so persistent. If you say its awsome - I will take your word for it :love:
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

n0eL wrote:Agreed wth GS, Bad was great but it can't even sniff the Wire and Sopranos in my book.
The Wire was great. The Sopranos is good, nothing much.