England maybe leave EU june 23.

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: England maybe leave EU june 23.

Post by Dolan »

It's a bad idea, imo, politically. Because in the long term it will create mistrust between different speeds. And the more influential EU countries will be seen as arrogant and bossy. Which is what is starting to happen right now. Romania has opposed Merkel's and Hollande's idea to create a multispeed Europe and it's like nobody even noticed we exist.

In the meantime both Germany and France are exploiting our cheap but qualified workforce, producing cars, using our medical staff in their countries, our programmers and so on. It's nice to produce Renault cars for cheap, keep your employees at about 5-600 euros salary per month, then sell those Dacia cars in Europe for like 10000 euros.

Contrary to what people think, Eastern European states right now are more exploited by richer EU states, than the other way around. The few billions of euros we get in EU funds are peanuts money to the tens of billions of profits they get from selling cars made here or employing cheaper medical staff or programmers.

So when I hear these hypocrites whining and bitching about how the EU is so bad for them, but they don't even bother to check some facts, it makes me want to have an Eastern Union.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:It's a bad idea, imo, politically. Because in the long term it will create mistrust between different speeds. And the more influential EU countries will be seen as arrogant and bossy. Which is what is starting to happen right now. Romania has opposed Merkel's and Hollande's idea to create a multispeed Europe and it's like nobody even noticed we exist.

In the meantime both Germany and France are exploiting our cheap but qualified workforce, producing cars, using our medical staff in their countries, our programmers and so on. It's nice to produce Renault cars for cheap, keep your employees at about 5-600 euros salary per month, then sell those Dacia cars in Europe for like 10000 euros.

Contrary to what people think, Eastern European states right now are more exploited by richer EU states, than the other way around. The few billions of euros we get in EU funds are peanuts money to the tens of billions of profits they get from selling cars made here or employing cheaper medical staff or programmers.

So when I hear these hypocrites whining and bitching about how the EU is so bad for them, but they don't even bother to check some facts, it makes me want to have an Eastern Union.

Multispeed implies that everyone gets to the same destination, just at different rates. In a multi-tier Europe, every state besides the 'core' members of the EU gets to pick and choose the policies it wants, without any commitment to further integration. It's the exact opposite of the status quo in which Brussels is stubborn about the terms of membership that every state signs up to.
Top quality poster.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Dolan wrote:Yeah, I think we Eastern states should make our own Union, tbh. Considering how much potential for growth we have, I mean Romania has the highest GDP growth in Europe. By comparison, in the West everything has been tried, mass-produced, solved.

If I give you some vegetables to taste, I guarantee you vegetables from Eastern Europe will have a great taste. Whereas the perfectly produced, high-tech veggies made in the Netherlands will taste like cardboard. Can't explain that. It's like technology has taken out any trace of taste from Dutch products, tbh.

I dont know what this post even is.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Jerom wrote:I dont know what this post even is.

It was a reply to what you said about Europe being very unequally developed. Just as Western countries have their own advantages, so do Eastern countries because of X reasons, I argued. The vegetables thing was an example.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Meh, I think there's not many things to mention in that sense. And your argument was really subjective.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

no dutch food is very well seasoned, think of a lamb kebab, of a chicken satay or curry, or a delicious roti.

also dutch have great desserts, best desserts in the world actually, never have i seen such great desserts, except maybe in france, maybe the french have better desserts. And well the italians maybe too, but the best pies, definitely dutch pies.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Thats bullshit mostly. Most student's cafeteria's Ive been in served warm food in the afternoon, even though dutchies do indeed eat bread themselves. Bread that is, btw, much better than the other crap in my eyes. It's at the very least a matter of opinion.

And about the restaurants, idk what the fuck is wrong with this guy. I've been to so many restaurants abroad and so far only in NL theres a garantuee that you'll be eating something you couldn't have made yourself. Italian restaurants are the only thing that comes close. And I have been to a lot of different restaurants.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

:hmm:
That's weird, because I never heard of Dutch cuisine or restaurants with Dutch food.

When I was living in Brussels, they had Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Lebanese, Indian, Greek, Italian (ofc), etc, even Slovenian and Romanian restaurants there, but there was no Dutch cuisine restaurant. And that was in Belgium. I'm sure there must be some, but I never heard of them.

Same when I was in other countries (Portugal, Italy, Germany).
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

umeu wrote:no dutch food is very well seasoned, think of a lamb kebab, of a chicken satay or curry, or a delicious roti.

Kebab - Turkish
Chicken satay - Malay (I think)
curry food - Indian
roti - Indian (?)

They all seem imported recipes.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

nah
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote::hmm:
That's weird, because I never heard of Dutch cuisine or restaurants with Dutch food.

When I was living in Brussels, they had Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Lebanese, Indian, Greek, Italian (ofc), etc, even Slovenian and Romanian restaurants there, but there was no Dutch cuisine restaurant. And that was in Belgium. I'm sure there must be some, but I never heard of them.

Same when I was in other countries (Portugal, Italy, Germany).

True, what is Dutch cuisine exactly? The Belgians have their waffles, but what about the Dutch? Even the English have their own cuisine (though possibly the least appetising in the world).
Top quality poster.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

Weed EleGiggle
r]
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

I guess that makes sense.
Top quality poster.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

There is no real restaurant worthy dutch cuisine but that doesnt mean that dutch restaurants serve poor food. Id rather be at a Dutch restaurant than any other restaurant ive been to.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Redacted for offensive content
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

lejend wrote:There's this peanut butter thing that the Dutch eat with fries ("chips"). It's certainly much better than that third-world crap that Umeo mentioned.

But I of course am aware that the Mediterranean peoples are the "master race" of cuisine.

Debatable. Indian and Thai food are also really good.
Top quality poster.
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Not really. That food is greasy and smelly and stains the mouth and teeth, and you generally feel unwell after having it. And those types of restaurants tend to have poor standards for hygiene and stuff.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I think most people would agree that nothing beats french cuisine on every level: taste, technique, influence around the world. Not necessarily speaking from personal experience since I haven't travelled enough to say that, but from what I heard from people who did.
Also judging a cuisine by a few cheap restaurant you've been too doesn't really seem relevant to me, most of what you eat at these place are frozen meals anyway. Paris is filled with those, just for tourists. Makes me realize I never tried a dutch restaurant.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag lejend
Jaeger

Post by lejend »

Does French cuisine vary by region? I've only ever heard of Provencal food.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'd say it's a form of regionalism, because other non-EU states couldn't have the same facilities to invest in other EU countries as EU members do. The EU is basically a form of regional economic integration (that has political ambitions too => Euro parliament, Euro elections).

There is some degree of ambivalence in the EU's global status, though. That's why EU states like Germany, Italy are represented directly in the G8 group, but the EU is also represented separately. I think ideally they would want the EU to represent all EU states globally, but since the EU is an unfinished project, this also shows at the level of global representation.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

lejend wrote:Does French cuisine vary by region? I've only ever heard of Provencal food.

of course
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

lejend wrote:Not really. That food is greasy and smelly and stains the mouth and teeth, and you generally feel unwell after having it. And those types of restaurants tend to have poor standards for hygiene and stuff.

typical, wants to be a westerner so bad he starts to hate on his own food. you really want to be accepted don't you?