England maybe leave EU june 23.

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Re: England maybe leave EU june 23.

Post by spanky4ever »

@Dolan its still true though :cry:
Only one in 10 UK voters say they can name a member of the European parliament in their region, and even fewer have ever contacted one, according to a new poll that highlights widespread public disengagement with the EU.

Opinium found that just 27% of UK voters could name José Manuel Barroso as president of the European commission, while 19% said the job was filled by Angela Merkel, the German chancellor.

https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... hmRgRQRPmw

When you speak about Norway, saying we are not snow white! I never claimed we where, but all of the Nordic countries rank high regarding little corruption. https://www.google.no/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2_ZDWT65vw
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's because people know MEPs are less important.

Also UK is and was the land of eurosceptics. They never really liked the EU, so I guess their voters weren't much interested in their EU representatives either. Just compare how the UK media writes about EU stuff and how other media writes about it. UK voters get flooded with negative articles about the EU, as if nothing positive every happens "there".

Everything bad in the UK literally happens because of the EU. But.... now... they are taking their country back!!!111 and everything is gonna be all-right again. The EU was causing them massive grievance, all this will be fixed. It was enough for them to leave the EU and everything is gonna fix itself now.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:That's because people know MEPs are less important.

Also UK is and was the land of eurosceptics. They never really liked the EU, so I guess their voters weren't much interested in their EU representatives either.

It's true that much of Brexitland here in the UK could be mistaken for the less fashionable parts of Bucharest. I doubt anyone would notice a difference between a Romanian countryside village and the rural Black Country.
Top quality poster.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Dolan wrote:That's because people know MEPs are less important.

Also UK is and was the land of eurosceptics. They never really liked the EU, so I guess their voters weren't much interested in their EU representatives either. Just compare how the UK media writes about EU stuff and how other media writes about it. UK voters get flooded with negative articles about the EU, as if nothing positive every happens "there".

Everything bad in the UK literally happens because of the EU. But.... now... they are taking their country back!!!111 and everything is gonna be all-right again. The EU was causing them massive grievance, all this will be fixed. It was enough for them to leave the EU and everything is gonna fix itself now.

I am the first to recognize that your knowledge about EU, far over go mine @Dolan. Most of the things I know about EU, makes me very skeptical about it, especially the Top-down structure, and the gathering of all that power than can overrule the national states, combined with the lack of democracy (as I see it) :!:

I am curious to know what you think is the biggest issues with EU, that are flawed and needs adjustments.
Further I would like to know what, in your opinion; are the difficulties that EU faces right now, and in the future - especially when UK leaves?

What do you think are the right solutions to tackle the problems in the now, and in the future :?: And why you think the solutions you have, are the best?
I really want to hear your opinions on this :smile:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

iwillspankyou wrote:I am curious to know what you think is the biggest issues with EU, that are flawed and needs adjustments.

• Biggest issue right now is uncontrolled immigration. I think Germany made a mistake when they allowed a few millions of migrants in Europe from countries that were not even in a warzone. Those who aren't war refugees should be sent back and those who are war refugees should be sent back when the war is over and their country undergoes reconstruction. People from Africa or Asia must understand that they don't have a birth right to live in Europe, just like I don't have a birth right to live in the USA or Japan.
  • Second biggest issue in the EU is the euro currency and the debt problems in a few EU countries. Both are complicated issues that can't be solved in one forum post.
  • Third biggest issue is a common defence policy that would help the EU become militarily independent from the US.
There are other smaller issues that need to be resolved, but these are the most critical right now.
For example, the EU is not perceived as something that is part of people's everyday life, so that's why many people think the EU is just a bunch of eurocrats in Brussels who are only interested in controlling countries for their own reasons. So maybe the EU needs to do more to be more transparent about what it does and how it benefits people.
Further I would like to know what, in your opinion; are the difficulties that EU faces right now, and in the future - especially when UK leaves?

Well, the EU budget is funded based on a 7-year cycle (the so-called multi-annual financial framework) and once the UK leaves the EU, there will obviously be a financial hole in the EU budget, at least from 2020 forwards, when the current multi-annual budget ends. I'm saying "at least" because, depending on how Brexit negotiations unfold, it's also possible this hole in the budget may appear earlier, if the UK refuses to pay their dues. This could mean either that the EU will have to cut expenses or increase the financial contributions of each remaining EU member to the budget.

Then there will be the issue with the hard border between Ireland and the UK, which would separate Northern Ireland from Ireland. The Northern Ireland conflict that was concluded by the Belfast agreement in 1998 didn't make any provision for such a situation, so a hard border could potentially lead to Irish republicans challenging the status-quo again. They're already undermining the power-sharing arrangement that worked until now between Unionists and Republicans.
The border issue between Ireland and the UK will be very important, because a soft border could create something like a backdoor entrance to the EU, which could potentially be exploited. But then, if it's gonna be a hard border (with strict border checks etc), this is going to rattle Irish people on both sides of the border.

There will also be some security issues, once the UK leaves the EU, since cooperation between the police and the judiciary on both sides could be more difficult to achieve. This depends on the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, though, so maybe they will make sure this won't happen.

There are also some opportunities for the EU after the UK leaves, since the UK has always been opposed to more ambitious EU projects, especially common defence ones. So when the UK will be out of the EU, it's possible some of those ideas could be revisited.
What do you think are the right solutions to tackle the problems in the now, and in the future :?: And why you think the solutions you have, are the best?

One could easily write a few books on this subject, so I'll just jot down a few things that come to mind:

• To fix the euro problem, the EU needs to find a way to reduce economic disparities between the richest and the poorest states that are part of the Eurozone. The next logical step would be to create a common fiscal policy and a EU treasury of some sort, if they really want the currency to have a proper fiscal backing. Right now, the euro looks like unfinished business.
  • There's no easy fix for the sovereign debt predicament. If some of the debt were written off, this would translate into losses to pension funds in other countries or in savings made by other people. So the best thing to do first is to stop having imbalanced budgets, imo, basically cutting deficits as close to zero as possible. Countries should aim at having budgetary surplus in the next decades, to be able to gradually reduce the burden of public debt.
  • I think the EU needs a new vision, maybe. Right now many people, both critics and fans, seem to think the EU is secretly dreaming of becoming a reincarnation of the Roman empire. But the EU is not even a single state, let alone an empire. It has no imperial ambitions, it was not created to conquer or colonise any territories. First of all, there is no common European ethnic conscience, people don't think of themselves first as being European. So, there's no European body politic and, as a consequence, there can't be a true European politics. Therefore, there won't be a true European president either. We're not going to see people from Italy or France first paying attention to European politics and secondly to their own national politics, as if the latter were just local issues. That's why the EU won't become anything like a single state, as many fearmongers are saying, not in the least because national politicians will never let go of their comfortable national power seats. So the EU project will, for the foreseeable future remain stuck somewhere in the middle, between ambitions and Realpolitik. (Unless we all want to learn the same language and become the New Romans.)
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Solving the euro is easy, just get rid of it.
Top quality poster.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

thx @Dolan that was a very comprehensive answer :love:
lots and lots of food for thought :idea:
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

EU sucks.

/thread
[Sith] - Baphomet
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The eu is God
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

and god doesn't exist
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Dublin draining City of London dry
US bank JP Morgan is buying a landmark office building in the Irish capital in a significant boost for the city.

It already has 500 staff in Dublin but will double that in a 22-storey yet-to-be-built tower block on the south of the river Liffey.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch, which already has a presence in Dublin, has also spoken of expanding in the city, while Goldman Sachs is to start moving hundreds of staff out of London before a Brexit deal is struck, the bank’s European boss has confirmed.

Thought I should share ;).
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:Dublin draining City of London dry
US bank JP Morgan is buying a landmark office building in the Irish capital in a significant boost for the city.

It already has 500 staff in Dublin but will double that in a 22-storey yet-to-be-built tower block on the south of the river Liffey.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch, which already has a presence in Dublin, has also spoken of expanding in the city, while Goldman Sachs is to start moving hundreds of staff out of London before a Brexit deal is struck, the bank’s European boss has confirmed.

Thought I should share ;).

strange how they aren't moving to Bucharest given the fast internet they have there. what do you think, dolan?
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

It's good that they don't. We don't want a bunch of speculators and shekel traders here. I'd rather see more companies that create tangible assets than paper peddlers.

Don't worry, bruh, you'll get 1Gpbs internet one day in the UK. Until then

Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

When the war in syria is over every refugge should be sent back. They have no reason to stay any longer in Germany
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:It's good that they don't. We don't want a bunch of speculators and shekel traders here. I'd rather see more companies that create tangible assets than paper peddlers.

Don't worry, bruh, you'll get 1Gpbs internet one day in the UK. Until then

You mean companies like google?
Top quality poster.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:It's good that they don't. We don't want a bunch of speculators and shekel traders here. I'd rather see more companies that create tangible assets than paper peddlers.
Some great jobs though. As a dev working at a bank would be quite interesting.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Laurence Drake wrote:You mean companies like google?

Ye, keep the botnet in London. Image

Goodspeed wrote:Some great jobs though. As a dev working at a bank would be quite interesting.

Yeah, but on the other hand, banks and large financial companies bring lot of "hot money" in an economy, so they add a lot of volatility to the environment.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

*a lot of "hot money"
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:You mean companies like google?

Ye, keep the botnet in London. Image

Goodspeed wrote:Some great jobs though. As a dev working at a bank would be quite interesting.

Yeah, but on the other hand, banks and large financial companies bring lot of "hot money" in an economy, so they add a lot of volatility to the environment.

must be a good thing that they're leaving then. guess brexit will be a success after all!
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, financial services in the UK account for 7-10% of the GDP (depending on which estimation you use). In London they're like 50% of the city's revenue.

So yeah, it's gonna be fun.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:Well, financial services in the UK account for 7-10% of the GDP (depending on which estimation you use). In London they're like 50% of the city's revenue.

So yeah, it's gonna be fun.

Omg you're right, maybe the people here are going to be as poor as the primitive shitstains in Bucharest some day.
Top quality poster.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

wow i really really wish i could edit posts in this forum haha
Top quality poster.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

i could've just deleted my last one and reposted but its too late now
Top quality poster.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

What a mess
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I haven't read much about brexit the past few months, but pretty sure the jobs that are moving are back office roles anyway, i.e not bringing revenue
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham