Crack that neck?

Place open for new posts ā€” threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

To Crack that neck?

Crack that neck, it feel good
62%
Don't crack that neck, probs break your neck
4%
Go for the back crack instead
19%
On second thought u no want broken back either
15%

Total votes: 26

No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

jam wrote:
moespub wrote:Here we are.
Theres something not quite right about it, but I cant place my finger on it.
I couldnt possibly know what you mean.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Metis »

I used to have a friend who saw a chiropractor twice a week at $40 a pop. Immediately after the "treatment" she would feel better but then the pain would come back. Try as I might I never could get it through her head that all he was doing was temporarily making her nerves transmit an irritation signal, which prevented them from transmitting a pain signal. A tube of icy-hot ointment would accomplish the same thing and cost ten times less.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Crack that neck?

Post by gibson »

metis wrote:I used to have a friend who saw a chiropractor twice a week at $40 a pop. Immediately after the "treatment" she would feel better but then the pain would come back. Try as I might I never could get it through her head that all he was doing was temporarily making her nerves transmit an irritation signal, which prevented them from transmitting a pain signal. A tube of icy-hot ointment would accomplish the same thing and cost ten times less.

in my opinion chiropractors are basically scam artists. Either you or your insurance pays out the ass for them to poke you for a few minutes. I genuinely doubt there is any long term positive effects from it. If your wealthy, maybe the short term benefits are worth it to you, but for the average person it seems like a bad idea to visit one.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Crack that neck?

Post by SoldieR »

This thread +1
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Crack that neck?

Post by evilcheadar »

There's a guy I know who's back got messed up by a chiropractor and had to get it fixed at by an orthopedic surgeon.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Canada Jam
Jaeger
ESO: Hyperactive Jam

Crack that neck?

Post by Jam »

don't quack my back
Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Metis »

I've worked with a lot of DOs (doctors of osteopathy), which are another type of medical doctor with a four-year medical degree and an accredited medical residency just the same as MDs. They really hate it that the public seems to equate them with chiropractors.

Chiropractors claim (and this is from the ACA website) that they "receive more intensive education than their MD counterparts in the areas of anatomy, physiology, rehabilitation, nutrition and public health." However, the chiropractor accreditation course is 4,200 contact hours. To put this into perspective, my one-year intensive care technician course was 1,800 contact hours. The contact hours that a board certified medical doctor receives in his four years of medical school plus three to five years of residency is something like 12,000 or more.

Looking at the curricula for several accredited chiropractor schools I do find that they receive significant education in anatomy, physiology and pathology, as do most other medical practitioners. I hope that they apply this training to understanding what they can treat by manipulation and what they should pass along to a real medical doctor or surgeon.

I worked in clinical medicine for several years and learned pretty quick that not everyone who comes in needs to actually see a doctor. About 75% of what comes into a clinic can be treated symptomatically by someone with a basic medical training because the condition is going to get better on its own anyway. The main problem is knowing what you can treat and what to pass on. The main problem I have with chiropractors is that a good many get addicted to that guaranteed weekly income and don't really try to cure the condition.

It's like the old joke about the young doctor that comes in to help out in his dad's clinic and proudly announces that he finally cured rich old Mrs. Smith's lumbago. His dad says, "Why did you do that? Mrs. Smith's lumbago put you through medical school!"
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Metis, how did you ever become so full of knowledge? Which of the eternal heavenly muses blessed you with such inspired revelations?
Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Metis »

"We are as dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants, so that we can see more things than they, and things at a greater distance, not at any rate by virtue of sharpness of sight on our part, or any physical excellence, but because we are assisted and lifted up by their giant size." -- Bernard of Chartres ca. 1100 CE
Gendarme

Crack that neck?

Post by evilcheadar »

Okay, both the heads of my humeruses feel really unstable and can slide in and out of my glenoid cavity. I can like twist my arms and massive cracks come from my shoulders. There is no pain however. Just utterly massive cracks that I can keep doing over and over again. Anyone got a diagnosis?

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Crack that neck?

Post by momuuu »

I thought the shoulders of giants quote was Newton's.
Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Metis »

jerom wrote:I thought the shoulders of giants quote was Newton''s.
The "shoulders of giants" quote appears to have been quite popular in the 17th Century but it comes from hundreds of years before. It''s commonly attributed to Newton due to his notoriety but he was only one of many who quoted it. I can see why, it''s a damn good statement.
Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Metis »

evilcheadar wrote: Anyone got a diagnosis?
Sorry, I''m trained in emergency medicine, not orthopedics. If it''s not going to kill you in the next 30 minutes then I''m not all that well versed in its diagnosis and treatment.
Gendarme

Crack that neck?

Post by evilcheadar »

metis wrote:
evilcheadar wrote: Anyone got a diagnosis?
Sorry, Im trained in emergency medicine, not orthopedics. If its not going to kill you in the next 30 minutes then Im not all that well versed in its diagnosis and treatment.
Ok heres some emergency medicine questions. So CPR is meant to manually circulate blood in a body without a heartbeat/breathing right? The compressions are acting on the heart right but what about the lungs? Can the heart restart without the lungs and circulate deoxygenated blood?
Also whats it like when the patient comes to with a ribcage from what I understand is crushed to hell. My uncle was recently successfully resuscitated so I was wondering about it.

Howdah

Crack that neck?

Post by Metis »

Traditionally, chest compressions were thought only to maintain circulation whereas inflation was necessary for air exchange in the lungs. However, now its known that the positive thoracic pressure of chest compressions alone will result in some air exchange in the lungs too. While lung inflation is always preferred if the right training and equipment is available, without said equipment most people are reticent to perform mouth-to-mouth due to the very real danger of virus and bacterial transmission. Therefore, the AHA suggests that the general public perform compressions alone.

Untrained Lay Rescuer
If a bystander is not trained in CPR, then the bystander should provide Hands-Only (chest compression only) CPR, with an emphasis on ??push hard and fast,? or follow the directions of the emergency medical dispatcher. The rescuer should continue Hands-Only CPR until an AED arrives and is ready for use or healthcare providers take over care of the victim (Class IIa, LOE B).

Trained Lay Rescuer
All lay rescuers should, at a minimum, provide chest compressions for victims of cardiac arrest. In addition, if the trained lay rescuer is able to perform rescue breaths, he or she should add rescue breaths in a ratio of 30 compressions to 2 breaths. The rescuer should continue CPR until an AED arrives and is ready for use or EMS providers take over care of the victim (Class I, LOE B).
Properly performed CPR compresses the ribcage two inches. This can result in separation of the ribs from the sternum and also cause internal bruising (especially in patients taking anticoagulants). CPR is like getting punched in the chest, over and over. However, the alternative is generally death.
Gendarme

Crack that neck?

Post by evilcheadar »

Well keep on crackin' folks.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Crack that neck?

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I used to crack a lack my fingers... Can't play aoe for poop anymore
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Re: Crack that neck?

so now im hearing that crack a lacking your neck isnt actually bad and will not result in a broken neck. so i guess go ahead and just do it.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

fightinfrenchman wrote:so now im hearing that crack a lacking your neck isnt actually bad and will not result in a broken neck. so i guess go ahead and just do it.

That crackalacking is something u will pay for.

No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Jerom wrote:I thought the shoulders of giants quote was Newton's.

No
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)