Early thankfulness thread

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Early thankfulness thread

Post by fightinfrenchman »

So Canadian Thanksgiving has come and gone I believe and we are quickly approaching the American version of the same holiday. Basically the point of it is to say things you are thankful for (and also eat a lot)

So I'll start us off: I'm thankful for drive throughs! I can get food without getting out of my car.

:ear:
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Switzerland _venox_
Howdah
ESO: _Venox_

Re: Early thankfulness thread

Post by _venox_ »

Chocolate, cheese and cotton candy.
Don't let the things you can't change dictate your life.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Fall is by far my favorite season. The weather is nice and cool. The maples are turning red and the cottonwoods bright yellow. Two dead trees have been chainsawed up and hauled away and the stumps are now soaking in potassium nitrate solution in preparation for burning sometime this winter.

My pumpkin patch has been harvested and the pumpkins are adorning the porch as "jack-o-lanterns." I recently welded up a cart to pull behind the lawn tractor and it came in handy hauling the pumpkins. I've got the garden taken down, tilled, composted and ready for next Spring's seedbed.

Speaking of compost, I've been playing around with worm composting. I don't know if they will give me all the compost I need but the little wigglers do take care of my kitchen scraps and waste paper nicely. In fact, they are about to overpopulate their "house" so I'll need to build them another before long. After Winter is over, I'll keep a few as seed stock but in the Spring most of them are going out in the garden.

The nights are cool but not cold. However, I've been building shelving around the perimeter of the "sun room," which will come in handy for the hundred plus potted flowers that have to be brought in when frost threatens.

Bought me a carpet cleaner with a wand attachment and been taking advantage of the nice weather detailing the vehicles. The trucks' interiors have not looked so good since they left the showroom floor. I need to start doing the Fall maintenance on all the equipment soon and have stocked up on oil and filters in preparation. One of the lawn tractors needs a new front end, so I'll be working on that too.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

iNcog wrote:What do you do with pumpkins?

I've never tasted pumpkin which I like

The "pumpkin" that people buy in cans and make pies, bread and rolls out of is actually not the traditional "pumpkin" at all but sweet squash. Actual pumpkins are edible but tend to be stringier than squash (which, as the name implies, is easily squashed up). Thus, real pumpkin is less good at being "pumpkin" than fake pumpkin. Actually, squash and pumpkin are just different cultivars of the same plant species Cucurbita pepo and will readily cross. Plant your summer squash too near a pumpkin plant and you get a hard, bright-orange squash that is not good for much but ornamentation. I use these squash and the pumpkins for decoration in the Fall. The pumpkin pie filling I get out of a can.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Metis wrote:Fall is by far my favorite season. The weather is nice and cool. The maples are turning red and the cottonwoods bright yellow. Two dead trees have been chainsawed up and hauled away and the stumps are now soaking in potassium nitrate solution in preparation for burning sometime this winter.

My pumpkin patch has been harvested and the pumpkins are adorning the porch as "jack-o-lanterns." I recently welded up a cart to pull behind the lawn tractor and it came in handy hauling the pumpkins. I've got the garden taken down, tilled, composted and ready for next Spring's seedbed.

Speaking of compost, I've been playing around with worm composting. I don't know if they will give me all the compost I need but the little wigglers do take care of my kitchen scraps and waste paper nicely. In fact, they are about to overpopulate their "house" so I'll need to build them another before long. After Winter is over, I'll keep a few as seed stock but in the Spring most of them are going out in the garden.

The nights are cool but not cold. However, I've been building shelving around the perimeter of the "sun room," which will come in handy for the hundred plus potted flowers that have to be brought in when frost threatens.

Bought me a carpet cleaner with a wand attachment and been taking advantage of the nice weather detailing the vehicles. The trucks' interiors have not looked so good since they left the showroom floor. I need to start doing the Fall maintenance on all the equipment soon and have stocked up on oil and filters in preparation. One of the lawn tractors needs a new front end, so I'll be working on that too.

Be careful with the potassium nitrate solution. If those nitrates get in the pool, you're toast!
Howdah

Post by Metis »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Metis wrote:If those nitrates get in the pool, you're toast!

Ammonium nitrate N2H4O3 is a commonly used fertilizer and works well as it is rich in nitrogen in a form that can be easily utilized by plants. Nitrates and other fertilizers are what enable farmers here in Kansas to help feed the world.

However, too much nitrate from over-application of fertilizer can be a problem in the Midwest as it can cause algal blooms and also "blue baby" syndrome, which happens when infants drink well water with too high of a nitrate content and their leftover fetal hemoglobin has a higher affinity for the nitrate rather than for oxygen.

Potassium nitrate, is wonderful stuff in its own right with a myriad of uses. The traditional use of the stuff, which AOE fans should appreciate, is that it it the main oxidizer present in black gunpowder and also was used in the slow matches that were used to ignite cannons and matchlock muskets.

Once a stump permeates with nitrate it will burn easily. Potassium nitrate mixed with any organic compound will cause it to burn readily. You can make homemade rocket motor fuel from potassium nitrate and powdered sugar.

In this day and age, ammonium nitrate has gotten a sort of a bad rep with the general public because of its use by nefarious individuals. However, it's legitimate explosive use far outweighs the illegitimate. In fact, it is the main ingredient in the most widely used industrial explosive.

If you have never heard of it, this documentary on the Texas City explosion is well worth watching:

In 1947, a fire on a ship filled with ammonium nitrate cause an explosion that had the equivalent yield of a small atomic bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-d6cqhCJNE
Howdah

Post by Metis »

BTW, being "thankful" in the sense of thanking a deity is really thanking nothing. Be thankful of all the hard work put in by humans in tilling the soil, planting the seed, cultivating, weeding and harvesting the crops, raising the livestock, slaughtering and butchering the meat and then preparing, cooking and serving the meal.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Metis wrote:BTW, being "thankful" in the sense of thanking a deity is really thanking nothing. Be thankful of all the hard work put in by humans in tilling the soil, planting the seed, cultivating, weeding and harvesting the crops, raising the livestock, slaughtering and butchering the meat and then preparing, cooking and serving the meal.

I'm not thankful of a deity I'm thankful of Wendy's for letting me get food without getting out of car.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Metis wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Metis wrote:If those nitrates get in the pool, you're toast!

Ammonium nitrate N2H4O3 is a commonly used fertilizer and works well as it is rich in nitrogen in a form that can be easily utilized by plants. Nitrates and other fertilizers are what enable farmers here in Kansas to help feed the world.

However, too much nitrate from over-application of fertilizer can be a problem in the Midwest as it can cause algal blooms and also "blue baby" syndrome, which happens when infants drink well water with too high of a nitrate content and their leftover fetal hemoglobin has a higher affinity for the nitrate rather than for oxygen.

Potassium nitrate, is wonderful stuff in its own right with a myriad of uses. The traditional use of the stuff, which AOE fans should appreciate, is that it it the main oxidizer present in black gunpowder and also was used in the slow matches that were used to ignite cannons and matchlock muskets.

Once a stump permeates with nitrate it will burn easily. Potassium nitrate mixed with any organic compound will cause it to burn readily. You can make homemade rocket motor fuel from potassium nitrate and powdered sugar.

In this day and age, ammonium nitrate has gotten a sort of a bad rep with the general public because of its use by nefarious individuals. However, it's legitimate explosive use far outweighs the illegitimate. In fact, it is the main ingredient in the most widely used industrial explosive.

If you have never heard of it, this documentary on the Texas City explosion is well worth watching:

In 1947, a fire on a ship filled with ammonium nitrate cause an explosion that had the equivalent yield of a small atomic bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-d6cqhCJNE

Nitrates cause pools to get full of algae and it's really hard to get rid of.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Metis wrote:pools... get full of algae and it's really hard to get rid of.

I know. When I first got out of the Army, I worked for a year in the University's sports complex. I once cleaned an entire Olympic-sized swimming pool with a scrub brush and Oxalic acid.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Metis wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Metis wrote:pools... get full of algae and it's really hard to get rid of.

I know. When I first got out of the Army, I worked for a year in the University's sports complex. I once cleaned an entire Olympic-sized swimming pool with a scrub brush and Oxalic acid.

You can't get rid of nitrates. Only way is to drain the pool!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Howdah

Post by Metis »

iNcog wrote:How do you clean a swimming pool with a brush without first draining it?

It was drained. There was so much algae that I actually thought it was a green pool until the acid started turning it white again.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Metis wrote:
iNcog wrote:How do you clean a swimming pool with a brush without first draining it?

It was drained. There was so much algae that I actually thought it was a green pool until the acid started turning it white again.

Did you try treating it for phosphates before draining it?
Howdah

Post by Metis »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Did you try treating it for phosphates before draining it?

I didn't drain it. This is a University pool we are talking about. A freshman doesn't have that sort of authority. I was just hired to clean it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

It's finally November that means y'all better get your thankfulness lists ready!
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

I am thankful for the ESOC Council.
Top quality poster.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

I'm thankful for the presence of Fred Herbert in my life. I am specifically not thankful for being unbanned, since being banned in the first place was an act of terror used against me that should never have happened.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I'm thankful for the presence of Fred Herbert in my life. I am specifically not thankful for being unbanned, since being banned in the first place was an act of terror used against me that should never have happened.

you should be thankful the act of terror was made right?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

milku3459 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I'm thankful for the presence of Fred Herbert in my life. I am specifically not thankful for being unbanned, since being banned in the first place was an act of terror used against me that should never have happened.

you should be thankful the act of terror was made right?

Don't bump threads
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

-- deleted post --

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

im thankful that i have to work 20ish hours over the next two days! amazing op
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I'm thankful that I'm thankful for more than one day a year.
Pay more attention to detail.