The Existence of God

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Re: The Existence of God

Post by Laurence Drake »

Not while people refuse to respond to me.
Top quality poster.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

There isn't a single person in this forum that can demonstrate the existence of God. Case closed.
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

The level of stupidity in this post... The concept of 'God' is not to be seen as some living entity that takes care of us/judges us. That's merely the interpretation of fundamentalists.
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

Laurence Drake wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Don't even have the faith to argue with this pile of shit. Anyway trying to convince other people that your belief is true is pointless and will never work

You're just frustrated because my logic is so bullet-proof you'll never find ways to argue against it.

Faith is not about logic, and why are you trying so hard to persuade others that your point of view is right? If you believe in something that's great, but is your faith so petty that it can only survive if others believe it with you?
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Marco1698 wrote:There isn't a single person in this forum that can demonstrate the existence of God. Case closed.

No there isn't, and that's not important anyway because no one here is trying to do that.

manwithoutname wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Don't even have the faith to argue with this pile of shit. Anyway trying to convince other people that your belief is true is pointless and will never work

You're just frustrated because my logic is so bullet-proof you'll never find ways to argue against it.

Faith is not about logic, and why are you trying so hard to persuade others that your point of view is right? If you believe in something that's great, but is your faith so petty that it can only survive if others believe it with you?

Faith is about logic. It just doesn't have to be supported by empirical evidence. People won't believe in something if they think it's illogical. And anyway, I'm not arguing from faith, so your criticisms here aren't relevant.
Top quality poster.
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

Faith is not a science, and therefore must not be treated like one, that's all I wanted to say.

I'm not going into further discussion, it is pointless. Just believe whatever you want to believe and don't try to shuv it up in other people's throats with false arguments based on dumb assumptions.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Laurence Drake wrote:
Marco1698 wrote:There isn't a single person in this forum that can demonstrate the existence of God. Case closed.

No there isn't, and that's not important anyway because no one here is trying to do that.

manwithoutname wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Faith is about logic. It just doesn't have to be supported by empirical evidence. People won't believe in something if they think it's illogical. And anyway, I'm not arguing from faith, so your criticisms here aren't relevant.

I´m sorry? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credo_quia_absurdum
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Isn't the definition of faith "belief not based on logic"?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I stopped when I read "faith is based on logic" or some shit. No lol faith is sort of the opposite of logic.......
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

gibson wrote:I stopped when I read "faith is based on logic" or some shit. No lol faith is sort of the opposite of logic.......

how does your logic explain the existence of life then?
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

It's not illogical to believe something that can't be proven empirically. Scientists do it all the time.
Top quality poster.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Laurence Drake wrote:It's not illogical to believe something that can't be proven empirically. Scientists do it all the time.

I never said that. I said it is not based on logic. That doesn't necessarily make it illogical. Faith in god would qualify as illogical however since it's so unlikely, therefore going against logic.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

Lol I thought this thread died a long time ago. Responding to zoom's last comment, a theist is not going to agree that God existing is so unlikely, so it would not be illogical for them.

Also I think most theists would also describe faith as being beyond reason but not contrary to reason. In the Christian religion (probably most others also) there are different views on how much arguments and evidence should play in one's reasoning for having faith, varying high in both degrees.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

farran34 wrote:Lol I thought this thread died a long time ago. Responding to zoom's last comment, a theist is not going to agree that God existing is so unlikely, so it would not be illogical for them.

Also I think most theists would also describe faith as being beyond reason but not contrary to reason. In the Christian religion (probably most others also) there are different views on how much arguments and evidence should play in one's reasoning for having faith, varying high in both degrees.

Exactly, because a theist dismisses logic.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

zoom wrote:
farran34 wrote:Lol I thought this thread died a long time ago. Responding to zoom's last comment, a theist is not going to agree that God existing is so unlikely, so it would not be illogical for them.

Exactly, because a theist dismisses logic.

How does this dismiss logic? Certainly some theists do dismiss logic and make statements such as, "you just gotta have faith", but most educated theists would believe reason is at least not contrary to their beliefs, if it is not in support of it. There is a difference holding a belief which one believes and argues is rational and justified based upon reasoning and evidence, but requires a degree of faith in the sense that it cannot be proven, and a belief that one holds on no basis of rationality.
No Flag DemonDog
Skirmisher

Post by DemonDog »

You want proof? Just look around you! How do you think that all got there? Jeeze people are dumb....
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

DemonDog wrote:You want proof? Just look around you! How do you think that all got there? Jeeze people are dumb....

I have no idea who you were writing your post for, but your post makes little to no sense without you expanding on all your statements.

You want proof?------- Proof of what?

Just look around you!----- OK what is the significance of this?

How do you think that all got there?------ The stuff around me at this moment or the world and the universe? The answer of this question will depend on who you ask.

Jeeze people are dumb.....----- I agree many people lack intelligence, but what does this have to do with your previous statements?
France ramex12
Skirmisher

Post by ramex12 »

Before deciding wether god exists or not we should put a clear definition of what god is, otherwise this question doesn't make any sense. I think the question "Does something very powerful rule everything that's around us or is it all purely random?" is probably a better question
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

tedere12 wrote:
gibson wrote:I stopped when I read "faith is based on logic" or some shit. No lol faith is sort of the opposite of logic.......

how does your logic explain the existence of life then?

I don't see how that pertains at all to what I said as I made no claims about logic having anything to do with the existence of life, but see zooms comment anyway.....
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

When I was a kid I had an imaginary friend, then I realised god doesn't exist.
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IalWO5N5Wak[/video]
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

ramex12 wrote:Before deciding wether god exists or not we should put a clear definition of what god is, otherwise this question doesn't make any sense. I think the question "Does something very powerful rule everything that's around us or is it all purely random?" is probably a better question

I agree that starting with a question such as, "What is more plausible? Our universe was created by an intelligent, powerful being ---- or our universe was created in some naturalistic way, excluding all possibility of the supernatural."

The general definition of the Judeo-Christian God would be something a long the lines of: An omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent being.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

Why could faith not be based on logic? Many seem to have this connotation that the term faith really means blind-faith with no basis or rationality for its justification of belief. Faith certainly is not identical to logic and involves belief, but what about faith suggests that this belief cannot be grounded in some sort of rational base?
No Flag musketjr
Lancer

Post by musketjr »

farran34 wrote:
ramex12 wrote:Before deciding wether god exists or not we should put a clear definition of what god is, otherwise this question doesn't make any sense. I think the question "Does something very powerful rule everything that's around us or is it all purely random?" is probably a better question

I agree that starting with a question such as, "What is more plausible? Our universe was created by an intelligent, powerful being ---- or our universe was created in some naturalistic way, excluding all possibility of the supernatural."

The general definition of the Judeo-Christian God would be something a long the lines of: An omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent being.

this is an interesting post because unlike most people you expound a bit on how you come to conflate god (as a concept) with the monotheistic-faith god, in respect of the topic.

so obviously that needn't happen. as to the topic, we simply don't know whether existence came about 'naturalistically', as you put it, or otherwise. the mystery remains whatever explanation is thought to apply.
No Flag musketjr
Lancer

Post by musketjr »

farran34 wrote:

Why could faith not be based on logic? Many seem to have this connotation that the term faith really means blind-faith with no basis or rationality for its justification of belief. Faith certainly is not identical to logic and involves belief, but what about faith suggests that this belief cannot be grounded in some sort of rational base?

i think zoi just chose the wrong word. should have said faith isn't based on proof, not that faith isn't based on logic. but i agree with your reply anyway.