The Climate Change Thread

Place open for new posts ā€” threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: The Climate Change Thread

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ā†‘
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:Simple, we just make the earth colder. Or whatever it is that will reverse this mess. Perhaps in a year or 50 we'll have invented something to actually do something like that, who even knows at this point technology is making such massive jumps.

Otherwise the obvious solution seems to be switching to clean energy sources, that's already underway although it doesn't look like it'll be a quick transition.

Just make the world cooler sounds awfully easy. Sucks its not that easy.
Not yet.

How hard did flying to the moon used to sound?

Its easy to make such a statement without knowing much. If you'd dig deeper into physics you will learn that there is a boundary somewhere in the ability to do things. Its not unlikely that making heat just go away is simply impossible. Its actually very probably its not possible, at least not in a more efficient manner than just switching to green energy.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

If you'd dig deeper into physics you will learn that there is a boundary somewhere in the ability to do things
Come on, dream big. Care to explain why you think there are boundaries in our ability to influence the earth's climate? Afaik, we are already experimenting with terraforming which no one doubts is possible and is essentially the same thing.

I'm not pretending I have all the answers, I'm saying we may have them in 50 years or so. Saying it's impossible is short-sighted and for the record, it's not about making heat disappear it's about transferring it or preventing it from even reaching us (think blocking UV rays or reflecting them, or something, I don't know).
Obviously it's all speculation and indeed easy to say, that's why I'm saying it. I knew you weren't going to ;)
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

briowl wrote:ITER will finish in 3 years that is projected to be x10 more than break-even. Depending on how you count it I think some experimenters have already surpassed break-even.
ITER isn't going to be finished anytime in the next 3 years and we won't be seeing it producing any energy in at least 15. Plus it's not even going to be putting anything into the grid.

Source: my dad works in the US ITER office and visits France several times a year to see ITER.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

At this point, we are simply too late on the climate change issue. The damage has been done, and some dangerous forces have been set in motion. Now what should be talking about is how to deal with the consequences of climate change, and how to prevent further damage to the environment. Now, my thoughts:

It's not as simple as breaking up energy companies and firing a bunch of workers like noissance wants to do. By doing that, you are damning millions of people to poverty when we don't even have sufficient clean energy sources yet. This is heartless and hapless approach, and it will alienate large segments of the global population. Instead, I would suggest more environmental regulations while we continue to invest in clean energy technology. This way, dirty energy will simply become obsolete as clean sources become cheaper and more plentiful. Workers from the energy industry will have somewhere to go when their employers ultimately convert or collapse, and we will have backup sources when we finally dump dirty fuel.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

iNcog wrote:There's also the problem of stocking energy. Fossil fuels have a lot of energy per volume (or mass if you want to use that), they completely demolish electric batteries in that regard. Renewable energies are nice because they give a low, but relatively constant flow of energy. But it's not possible to actually stock that energy efficiently for later use. This is bad for aerial and maritime transportation

Hydrogen! We need to move to a hydrogen-based economy from a carbon-based economy
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

Jerom wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Not yet.

How hard did flying to the moon used to sound?

Its easy to make such a statement without knowing much. If you'd dig deeper into physics you will learn that there is a boundary somewhere in the ability to do things. Its not unlikely that making heat just go away is simply impossible. Its actually very probably its not possible, at least not in a more efficient manner than just switching to green energy.

You physicists just need to raise your game. Come on FFS :lol: the world is depending on you just sort it out already!!!!!! :lol:
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

gibson wrote:
briowl wrote:ITER will finish in 3 years that is projected to be x10 more than break-even. Depending on how you count it I think some experimenters have already surpassed break-even.
ITER isn't going to be finished anytime in the next 3 years and we won't be seeing it producing any energy in at least 15. Plus it's not even going to be putting anything into the grid.

Source: my dad works in the US ITER office and visits France several times a year to see ITER.

That's cool. Thanks for the insider view! Global problems, global solns ITER points the way forward
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

@iNcog
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=ej1zv82iMMg[/video]
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

let's bear in mind that it's the first hydrogen car available to the consumer so can only do 300 miles on one tank. If you live in cali you can refuel. It will be awkward for a while but this car will get you so much ass I think it's worth it. Not for me tho I'm married!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iNcog wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
iNcog wrote:some good ideas in this thread, just worded quite poorly

the root cause of all these problems is over-population really

I don't think so, there is enough arable land and fresh water on earth to sustain the population, and the rest of the resources we just have to be careful with. With extensive recycling we probably have enough of the other resources (such as metals) to sustain quite a large population. And of course the energy problem can be solved with more green alternatives. Don't see how "overpopulation" is a problem at all.

Energy is already a problem for the developed world, most of our energy (not just 50%, probably closer to 80%) already comes from fossil fuels or natural gas. France is an exception since they use nuclear fission a lot. Basically most of the world's energy needs are being accommodated by a cheap resource which is also limited and polluting: fossil fuels.

Making the transition to "renewable" energy is not really viable yet, since those sources are simply not as powerful as fossil fuels (energy over a certain time) and they're also more expensive to set up. I'm not sure about the numbers, but maintenance is probably also expensive.

Look at electric cars for instance, which are supposed to be clean. They run off of fossil fuels anyway, lol, the fossil fuels being used to generate electricity in the first place. Electric batteries also generate a lot of toxic waste when they are produced, with no easy (read: cheap) way of dealing with that.

There's also the problem of stocking energy. Fossil fuels have a lot of energy per volume (or mass if you want to use that), they completely demolish electric batteries in that regard. Renewable energies are nice because they give a low, but relatively constant flow of energy. But it's not possible to actually stock that energy efficiently for later use. This is bad for aerial and maritime transportation (e.g. the blood of the world's economy).

It's fine to say "just make more solar panels / windmills", but when you look at the actual numbers, it doesn't quite add up as well as we'd like to.

All of that to say that we are over-extending in our energy consumption, with the people we already have. What happens when our population doubles, with more than just the current first world countries getting access to cars, computing and other high energy needs? We're gonna get rekt.

That just sounds to me like were not doing enough to solve and prevent the problem, it doesn't sound like an intrinsic population problem. Even if we only had 4 billion people we would run into the same problem (running out of fossil fuels) which yeah would happen later, but that would slao mean progress in alternative technologies would be even slower
last time i cryed was because i stood on Legoļ»æ
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

CLIMATE CHANGE HYPE BOIS!!
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iNcog wrote:yeah that's fair enough, can't really disagree with that

though i really think that overpopulation exacerbates the problem, in a way that can't be neglected, not gonna lie

Yeah thats true, i think the less people we had, the smoother the transition would be. However i would guess we still have some more time to get ready and as we get closer people will start taking it more seriously, but who knows, its possible we might not be ready in time. I wish there was a presidential candidate who made a bigger deal about funding for sciencific research
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

iwillspankyou wrote:Here is another video - easier to understand?? maybe?

this is the FUTURE :D

This vid is 2 hours! :o I think you're right. We need some Thorium in our energy mix. But I see Norway has 15% of world Thorium reserves! Hmmmm interesting :) Why is it whenever the world needs energy Norway always gets richer!!!??? :lol:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

iNcog wrote:Cooling the world is unrealistic, but you could probably eliminate tons of CO2 by planting trees. Young trees consume quite a large amount of CO2 (more so than older trees who are mostly done with their growth spurt), not sure exactly how much but it's probably in the hundreds of kg (that's me being cautious, it's probably up to a tonne) for a 20 to 30 year old tree.

Reforestation policies would be incredibly healthy for the planet. Not to mention wood is capable of stocking a lot of energy in a chemical form, though it isn't as energy dense as fossil fuels.

That would help, and maybe also genetically modifying phytoplankton to convert more CO2 to oxygen, as they already provide a large majority (70%) of our oxygen.
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

climate hacks are just another way of avoiding the issue
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

iNcog wrote:300 miles

isn't that like 500 km? off the top of my head i think that's what it is

so that's OK really, but still not good enough :P

i think it could be a real solution though, at least when it comes to cars and land transportation. i'm curious how they handle hydrogen safely

like I said it's 1st gen so the range will pick up. It's not a car you drive to work, it's a car you pick a girl up for a date. Arrive in a corvette and she'll think you have a tiny wang. Arrive in a clarity and she knows you're packing upstairs and downstairs 8-)