WHO JUST FUCKING HATES MATHS???

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.

Thoughts on maths? Like/Dislike

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2016, 09:46

I love it
52%
yeh sure
13%
meh
13%
Dont Like it
11%
FUCK NO!!! I hate it
11%

Total votes: 54

Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

WHO JUST FUCKING HATES MATHS???

Post by sirmusket »

I do :(
Finland fungu
Musketeer
ESO: vati

Re: WHO JUST FUCKING HATES MATHS???

Post by fungu »

Oh well, beats QS
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

fungu wrote:Oh well, beats QS

QS?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

maths is okay.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Jerom wrote:maths is okay.

Blasphemy.
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger

Post by sirmusket »

Jerom wrote:maths is okay.

depends, some shit ok, some shit just wanna fall asleep in class xD :chinese: :chinese:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I really dislike it because it's boring and just about anything involving real numbers can be solved via computer so learning it always seemed like a waste of time
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Learning mathematics isn't about how to use numbers. It has to with learning to use logic and reasoning, solve problems using methodologies and it's a powerful tool for science and humanities.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Calculus is fun; Statistics is stupid.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Maths are alright. Only went up to uni first year (differential calc). Probably would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have so much other shit to do at the same time, it seems to me that maths just take up so much time and you can't really learn them properly while taking 4-5 other courses.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

BrookG wrote:Learning mathematics isn't about how to use numbers. It has to with learning to use logic and reasoning, solve problems using methodologies and it's a powerful tool for science and humanities.
No it's really not.....its about memorizing a bunch of formula and than plugging in the correct numbers.......at least everything I've taken(calc 2 and down) is
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Maths is meh. Never been great at it by any stretch of the imagination.

It's really some sort of miracle I've made it this far in my schooling.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

gibson wrote:
BrookG wrote:Learning mathematics isn't about how to use numbers. It has to with learning to use logic and reasoning, solve problems using methodologies and it's a powerful tool for science and humanities.
No it's really not.....its about memorizing a bunch of formula and than plugging in the correct numbers.......at least everything I've taken(calc 2 and down) is

My last serious contact with maths was at high school and apart from algebra, it has little to do with actual numbers, especially calculus and intergral calculus.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

BrookG wrote:
gibson wrote:

My last serious contact with maths was at high school and apart from algebra, it has little to do with actual numbers, especially calculus and intergral calculus.
Thats just not true lol. Calc and calc 2 are almost purely numbers and 99.99% of the practical applications of math have to do with real numbers
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

its fine
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

sirmusket wrote:I do :(

Ask to bpdscolony. He is good at mathing
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

gibson wrote:I really dislike it because it's boring and just about anything involving real numbers can be solved via computer so learning it always seemed like a waste of time

Seemed like, perhaps, but I hope by now you see how valuable it was? Learning math is the best kind of brain-training, just like Go :smile:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

gibson wrote:
BrookG wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Thats just not true lol. Calc and calc 2 are almost purely numbers and 99.99% of the practical applications of math have to do with real numbers

There are very many applications invilving complex numbers, but what does it matter to you? Computers can also solve problems involving complex numbers
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

As an active student for last year of school, its my favourite subject cuz I can spend 3-4 hour studying it without getting tired :)

Calculus and Trigonometry <3
Matrices are also cool.

I hate the relations, functions, probability, statistics, they just make no sense lol

I don't like chemistry, i just cant memorize anything :|

physics is ok, but still boring :S
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Unfortunately in real life 90% of what you are taught goes useless :|

Cooking is a better subject.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Goodspeed wrote:
gibson wrote:I really dislike it because it's boring and just about anything involving real numbers can be solved via computer so learning it always seemed like a waste of time

Seemed like, perhaps, but I hope by now you see how valuable it was? Learning math is the best kind of brain-training, just like Go :smile:
No, in retrospect it seems like even more of a waste of time than when I was taking math courses. Why should I bother to learn something when I can use a computer to do it 10x faster with a much higher chance of getting the correct solution? In fact, I'm convinced at this point that school in general is a waste of time. I'm about to start my 14th year of this shit. I would estimate that a majority of what I "learned" is fact based( Natural sciences, social studies, and a large portion of both mathematics and English). This is a complete and utter waste of time. Anytime I need to know any of these things I can pull out my phone and find it in under 30 seconds generally. It's not even learning, its just brute memorization. Some things are of course valuable, learning to write papers, think critically, and the process behind certain math equations. I'm a business major, and so far literally everything that I've taken in college has been useless and I've forgotten a few weeks after taking the final. For highly technical fields ( Doctor, engineer etc) its ofc worth it but I would learn so much more if I did 4 years of internships rather than wasting my time in class. I would be so much more prepared for the workforce, but the sad thing is even though a me who had 4 years of internships would do a better job than a me who had a bachelors degree, the me who has the degree is more qualified and will earn more money in the long run.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

gibson wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:

No, in retrospect it seems like even more of a waste of time than when I was taking math courses. Why should I bother to learn something when I can use a computer to do it 10x faster with a much higher chance of getting the correct solution? In fact, I'm convinced at this point that school in general is a waste of time. I'm about to start my 14th year of this shit. I would estimate that a majority of what I "learned" is fact based( Natural sciences, social studies, and a large portion of both mathematics and English). This is a complete and utter waste of time. Anytime I need to know any of these things I can pull out my phone and find it in under 30 seconds generally. It's not even learning, its just brute memorization. Some things are of course valuable, learning to write papers, think critically, and the process behind certain math equations. I'm a business major, and so far literally everything that I've taken in college has been useless and I've forgotten a few weeks after taking the final. For highly technical fields ( Doctor, engineer etc) its ofc worth it but I would learn so much more if I did 4 years of internships rather than wasting my time in class. I would be so much more prepared for the workforce, but the sad thing is even though a me who had 4 years of internships would do a better job than a me who had a bachelors degree, the me who has the degree is more qualified and will earn more money in the long run.

Well do you want them to start you off with advanced level mathematics that you can't plug into a computer lol?
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Maths is awesome. That is all.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

@gibson Most those you said are true. However the question still remains, and yet the modern education systems haven't answered. What subject should we learn in school from level to level?

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ovi12 wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Well do you want them to start you off with advanced level mathematics that you can't plug into a computer lol?
I understand that but it shouldn't take a year to learn that 2+2=4